Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Open GL 3.0 - out soon

Hi Yesterday OpenGL 3.0 was announced, and what i have read it is at least as good as DX9 if not better and faster...

On top of that its plattform independent with a direct hardware access layer, and thus can for instance run Games also on Linux.

http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec30.20080811.pdf

I know its probably already to late for Arma2, since its coded in DX-only.... but i just want to throw that in for a nice discussion.

And who knows, if arma2 will be successful there will be maybe a expansion-pack like Resistance was for OFP (you remember it wasn't just some new mission and campaigns....).....

Aw, when I read about this in december I thought they were gonna rewrite GL from the start, but when reading that forum, they had only added some features.

they cleaned lot of stuff if you look closer they removed 4 ways and left only 1 which si simpler and faster ...

it's not that bad but it's not what was 'delayed' OGL 3 awaited to bring ...

but there are plans up to 3.5 so hard to say ...

Part of the problem is that a lot of folks really don't know what they're talking about when they start flinging the mud around. For all intents and purposes, OpenGL itself is little more than a structure to communicate primitives to the hardware. How those primitives are constructed and managed is a higher order problem.

Again to reference Carmack (someone needs to codify a Godwin's Law equivalent) OpenGL gives you the freedom to implement your renderer as you see fit, but you have to do it in its entirety. Conversely with Direct3D, you have a literally massive SDK that you can leverage to widget together your product. The downside though of D3D is if you are obsessive about doing things your way because you do indeed know better, you can't mod the D3D core, and plus you have the pleasure of updating your renderer to reflect the latest and greatest Monthly Microsoft Madness updates to the DirectX SDK.

A more appropriate comparison to make would be to take a higher-level scene-graph SDK for OpenGL, and compare that to DirectX. It's still not apples to apples, but with the amount of horse apples being flung it's not like that would make a whole lot of difference anyway.

I would dearly love to see a future version of Arma (or whatever it's called by then) which is platform independent. I've never played Arma and not a week goes by when I wish that it ran on linux.

Operation Flashpoint was the best game I've ever played and really the only game I was interested in playing once exposed.

You would think, given their core business with VBS that they are already considering OpenGL, many governments and armed forces are switching to alternative operating systems, including linux, as part of a cost reduction, infrastructure stability and attempt to free themselves of vendor lock-in. Assuming they have the foresight there is hope.

Directx 10/10.1 is problematic. Last time I checked 16% people use vista and their dx10 hype commercial didnt go well.

This is advantage of opengl, your work doesnt depend on microsofts plans.

But i dont think BI will change anything now. They already have a lot of work.

Developers should make multi-platform games, its more 9% of PC market.