Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

This game  borders on being a farce.Need AI mod.

I've been trying the night mission where you are supposed to infiltrate a camp and destroy some armor with satchel charges.

I thought Armed Assault was supposed to be a simulator. It isn't and neither is it a simple FPS fun game.

I have tried all kinds of various approaches from the sneak in under cover of darkness (but the AI spot you from about 300 yds away IN THE DARK BEHIND A BUSH) and rushing in guns blazing (which of course eliminates you in a hurry as the AI head shoot you at 300 yds away in the dark).

All in all not overly impressed.

Has anyone come up with a mod yet that makes the AI behave in at least some semblence of normality??

Well you think in real life you would be able to sneak in a camp unseen and blow up the armor with satchels and live after 1 night of practise? There is ur sim smile_o.gif

Anyway, yep it has it flaws and problems. No game will ever be like real life. Arma just goes as close as they achieved. Its a good game.

he need durgs vegetation fix. and don't play with AI skill > 0.8

after? no one knows

for 1.14 yes

STOP!

Dont play Arma's SP missions, they really suck.

Try and find some better user made stuff instead xmas_o.gif .

Depending on the direction of the wind and your surrounding area, you can here a crawling person over a bigger distance than he can imagine. wink_o.gif

With Durg`s it should be fine, that put an end to the see trough bushes.

be in mind that this game is not like moh, or cod4 where you are one man or a few killing hundreds.

the ak74 is not a bad assault rifle, try making missions where you are the opfor, and see how many kills you actually can get with it, its just as good as the m16.

you can try putting the ai on safe or careless, then when they see you have them go to aware, sometimes that works. then just be very careful.

I've found that a mix of Durgs Vegetation Fix + True (Mods & Gameplay) makes the game much more enjoyable as both the visibility in dense foliage is considerably decreased and the shooting dispersion of the AI is altered (no more insta head shots at 300m)

Hi BeerHunter

You are not doing it right.

Go here:

!!! Warning Spoilers !!!

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....=walker

AI work normally but at night in a lit base where most of your vision is rods in the eye not cones. The main thing humans pick up as with AI is movement. Move slowly preferably at the crawl unless in full cover, bushes are concealment not cover. They break your outline but do not conceal movement very well.

Also sound becomes more important at night rustling around in a bush gives you away. Do not go right up to bushes allow 0.5 metres between you and any bush used as concealment between you and a unit which has LOS on your position. Bushes obscure sound but do not block it well, real cover is things like solid fences and walls. The sound you produce increases logarithmicly with speed of movement, so move slowly.

For the record I can still move right up to the feet of guards in ArmA at night though it is harder than in OFP.

But the main thing, with that mission as with any other, is having an effective plan.

[edit]Just repeated the mission still able to do it same as always. Took me about 10 minutes in total; in and out of the base in less than 3 minutes [/edit]

Kind Regards walker

STOP!

Actually they are all possible to beat as I've beaten every single one of the stock SP missions without any mods. The secret to infiltrating the camp is to go around the back and sneak under the broken fence. The night vision capabilitys of the AI varys as some AI units carry NVGs while others do not. In some cases I've crawled past guards a couple of feet (with NVGs) away without being seen and also been spotted from a long distance by units without NVGs. Sound can also attract attention as they can detect that too which might be why you were detected in bushes from the sound of broken branches.

STOP!

Actually they are all possible to beat as I've beaten every single one of the stock SP missions without any mods.

The art in this discipline is beating those missions with all the good mods running. F*** stock AI.

i did this mission by stealing the Mi-17 at the second base. provided you get to it undetected by crawling up to it, no-one will shoot at you - even if they walk right by the nose of the helicopter as you sit in it - until you start using the rockets to attack, and by that stage they can't touch you.

Hi all

There are several different ways of doing this mission. The 10 minute quote is for the by the book method. The only thing I have never yet done is: getting into the base without killing at least one guard. It may be possible.

To get in, plant the charges, on say a 6 minute timer (really tough because it takes time to set the timer ) and get out and reach your egress with zero contact would be the greatest achievement in this mission.

Then you could call yourself a serious covert operator.

Zero contact other than with the target is the ultimate accolade for covert special forces. This was/is the realm of the SBS and the Gurkha's.

Kind Regards walker

walkers still got all his hair..I pulled all mine out.. crazy_o.gif

Thanks for the feed back. Maybe I need those mods and should be trying some custom as well.

