Sign in to follow this  
Ferox.UK

best  sound mod?

hi all

just wondering what your thoughts are on the best sound mod?

i have tried fdf,chammys,fromz and hifi

personally i like fromz latest efforts

the rest are good too,but i had problems with hifi as blackhawk was wayyyyyy too loud

I'm probably going to stick with Fromz too though I found that all of them added some excitement to the game compared to the stock sounds and all had some sounds that were disappointing.

But I'm sure with every one of them you'd have some complaints. I'm not too keen on the "going prone" sound that some mods use - IMHO, it should be way shorter and far less dramatic. Even after you've stopped moving the sound continues.

I also can't stand the sound of enemy fire in ArmA - I find it really hard to believe that that is the sound of being shot at. It sounds like someone breaking twigs.

I think the stock ArmA sound of the M16 might be somewhat close to accurate. In everything I've read, the sound of a Vietnam War firefight was whump-whump-whump, whack-whack-whack with "whump" being the sound of the M16 and "whack" being the AK-47. And, the M16 sound is similar to the M16 sound in VietCong (the game). Still, it's very underwhelming and I prefer some of the modded versions - even if they do sound like you're going duck-hunting!  tounge2.gif

I have to say that some of the chopper sounds in the mods are brilliant. It's like they took the stock sound and added some high-pitched whine of spinning metal. Felt like you were right in the cockpit.

BTW. i tried all the ones you mentioned (except Hi Fi) plus AACF and Modern Warfare. I think a new one (WGL?) was just released.

cheers. i will try aacf and modern warfare tomorrow night after work yay.gif

i like hifi the most but i hate the loud breathing so i use fromz. fdf is great to but a bit to loud.

Hi

lol, no sexpest style heavy breathing in my latest updates Hifi 1.5 & Hifi Wafare, try em you may like em...

Armaholic Download link

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3051

Best Regards

Mark XIII

{Edit}

Working hard on an update to get the choppers 'perfect', ie; sounding at the right volumes for distance/point blank. The blackhawk IS the main culprit but the rest could do with some tweaking, as soon as I get some more online playtesting time, this will be resolved quickly.

i love hifi too. im still waiting on chammy to release his Beta 2 of CSM. looks pretty good aswell.

one thing about hi fi tho. is when bullets fly by your head. and the sonics cracks explode i get a sense of hearing loss. kinds buggs me

and WGL. well. sounds nothing like in teh video. teh sonic cracks in game. sound like soem one is dropping little pins on a sheet of thin Tin. the distant combat noises sound nice though.

If Hi-Fi had the WGL bullet cracks, it would be perfect. I'm playing around with Chammy's V1, Hi-Fi, WGL, and Fromz right now, trying them all out again. The new X-Fi drivers did wonders for my sound in Arma, so it's a whole new experience for each one.

will be very intrested in hifi again Mark XIII when chopper vol levels are tweaked,nice one

Well, I gotta say, ffamm 1.4p gets my vote, it really blew open the game for me as I'd really been disapointed with the rest up until that point, an ofcourse got me into sound modding...it was the closest thing I'd come to a perfect mod, polo's config also made slightly more sense to me than some of the other's I'd studied before working on hifi..

I'd recommend trying 1.4p to anyone, its got tons of atmosphere (something polo's very good at creating).

To be fair, I've yet to have a good go with the new one ffamm 1.5, although after watching & listening to the promo, alot of the sounds sounded like they were suffereing from clipping (too loud when recorded/remixed) an it kinda put me off...Still I'll get round to playing it someday, when I'm not so dang busy trying to fix my now broken config & heli sounds....

I'd also recommend chammy's work too, the only thing that ever bothered me about this mod was the smallarms fire, it always sounded too distant to me, so I guess thats quite a big selling point of the mod, although, his explosion sounds & pretty much everything else rocks the casbah so check it out if you have yet to.

Good Hunting

Mark XIII

what i look for in a good sound mod is smallarms fire, explosions, and vehicle sounds, i would highly recommend HiFi 1.5, all the sounds are taken from RL sounds, and not crappy pootube sounds that are pretty low standard, you get a real feeling of being in a real battle envioment with hifi, excellent random explosion sounds, very high standard smallarms fire, and ofcouse mark is working extremely hard getting inch perfect vehicle sounds. Thats what draws me so much to hifi, so guys who ever hasent checkd hifi out do so now or your be missing out

Hi

lol, no sexpest style heavy breathing in my latest updates Hifi 1.5 & Hifi Wafare, try em you may like em...

Armaholic Download link

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3051

Best Regards

Mark XIII

using hifi again. this mod really deserves its name. excellent work!

Comparison is meaningless, every sound mods are the authors' point, we should acknowledge and recognize their works and contributions.

Perhaps tired when you listen to a sound mod will set our sights on another, and maybe you would not listen used to go try a new experience.

I have given the authors of HIfi, AACF a little help, but it's just negligible help. They give us whole new amazing works.

I just hope that we can consider making a lot of care and thought on their hard works.

My personal favorite is: FFAMM and FDF, but CSM to give me ideas, AACF and HiFi give me motive force for innovation once again...

Everyone do their best is the real BEST

Not the TOP ONE, only the most suitable for you.

Regards

Polo Fromz

^^It depends on what your aiming for, some people think about making a sound mod, then they do it...thats about it, no thoughts on innovation, no thoughts on better performance & NO working around the arma engine.. To be honest its the community that moulds a mod, that polishes it. I could have stopped making versions at 1.4, yet here I am making a sneaky 1.6, why, because theres still lots to add.

How many guys here who make soundmods use 44khz sounds? You will find that most of them do, yet i wonder how many people know that my samples are all 22khz, why, because I wanted to offer more than just good sound, to me performance an immersion run side by side, without one your not enjoying the other. I guess we're all trying hard to give a different feeling to the game, an if one person downloads and likes it, thats good enough, after all...whitenoise would be better than bis's placeholder sounds.

Comparison/competetion, is in my opinion a healthy thing, it makes us work harder to achieve new levels of atmosphere, I'm not bein funny with polo here, we just differ in opinion I guess, besides without this gentleman, afew of us sound guys would be without configs....  crazy_o.gif

I would like to see all the guys come together..can you imagine what could happen if AACF,BPA, CSM, FDF, FFAMM & Hifi did a joint mod....wow

I say, if your new here, or you've yet to try them, you should make an effort to try them ALL, after all, all we as sound modders want is you the players to enjoy our efforts..

Enjoy the game...

Best Regards

Mark XIII

HiFi.

BTW: I live not far away from an airport, Mi17s fly quite often almost above our house and I can tell you, they make a Noise! wink_o.gif

So I myself enjoy the loudness of helis in HiFi, theyre maybe a bit too loud, but better than those in stock ArmA.

About the bullet cracks in ArmA... they sure are disappointing. I cant believe in real it sounds like this. Where is the awesome ECP with that brilliant bullet/shell whiz? sad_o.gif

OFP with ECP had thousand times better firefights than ArmA has.

the awesome ECP with that brilliant bullet/shell whiz? sad_o.gif

Yeah when a tank shell went past your head,you knew about it!

Btw using HiFi here. xmas_o.gif

I've just started playing ArmA again after a 6 month break. I think I'll give HiFi and FFAMM a go to see which I prefer. The stock sounds could do with some beefing up.

FDF for armory sounds and ECS for ambient sounds (and system). I tried FROMZ and had mixed feelings about it.

General is purely for discussing vanilla, singleplayer ArmA.

Moving to A&M:D.