Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Why is everyone so concerned about online gaming?

So many wonder why "no one is playing ArmedA" yet they are simply going by the number of players online.

I haven't tried this online as yet but from other gaming experiences online I'm know when I do I will be VERY careful about the server I chose to play on.

The bots may not be the most intelligent but they are smarter than quit a few players I've met online..believe me!!

Probably thousands are like me..enjoying the SP aspect of the game and not having to be worried about being TK's by some smacktard , having our position given away by some fool (when you tell the bots to hold their fire , they do , until told to engage).

Many other reasons to chose SP over MP at the moment.

So don't assume just because not everyone is interested in playing with a group of smacktard online that no one is playing the game.

You may call me pessimistic about online play and you'd be right. Too many games flaunt the "team work" aspect while too many players bring their Quake/Halo playing style to the game.

And IMO that just doesn't uphold the spirit of ArmedA.

That's because you play in public serves, find a clan (GOL, for example, they are making a dinamic campaing) and you will see that there, cheters and TKs are only a bad dream.

Oh please...

Quote[/b] ]I haven't tried this online as yet but from other gaming experiences online
Quote[/b] ]The bots may not be the most intelligent but they are smarter than quit a few players I've met online..believe me!!

Hard to believe you when you contradict yourself in the same paragraph.

Most of the "smacktards" have left Armed Assault long ago... Most players are decent and mean well. Granted I've been TK'd a few times but a simple apology and acknowledgment of the accident is all I need from them.. They happen in real life too.

It is true that the servers you enter are important, knowing which servers have no problem cracking the whip if things get out of hand - and there is plenty. Other servers require addon signatures, which I'm also sure you've read about in your research prior to posting this thread. Also some servers are good enough to leave a Teamspeak address in the server messages so you can remain in constant contact - especially when the occasional "Woops sorry dude I didn't know you were there" happens.

So you assume you know everything about playing online with Arma... You assume you know how other players act to eachother... You accuse most players acting like this is Quake/Halo/CS type of a game...

I play online for about 3-4 hours a day and I completely resent whatever it is your trying to convey as truth but haven't even experienced...

I choose not to play online cuse of cheaters.

+1

Cheaters ruining nearly every Game that can be played online.

That should be seen as a crime, because it costs the Companies more than only a few costumers. pistols.gif

I had this huge post all typed out and read it and decided it was gonna fall on Deaf ears anyways so I pulled it. I think it's a combination of stuff actually.

i play online from time to time, not everynight but every third or 5th night tounge2.gif

Imo i don't have time to get engaged in clans and setting up Ts and stuff, i just wanna join in for a "quick" experience of 2-5 hours and then do something else smile_o.gif like sleeping.

I had this huge post all typed out and read it and decided it was gonna fall on Deaf ears anyways so I pulled it. I think it's a combination of stuff actually.

Man, I hate it when I do that too, I get all uppety and write an essay and then I just think: what does this change? It can be said in a sentence can't it? And then I hate myself for wasting time writing an essay.

But yeah, MP is cheater ridden unless there's an admin around.

Quote[/b] ]Man, I hate it when I do that too, I get all uppety and write an essay and then I just think: what does this change?

Yeah I've done that too - usually when someone totally pisses me off. Sometimes I end up not posting - LOL.

But everything that needed to be said was wrapped up by Benoist in one sentence.

But if you don't want to be part of a clan, try to hook up with some people who want to play on a regular basis and see if you can start some regularly-scheduled sessions.

I do share your viewpoint when it comes to adverserial. In that case, you not only have to find one team with "character" but two - doubling the difficulty. With co-op, you only need to find one bunch of guys who are interested in good gaming.

I haven't been playing ArmA long but its obvious that some pretty spectacular missions can be achieved in ArmA in MP co-op. Especially when you hook up with people who are disciplined and dedicated to teamwork. In VietCong, there were servers run by clans that were called zero tolerance servers - dedicated to teamplay-coop. And if you didn't follow your Team Leader's orders, you were gone. It's those kind of servers where you can really achieve some great gaming.

Pretty soon I'll be putting out the 'Welcome' sign as I start my own MP co-op server but only for peeps dedicated to teamplay. I expect the ArmA community to be no more "freaky" and no less friendly than other communities. So far, I've met some good people.

Oh please...

Most of the "smacktards" have left Armed Assault long ago...

I play online for about 3-4 hours a day and I completely resent whatever it is your trying to convey as truth but haven't even experienced...

Right on Victor, don't let anyone lump us Arma players in with all those smacktards out there!

BeerHunter, because of your slander, I will be sure to TK you over and over to teach you a lesson.

tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif

I don't play on public servers that often, and I'm not saying that cheating doesn't happen, but I've never experienced any cheating in any significant way. Most of the time I play in a small group of friends on a local machine, and sometimes we go to a server in case we feel like a bigger game... but I feel like the mulitplayer element of ArmA is its strongest feature. I really like all of the planning and mutual support that's possible in ArmA due to it's very broad scope. We were playing Bravo 6's Laser Stamp mission today, coordinating air and ground elements and we had a whale of a time. I've only had such a great time playing a single player ofp/arma session playing the Blue Skies ofp campaign.