I was intrigued with Night Strike as it sounded like a real covert op rather than the CoD4 type of run n gun but was getting frustrated with the what seemed like total lack of realistic behavior of the AI so wasn't too sure which approach one should take.

Eliminate all the AI guards then destroy the armor?

Just get in and destroy the armor?

Stealth of full frontal assault? (obviously not  whistle.gif )

Will gather the mods together and give it another run.

Hi BeerHunter

Try the method I linked to in the spoiler walkthrough; to get in to the base with only one contact and with vanilla ArmA before you try the mods; what you do after that in the base is up to you.

Doing it that way will give you a lot of satisfaction and allow you to learn proper covert ops; which was after all your intention.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

I can now claim to be a serious ArmA covert operator. Because of the challenge I have now achieved Zero Contact other than with the target in the BIS original mission Night Strike.

In and out with zero AI contact!

AI never even new I was there.

Any OPFOR would be unable to assess if it was a special forces raid or a traitor. Leaving the OPFOR unable to understand how you did it is what it is all about.

In WWII the Gurkha's used to slit the throat of one enemy in the middle of a bunch of sleeping soldiers. This terrified the enemy. As they began to fear going to sleep and never waking up.

And the SBS mapped every inch of Normandy beaches down to the type of sand, mud or pebbles per metre and every booby trap.

Now those are real covert ops.

Kind Regards walker

Im not known to be very patient so I finished the mission by grabbing one of the tanks and cause mayhem rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]STOP!

Try and find some better user made stuff instead

Being new to the game, I thought that was the way to go too.

I started the first mission and was so unimpressed with it that I almost uninstalled ArmA...for good.

Now, after playing a lot of user-made MP co-op missions, I'm leading a support group at the local chapter of Armaholic's Anonymous.  tounge2.gif

After 1.14 I don't like the night missions anymore. Not sure how BIS chooses their military hardware advisors, but whoever advised them on current night vision gear needs to be fired. I have been selling night vision to the military for the last 5 years and can tell you that the modern night vision equipment doesn't work the way they have it in Arma now. For some reason BIS had downgraded the night vision to the effect that no longer is a problem (for the last 20 years or so) . Right now in Arma if you look at the sky outline, your NVG's go dark. WTF is that!? NVG's have automatic control that will send less electrical current if the googles are overwhelmed by the BRIGHT light, like car headlights f.e. It will only respond to such bright light after being exposed to the bright light for over 4-5 seconds. Even then, it is not going to shut down in most cases, but only adjust the current flow so that the bright light would not damage the image intensifier. Only in old Rambo movies people get blinded by bright light while wearing NVG's. The night vision can easily take the sky outline, even the morning sky outline. Think of the very bright muzzle flushes of the weapon that uses the night vision scope. Why do you think the night vision scopes don't go dark when the flash happens? Short, but VERY bright exposions like that are not a problem for the NVG's, so how in the hell some little bit of night skyline or morning skyline can overwhelm the NVG??? I wish to hear from the "expert" who advised the BIS in this matter.

Hi all

BIS chose an NV system from a period, there are MODs that include later versions of NV.

On the matter of NV and bright lights; in MP PVP I actualy use the NV flare to to good effect by turning head lights on and turning to face the enemy and ejecting when ambushed front arc.

This blinds the enemy to my direction on leaving the vehicle they often fire crazily at the lights like rabits caught in them, this alows me to flank and kill them.

Also if using flares in PvP I warn my side 5 seconds before firing so they look down before I put up the flare also it gives them a chance to freeze before the flare goes up. Movement is the thing that gives your position away at night as I noted earlier.

Kind Regards walker

Walker next task is you have to do such stealth operations under time pressure and with additional (random) submissions wink_o.gif

Bospor make a vid that show the pro & cons of modern NVGs and than find a solution to implement all these features into ArmA2. Keep in mind most modern hitech stuff isnt on-hand for normal grunts.

Hi NoRailgunner

I can already do it in 10 minutes.

Was thinking about getting the BMP too in the zero contact mode, as I have three charges. Means a timed crossing of the lit north south road in the camp west of the grunts baracks, that is where the AI spawn from if you set off the alarm.

I have already done variations that include stealing the tank and killing all OPFOR guards covertly.

Kind Regards walker