Sign in to follow this  
StefX

New ArmA II Pictures!

72 @ Aug. 26 2008,07:15)]
It was done in Arma by Mapfact team and even in OFP by Franze with his AH-64's (only mentioning public releases), that's not to say its easy to do.

Btw LOAL and LOBL are both climbing missile firemodes, just with different ranges and height ceilings.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/agm-114.htm

Scroll down and read the text under the 4 trajectory boxes.

Yeah.

My point was that its already done and that BIS could take a look at the scripts to see how it was done. If i made scripts for ArmA and BIS wanted to implement it, id have no problems with it, as it would make the whole thing better and with less needs of addons. But then again, im no scripter and i do respect addon makers that wouldnt like that ofcourse. smile_o.gif

And i never meant it to be "easy" (i know it isnt easy to make these scripts). Just easy for BIS to at least look at the scripts and come up with something themselves. If they implement it themselves - it should be something similar in code i guess. I dont know how many different ways you can make the same thing in ArmA, as im no scripter. wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

while you might think this way, many scripters/modders are not happy about this "HEY! this is my work!" "THEIF!!!" etc will start raining down upon BI's head eventhrough there is notthing wrong from the law side.

from most side they maybe right to a point: its should have been BIs job to make all this stuff.

but when you really want to add human factor into the equation the answer would be a bit different, as there is always many people(me included) will not like certain part of the game, and if BI keep it open then there might be a chance that modders/scripters are able to make a much better result then BI themself doing it, all they have to do later is to optimum the efficiency and place these changes into a patch, but this is like gambling IMO

Rather wholehearted community work than halfassed by people in ties I say.

Rather wholehearted community work than halfassed by people in ties I say.

as long as those "wholehearted community" are not "copyright freaks" wink_o.gif

Nothing is stopping them from asking, stealing something from someone without asking for permission and asking someone to contribute with what they got is two entirely separate things wink_o.gif

one thing are scripts and another is native code ...

plus not to mention there are so many 'lil' features to add and tweak You would need whole team just for that and nothing else ...

so maybe wiser is just to prepare ground and e.g. with first patch release 'community script suite' or so ...

My 2 cents:

I think there's absolutelly NO problem about BIS using user made scripts and addons since normally developers of open-architecture games like ArmA (and other like Flight Simulator, Wings Over Vietnam/Europe/Israel, etc...) impose as a rule that all user made content (Addons, Scripts, Models, etc...) may and can be freely used by the game developers without the need of any permission.

...normally developers of open-architecture games like ArmA (and other like Flight Simulator, Wings Over Vietnam/Europe/Israel, etc...) impose as a rule that all user made content (Addons, Scripts, Models, etc...) may and can be freely used by the game developers without the need of any permission.

I don't remember agreeing to such a condition when I started modding icon_rolleyes.gif

There definitely would be a problem if they just stole people's work.

I don't know if you remember "DARWARS Ambush!". Some company made it using the OFP engine and used community content in it without permission, even claiming it as their own. People were pissed. I don't know the full story, but there are some people around that do.

What's wrong with just asking for permission and paying people for their work? I believe the developers of Unreal Tournament did that smile_o.gif

I don't remember agreeing to such a condition when I started modding icon_rolleyes.gif

I believe it is in the EULA when you start using O2 or Visitor. Im not sure though.

Yes, those rules that nobody reads but neverthless are still very present. wink_o.gif

Yes, those rules that nobody reads but neverthless are still very present.  wink_o.gif

I read it and there is no such condition. See for yourself here.

It is also possible to create mods without using BIS tools.

I know I agreed to make my work redistributable if I used BIS content as a basis, but I don't think this applies to scripts that are made with notepad or 100% original content.

Though can you really create a p3d file without oxygen ?

Or add functions without using arma script commands ?

There are bottlenecks where you have to use bis tools in any case... and I don't think that algorithms are patentable in Europe anyway... (it's considered like mathematical formulas I think).

As far as "what you can and can not do" I remember that if anything is made in O2 it can NOT be sold for profit, but I'm sure I could use another sweep..

As for the scripts I figured I'd toss out there that deriving it from the community wouldn't be such a great thing on 2 reasons. 1. outcry and 2. several people make the same things via scripts but only with a few small tweaks.

Say Franze's LOAL/LOBL script vs Mapfacts, how do we know whose was used, who gets any credit and so on, is it the one who did it first? Basicly the sum of what I'm getting at is he worry of clone codes.

Of course the irony of the thing is that people want these features but will mos likely revolt if BIS takes a short cut by using an example of their scripts.

Again, it is not hard to ask the author before steps like these are taken.

would be great if in subsequent Arma 2 patches BIS took a look at any good community mods/scripts/additions etc and rolled them into official patches.. with authors permission of course.

Not sure how many mod creators would turn down the possibility of having their stuff become official.

Bit of a pipe dream of extreme dev/community cooperation though sad_o.gif

BIS works close with the US and some other countries military so im pretty sure they know what they are doing.

I thought that was BIA?

SahraniRadio brings you 2 new Exclusive screenshots or ArmA2

SR_russian_mout_2.jpg

It looks like one of the first images which showoff some building destruction.

SR_chedaki_attack.jpg

A local gives directions to the troops.

Dont forget to tune in to our ArmA2 special with Ivan Buchta @ http://sahraniradio.armedassault.eu:8000

Episode 1 - Saturday 27 september at 20:00 GMT+1

Episode 2 - Saturday 4 October at 20:00 GMT+1

<span id='ME'><center>colossus  starts drewling dribble.gif</center></span>

Oh, that's just mean. Two episodes!?  band.gif  tounge2.gif

notworthy.gif

Were those screenshots edited or not?  inlove.gif

These screens were not edited in any way.

It's all ingame - terrain, models, postprocesses, ...

is the AI being setanim or working acturally like that?(using tank as cover, shooting over fence instead of trying to go around them)

...with proper working handsignals/gestures for player and AI?

Would be nice to see it in stealth missons or wherever radio isnt allowed/possible. smile_o.gif