Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Afghanistan Mountains

I am in the process of making a 4096x4096 Afghanistan Map, And i am looking for somebody to assist me!

Afghan (40km x 40km)

This map is a large empty area, designed for end user customization via templates. It is 40km x 40km of Geo-Specific terrain of central afghanistan. It is perfect for large air battles or large scale missions. It is only in BETA stage atm but i would like this to be a really good map eventually. Other aspects of the map are still WIP.

So I release this for people to work on. The PBO includes the Source Folder, You will need to place the Un-PBOed Folder in the P:\ Drive for it to work properley.

Contact me with any queries

If anybody is interested please Email me at: ilovefood11@hotmail.co.uk or Add me on MSN at the same Address,

I would like you guys/girls to tell me what i could add to improve this, atm it is just a massive 4096x4096 map with alot of Desert Grass!!

I was thinking about putting a FOB in there but not sure yet???

Thanks in advance, i will post some screenys v.shortly!

Screen of Sat_LCO:

2871447171_a880ea7978.jpg

Map + Source Release

I have released the earliest possible BETA because, I want other people to have a go at the map, as for 2 reasons I am not currently able to complete it.

1. Problem with Visitor 3

2. No time

I will continue to modify this map in the v.near future but I also want to give this out to new map makers as well as pro's as a sort of base mountain project!

Link

UPDATED - Afghanistan Map + Source 04/10/2008

Thanks

That is a VBS2 Helicopter, they are the only screenshots i have of the map, please do not ask any questions like "What helicopter is that" or "Where did you get that helicopter from"!!

Disclaimer

I release the map + the source to the public for free use etc, if you want to release as another map, Please change the Name, also contact me before hand

Not bad at all, however I'm wondering how you applied textures. Did you use the standard satellite method and what's the dimension of the texture? I made an Afghan map of the same size about 9 months ago, but the fact that it was a 1.4 GB PBO and not much more than endless mountains made me decide to not release it.

Yes, i used the standard method of importing the sat and mask.

Atm it is only 100mb smile_o.gif

How come it was 1.4GB??

How big are your sat and mask maps? The sat looks a bit wierd, as if it's not there, or just a simple flood of one texture.

I believe they are 2048x2048 the reason being because it seems to keep the size down, plus i couldnt not find the same area again in GE so i had to use the 2048 sat and mask from a previous map wink_o.gif

I believe they are 2048x2048 the reason being because it seems to keep the size down, plus i couldnt not find the same area again in GE so i had to use the 2048 sat and mask from a previous map wink_o.gif

Import the heigtmap in L3DT, generate a massive sat map by any texture you like (desert climate) and alpha map. That is if you want a more detailed sat map easy way.

thank you spirit i will try it now!!

Where can i get it from? i dont have it sad_o.gif

I have it now, it is just giving me errors when i am trying to import my terrain.png

thank you spirit i will try it now!!

Where can i get it from? i dont have it sad_o.gif

I have it now, it is just giving me errors when i am trying to import my terrain.png

lol do the tutorial:)

To liven up the map you could perhaps add a couple of green zones with fields, trees and orchards and a number of walled compounds with single story buildings. It might also be an idea to add some deserted settlements of ruins abandoned in previous fighting. The odd destroyed BMP wreck as a silent witness of the Soviet occupation might also add some atmosphere. If roads were to be added, dirt tracks would be a better choice than paved - or otherwise hardened surface roads. The addition of a forward operating base or some smaller guard posts/checkpoints would also be good. For the forward operating base it would be best to pick a location on the map somewhat away from nearby civilian settlements with cleared fields of fire stretching out to at least a couple of hundred meters. Some of the checkpoints could perhaps be made a bit more ramshackle to represent the illegal toll posts erected by some local militia's.

Regards,

Sander

Thank you Sander,

I Have released an early beta + the map source, see top!!!!

Thanks blackknight63, maybe I can try to work on it when I will have a little more free time, nice. notworthy.gif

No problems, by the way if you download it you will need to unPBO the file to edit it, please unPBO it to P:

wink_o.gif

have fun

Please, please, please, do some narrow cliffside roads on the map (not wide enough or just barely wide enough for an MBT) so we can recreate the sort of ambushes that happened in the Russian-Afghanistan war.

Im pretty sure this has already been done... roughly a year and a half ago. It was one of the first custom islands for ArmA. And if its just going to be endless rolly hilly mountains then someone beat you to it.

Id suggest putting atleast dirt roads and small villages.

Hey black, just tried out the map last night with the new humvees, cam's infantry and hifi with some opfor RPG teams and such...WOW. I really enjoyed messing around and exploring.

I'll agree some villages here and there would be cool, could recreate some special forces operations and what have you. Maybe in time we'll see some Afghani civilian models to use as well.

Keep up the good work! biggrin_o.gif

Thank you for the positive feedback,

As of now, i am unable to modify the island for atleast 2 weeks as in those 2 weeks some very important things happening in my life so i am unable to continue any sort of map work for that period of time, when it is over i will be able to modify the map more, but i am still getting vistior 3 errors sad_o.gif

Thanks

What I think would be really cool is if you made farms here and there, with green vegetation,

Preferably like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC-w2dIxZc

(Hope you can se that link)

Id love to have an Afghanitsan island wich you could throw all army's and military's into, and have them fit.

Dutch, Canadian, Swiss, French, US, Danish, British/UK, and all those other good old boy's!

I've tried it but to no luck when I try and load the island in editor my game crashes = Ctrl, Alt, Del = ArmA not responding. has anyone else had this happen to them or is it just me.

Only thing for me was it took awhile to load--then again so did Sakakah and one or two others. but thankfully, no crash. smile_o.gif

Haven't taken a look yet but with the release of 3DE addon, setting up villages/roads/trees and objects on the terrain should be a very easy. So this blank terrain will be a good starting point.

thumbs-up.gif

This will be great to play around on with the new mapfact 3DE when its released. smile_o.gif

Try opening it from the Visitor 3 File -> Open Method it should work then!