Sign in to follow this  
ModaFlanker

MHQ destroyable by friendly/griefer fire.  Why?

Why would anyone working on the Warfare mission think it was a great idea to have the Mobile Headquarters, which we can *NOT* rebuild, be destroyable by friendly or griefer fire?

People invest several hours of their gaming time on an excellent well fought map and it gets ruined not because one team did the right thing, but because a griefer joins the game and satchels the MHQ to death [or uses a tank on it].

This harms Warfare terribly, and drives players away.

I have actually seen a modder actually not care about this, who also refused to explain why.  I had asked if it was impossible to do or if he refused, and he said he refused to change it.

I guess that's why I stopped ever being a commander.  I hate investing a lot of work making my HQ a fortress just to have someone ruin it so easily like that.

Worse, there are *NO* messages that say, "GrieferIdiot is causing damage to the HQ!" before we get the "The HQ has been destroyed!" message.  We can't tell who did the damage to ban them!

Sometimes I've had to ask the opposing team, "Did you just kill our MHQ right now?  Is anyone claiming to have done so?" and then some players get upset because now I've let the other team know that our MHQ is down and all they have to do is destroy the remaining factories to wipe us out [a psychological tactical advantage].

I'm not interested in staring at the MHQ straight for hours on end to stop it [or catch who is doing it].

So if any of you have modded Warfare, and yet you think it is absolutely essential that the Mobile Headquarters be easily destroyed by friendly fire...

I just have to ask.

WHY?!

banghead.gif

perhaps we could set it so you cant destroy the hq but have to win by capping all the towns.

I thought there was a setting in the files to do this

destroy hq = false or something

but that dosnt seem to work....

anybody got it to work so you have to cap all towns and not destroy hq please let me know

Wouldn't turning friendly fire off... or on, whichever one stops you from hurting your own team, work?

Because it would be unrealistic to have otherwise ..... the game will always be full of dickheads who are either pissed off or think its funny to hobble their own side.

Was faced with it for many years with CTI, nothings different.

Lets face it, blowing it up is just 1 of a 100 things they could do.

...... simply jump in it and drive it towards the opposition.

a "no friendly fire kill" option wont save it then!

Simply kick the dickheads or play on a server with reliable people.

Gnat @ Aug. 21 2008,19:30)]Simply kick the dickheads or play on a server with reliable people.

2 solutions, 2 problems. No one is around to kick these morons and no one has a server that is respectable, unless it’s locked, then honest people like I can't get in.

I guess this is why AI was developed in the first place; too bad the AI is stupid to figure out its head from its ass.

lol... true.

I don't have a problem with the AI's combat abilities... with the SLX mod they are a good fight now... but their pathfinding SUCKS. You just cant go into cities on ArmA or your AI take days to move because they go off randomly and get lost lol.

And then theres always the possibility of making your own server. Although client based servers do run slower, if any of you have a powerful PC just get a bunch of your friends here together.

Gnat @ Aug. 22 2008,02:30)]Lets face it, blowing it up is just 1 of a 100 things they could do.

...... simply jump in it and drive it towards the opposition.

a "no friendly fire kill" option wont save it then!

Simply kick the dickheads or play on a server with reliable people.

Did you even read what I wrote?

If so, you'd have realized I had written that THERE IS NO INDICATION OF WHO DID THE DAMAGE so how do we ban them in the first place?

If I am playing as commander, they can't drive it off like that. The worst they can do is switch sides, knowing where it is, BUT AT LEAST I have an opportunity to stop them with very tough base defenses even if they know where to beeline towards!

I'm asking for the capability as commander to be able to run an actual long, hard fought map.  Without it, I REFUSE TO BE COMMANDER.  Its not worth the investment.

"Unrealistic" is an extremely lame excuse, because there are "1 of a 100 things" that are already unrealistic about ArmA, that if we were to make it realistic following that anal-retentive approach, no one would be playing.

"Unrealistic" really means, "I don't have a better explanation, I just want to ignore this problem".

Thanks for replying, but what you wrote is absolutely worthless.

Wouldn't turning friendly fire off... or on, whichever one stops you from hurting your own team, work?

As far as I know there is no such option at the map/mission selection screen. It has to be coded into the mission.

could we put a trigger around it so that only commanders can go near it , and another so that friendly cant fire weapons at it.

just an idea anybody else got any other ideas how to sort this out.

mhq addeventhandler ["hit", {if (side (_this select 1) == side (_this select 0)) then {server sidechat format ["%1 is attacking your MHQ! Damage reset.", _this select 1]; (_this select 0) setdamage (damage (_this select 0)) - _this select 2}}];

Or something to that extent. tounge2.gif Might not stop insta-kills though, or kills-by-small-arms-fire, but hey, better than nowt.

Wolfrug out.

Thanks for replying, but what you wrote is absolutely worthless.

hahaha ..... I think thats called a hissy fit!

Quote[/b] ]mhq addeventhandler ["hit", {if (side (_this select 1) == side (_this select 0)) then {server sidechat format ["%1 is attacking your MHQ! Damage reset.", _this select 1]; (_this select 0) setdamage (damage (_this select 0)) - _this select 2}}];

Wolfrug. I put this in my Initialization line for mhq and tested it.

It Didnt work.

However maybe we can put our heads together and create a script that means the mhq, packed or unpacked is destructable by "same side" ?

Thanks.

Would a TK sort of script work, as is in the default game but more severe. So if a friendly hits the MHQ and does more than XXX damage total (as sometimes people shoot the MHQ by an accidental discharge so you wouldnt want it an ANY damage at all)

Just a suggestion, and probably should only be tried if you cant figure out a way to do a no friendly fire script.

Wolfrug. I put this in my Initialization line for mhq and tested it.

It Didnt work.

However maybe we can put our heads together and create a script that means the mhq, packed or unpacked is destructable by "same side" ?

Thanks.

Probably because the MHQ isn't the same vehicle when it's unpacked. smile_o.gif So it'd need to be something that's added into the scripting, I'm afraid. Although I have no idea how it'll work in MP either (are eventhandlers global? smile_o.gif). It's just a thought.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Gnat: I vented more anger at you than I would've liked. Its not personal and I won't take anything you've said personal too.

Thank you to everyone who has been contributing to this thread! It means a lot to me to see people trying to do something about this. notworthy.gif

I was told that anti-griefing tools will be put into the RBT maps on the XR server too. That is excellent news indeed, its my favorite mod that I play on most of the time! smile_o.gif