Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

This game  borders on being a farce.Need AI mod.

Well I did it too.... in typical James Bond fashion. rofl.gif

Managed to sneak into the compund without being detected.

Hopped into one of the T72's.

Annihilated the entire camp.Vehicles , men , fuel storage..you name it..if it was within range it got blasted..just like Bond would do tounge2.gif

Ran over to the evac and ended up scored 18,300 with an "Excellent job" recommendation.   notworthy.gif

At least that area is now clear for the rest of the force to move through without encountering any opposition. smile_o.gif

I know it's not how it's supposed to be done walker,but it was a blast (if you'll pardon the pun  rofl.gif )

Oh and PS , tried installing the Durgs Vegetation Fix but wasn't able to. The bath file wouldn't recognize the folders and there seemed to be a file missing. Ah well.

Hi BeerHunter

No I do not say any particular way to do it; see the walkthrough I linked to in my first post where I tell you how to get in then I say

Quote[/b] ]...I leave the rest to you.

The first time I did it, I actualy did it the same as you, by killing everything with the tank.

Others have mentioned other ways to do it. There is more than one way to skin this particular cat.

The thing about that mission is that it is hard but there are lots of ways to do it.

Contrary to many others here I think it is a great mission with lots of replayability.

I think perhaps you too have changed your opinion a little.

Kind Regards walker

I think perhaps you too have changed your opinion a little.

Kind Regards walker

Most definitely.

I learned a LOT about the mechanics of ArmedA as most of the other missions I've played were simply plain assault and fire fights. Such things as AI behavior and their reactions to their environment.

Unfortunately they weren't intelligent enough to run for cover when I opened up with the MG in the T72 and simply kept creeping around the compound making them fish in a barrel but they did manage to muster a few AT rockets.

I think the majority of players that say the AI sucks were probably like I was at first. Simply not understanding their mechanics. They aren't perfect by any means but a lot of fun to play with once you understand them.

I know there is an addon to fix the NG problem

I forgot the name, it works well to me

at least I don't blind anymore

Walker, you should capture your efforts for a video and add it to a host site, would love to see this on a video of some sort.

There's not a lot of videos out showing stealth all the way through a mission, just promo's ... art based videos, but not a lot of step throughs (without music slapped all over it either).

Quote[/b] ]Sound can also attract attention as they can detect that too which might be why you were detected in bushes from the sound of broken branches

there's no sound audible for the player, is there? If the ai actually hears you entering bushes, it would be a very interesting mod to make sounds audible for players too. As a first measure so you can hear if you are noisy, and going much further by allowing you to hear others noises.

s-hole made a nvg fix , practicaly disabling the HDR effect for it, and allowing to set the sensitivity yourself.

Heh, I could never do this myself either, I got frustrated. My method was to steal the Ka50 and kill the entire area with that... that worked great.  smile_o.gif

I tried the Mi17, but it would just get shot down if you weren't quick enough.

Either way, I'm happy to see it could be done the stealth way, and I will be practising that.  smile_o.gif

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]

there's no sound audible for the player, is there? If the ai actually hears you entering bushes, it would be a very interesting mod to make sounds audible for players too. As a first measure so you can hear if you are noisy, and going much further by allowing you to hear others noises.

90% of the time in PvP, I know players are coming from keeping calm and moving slow (no hard breathing) so you can hear their footsteps and most essentially, their breathing. In buildings footsteps give a very high pitched noise and are incredibly easy to "follow through the building" with your minds eye providing you have some kind of stereo headphones or souhd system.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sound can also attract attention as they can detect that too which might be why you were detected in bushes from the sound of broken branches

s-hole made a nvg fix , practicaly disabling the HDR effect for it, and allowing to set the sensitivity yourself.

It depends on where you are there are some places in Arma where you get alot of noise from walking through forests etc. I think it was a bit worse in OFP though. Try the E&E mission the AI detected me because of both sound from moving and breathing rate a couple of times.

lmao if i recall, i loaded up with ammo and killed everyone. the ai has cat's eyes. but yeah i left by stealing the mi17

Stealth works fine for me... watching 2 enemy BMPs and a couple of URALs filled with troops stroll right by. They dont see me or my 2nd guy. During daytime as well. Just about keeping a low profile.