I'm enjoying Warfare 1.1 set up as LAN single player game very much.

I prefer OFP actually to ArmA, I own 2 copies of ArmA along with QG but I can't seem to figure out why i cant stand it. 1 reason is the sighting I know and the perfomance issues. I have a pretty good machine that ranks to the top when tested at CanYouRunIt but i never am able to get the game to run smooth unless i dumb it so far down and make it 640x480 and im sorry I only get at best 30 frames. So until i find that magical hardware combo the game likes or they fix it it will stay on the shelf and i will enjoy my OFP.

Many not playing arma is because they choose to make addons for ArmA  crazy_o.gif  And i think addon creation is one of the "fun" parts of ArmA..  biggrin_o.gif One of the reasons why i don't play ArmA online that often, i play O2, 3d max and photoshop instead.... And community is older in ArmA, unlike CSS, where kids can play CSS every day after school....

Perhaps you misunderstood or I didn't express myself well enough.

I was simply trying to state that SP was indeed a viable option to MP and that though I haven't played ArmedA online as yet (learning and time contraints) I have played many other online games and have yet to play one that was free of server infesting smacktards.

It seems these days that games HAVEto have MP capability before people will even consider them while many are just as much,if not more , fun in SP.

That's all.

And I didn't contradict myself. I haven;t played ArmedA online but have played many other games online.

I was simply trying to state that SP was indeed a viable option to MP and that though I haven't played ArmedA online as yet (learning and time contraints) I have played many other online games and have yet to play one that was free of server infesting smacktards.

It seems these days that games HAVEto have MP capability before people will even consider them while many are just as much,if not more , fun in SP.

That's all.

And I didn't contradict myself. I haven;t played ArmedA online but have played many other games online.

For online experience you have to join some dedicated community, or play orginized gaming nights. for example Zeus Server http://ofp-zeus.com/nuke/, but here we are all about realism so don't expect games to be C&H, or CTF.. but atleast no cheaters are found...

To get most out of arma you really need to join some tournament or clan.

Personally i cant even remember when i have last time played on public MP server. i love arma, but still i play it only on sundays..

if you was to play to play MP i would look for servers that are protected by anticheater programmes like dooacs or battleeye, or even signiture checking enabled.... at kellys heroes we have all three enabled and we have a clean and protected server.. only the so called smackheads who only join to TK and act like a retard to spoil the game for others but they just end up in our long and ever growing Ban list

on the other hand i havent even tried SP before, i dont plan too either, our clan has a resonable good number of people who join us knowing there going to have an excellent game of arma and come back time and again becouse we are covered from hackers and smacktards,

MP can be the best experience going in arma but its down to yourself and the guys who you play with too make it into the best experience.

I bought QG when it first came out, and the first 500 hours i spent in the game i only did offline, and i have had some of the best of times on a computer with those hours. recently I've spent about 200 hours online, and i have also had some of the best times I've ever had on a computer.

I have enough experience to say that i like both very much.

the problem with offline is that you don't have the coop of other real people

The problem with online is that you do get the shmeg heads that mess it up with everyone else.

I like the editor aspect of the game, and i think that is the best

I got this sim in november last year and tested online probably a miximum of about 2 hours in total.

I never get bored with SP at all, especially with the mods out and making your own scenarios and missions.

That said i've been looking to play online and not once have i thought about a public server. If I want to experience this sim correctly its got to be a clan for me, GOL seems good and also Operation reality.

I don't have much time to be a "regular enroller" so far I haven't joined up, when I do .. its clan all the way or SP.

online play takes a lot of commitment and time. sp play is much less demanding.

the sp market is often overlloked by devs in the last couple of years, with the mp hype. it has still alarger market share, particulary with grown up players who have enough competition and stress in their jobs. competing with others in online games is often too frustrating to them. sp players are much more silent however and ca easily overlooked.

Thanks for the thread, parent poster. You've made a good point, that you like the game well enough and only play SP.

I'd like to offer a counterpoint. Just my opinion, but with all the possibilities that Arma provides with it's scripting/addons, I think there is a serious lack of good MP missions.

There doesn't seem to be that much variety in the MP games, but I think there is room for more lower-player-count missions. Like 6-8 player missions that are heavily scripted with story lines, dialog, characters and objectives. You could practically make a playable movie with Arma, and I think the possibilities have not been fully utilized.

Also, where are the weird missions? Star destroyers, the USS Enterprise, aliens, Dinosaurs, animals, melee combat, different worlds, altered physics?

That's all.

I think the only way for you to find out what MP is like is to try rather than assume the worst. My own MP experience is some servers are worth playing on and some are not. Its quite simple just stick to the good servers. As for SP the campaigns on both Arma and QG are quite good I've managed to complete both but once you've done that I suggest downloading evolution and trying that on a private server although most servers that run EVO are coop so everyones fighting against the AI.

I just hate the default SP part of ArmA its so much worse when compared to OFP's campaigns and singleplayer missions I actually never completed even 1 of the campaigns.

I preffer editting or fooling around with some of my mates in MP.