Picture 1

Picture 2

In WWII the Gurkha's used to slit the throat of one enemy in the middle of a bunch of sleeping soldiers. This terrified the enemy. As they began to fear going to sleep and never waking up.

And the SBS mapped every inch of Normandy beaches down to the type of sand, mud or pebbles per metre and every booby trap.

Now those are real covert ops.

I think you're getting a bit carried away now.

Dunno about other armies, but what you are calling "zero

contact" is pretty much standard infantry recce patrol and

covert surveillance stuff.

No.s 1 and 2 COPP [Combined Ops Assault Pilotage Parties],

not SBS, did the vast majority of the beach recce for Op.

OVERLORD. SBS did some limited seabed recce from "chariots"

and some assault dems. The French coast had already been

extensively recce'd by RAF PR, Army Commando and Royal

Navy units in the years previously.

The story about selectively killing men in the middle of a

group is most likely another of the Gurkha myths. According

to legend, Gurkhas also carry kukris that "must draw

blood" once unsheathed and will bisect you with a single

blow, they eat their prisoners, will carve you into quivering

bloody sushi at the tiniest slight, can traverse the thickest

jungle like ghosts and go into action high on drugs listening to

rock music on sony Walkmans. I've heard all of these and

more. From my own experience of them in the Far East (and

hearing of them from ex-colleagues and family members who

had fought with them against the Japanese and Malayan and

Indonesian terrs) Gurkhas (on average) are tough, motivated

infantry soldiers, but they are not remarkably more so than

other British infantry. They do make very nice Nepali curries,

though.  smile_o.gif

Hi Col. Faulkner

I was using SBS as shorthand for COPPs since SBS now do that roll. Most people do not even know what the SBS is; never mind COPPs. Most here will not even know that the SAS is divided in to several several Troops and includes its own Boat Troop.

In WWII there was a proliferation of Special forces; both air land and sea: Buster Crabb's underwater clearance team, the Blondie Halser's Cockleshell heroes, Nigel Clogston Willmott'ss COPPs etc. and it was only over time that they were amalgamated. Most of the COPPs teams deployed from X Craft or Canoes they even used a submarine canoe called the Seeping Beauty the Australian SBS used this in a raid on the Japanese in Singapore harbour, in that case things went disastrously wrong.

As to the Gurkha story of killing one soldier in a sleeping squad. It is an old story. Myth? Maybe.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=2018508.html

It is also one of the stories my great uncles told me; he served alongside them against Japan in WWII.

Kind Regards walker

The story about selectively killing men in the middle of a

group is most likely another of the Gurkha myths. According

to legend, Gurkhas also carry kukris that "must draw

blood" once unsheathed and will bisect you with a single

blow, they eat their prisoners, will carve you into quivering

bloody sushi at the tiniest slight, can traverse the thickest

jungle like ghosts and go into action high on drugs listening to

rock music on sony Walkmans. I've heard all of these and

more. From my own experience of them in the Far East (and

hearing of them from ex-colleagues and family members who

had fought with them against the Japanese and Malayan and

Indonesian terrs) Gurkhas (on average) are tough, motivated

infantry soldiers, but they are not remarkably more so than

other British infantry. They do make very nice Nepali curries,

though.  smile_o.gif

I've met Ghurkas they do carry the knife and they are good at their job and yes they do cut themselves each time they draw the kukri. It was during WW2 that their ability to remove heads was witnessed by other soldiers back then they carried a larger version of the kukri than what I've seen now days and this larger version can remove a head in one cut.

Regarding the title(Ontopic), Tonyranger has some sweet AI things going for hes upcoming FFN mod.

2 NEW VIDEO!

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=832I0HDLwgY

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=3x1pDer_-oM

these video Shows how AI automaticly take cover in defense.this abitily actived when AI or player squad hold when no waypoint exsit or at the last waypoint.they can use any object in map as cover,such as rocks trees woods etc.

the ak74 is not a bad assault rifle, try making missions where you are the opfor, and see how many kills you actually can get with it, its just as good as the m16.

And thats the silliest part of ArmA, in RL an AK-47 or 74 aint as accurate as a M16, their very reliable, but don't expect to hit much. They were made as a mass fire weapon for a conscript army, have alot of them firing at once and you'll hit something

Yep that vegetation fix is about as good as your going to get it, but it's still better then it use to be in arma 1.0 so its improving smile_o.gif