Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st Normandy mod -WW2

Iron cross is perfectly fine. Personally, i didn´t even notice the missing swastikas in IL:2 until i stumbled over a fix for it on kegetys page.

So from a german "not feeling guilty for what happened 70 years ago" point of view: i could´nt care less.

Apart from the fact that displaying/distibuting swastikas or SS insignia is prohibited by german law (unless done for educational reasons) - having two versions would also bring some difficultys in MP due to the different bisign´s, possibly dividing german players from anyone else.

It´s great to see that you guys care so much.

Totally looking forward to your mod! smile_o.gif

I have to say I find myself wondering why so many people get so steamed up about missing swastikas? This discussion has been done to death so many times in different game forums it has become tedious.

It's either:

a) ridiculous attention to historical fidelity, in a game that is never going to have anywhere near 100% realism;

b) some sort of anti-censorship principled stand;

c) an unhealthy interest in the symbol itself and what it stands for*

* UPDATE before Enigma jumps on me wink_o.gif Yes I know it's an old symbol. I wandered around a temple in Malaysia last year that was liberally festooned with the things. If you decide to include that sort of temple in Normandy in 1944 perhaps we can have a separate discussion on realistic portrayal of such temples wink_o.gif

If the 'symbol' texture is a separate file (.paa on its own for example), would that solve this issue?

If the particular symbol would be used as rudder markings on all of the German planes, then it would be less work if one wanted to change it to something more historically accurate if he/she wants to, yet wouldn't change it for anyone else such as the case in MP. I can't find exactly the right words, but would that work?

Update:

-Going to release the beta portion of the first phase of this mod very soon. It will come with a ww2warfare mission. Again I want to emphasize that this work is no where near completion. There are many things to do on the first phase even after it's beta release.

There will be changes to the equipment after its release. Some things that will be added later will be:

-cockpits for aircraft -currently in work

-improved vehicle dynamics based on player input.

-adjustment to damage models based on player input.

-improvement in sound

-texture improvements

-Other improvements based on beta testing and given to us in the form of input through this forum.

Going back to the ww2warfare mission. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif IF you like big theaters, tank battles, or bombing campaigns. This game will be right up your alley. This type of game will create a campaign feeling that might last SEVERAL days. Just a warning and heads up. Also it will take a very creative person to improvise and win. whistle.gif This mission will NOT be for the rambo types that like to blast into action.

*After the beta release it will be up to the community to come out with some cleverly designed missions and versions of the ww2warfare. The missions we provide following the release will be fact based missions pertaining to real life historical WW2 missions. Packages of equipment are currently being put together with the help of a few historians.

Keep in mind the relative size of the map will allow for future use of naval equipment such as the Kreigsmarine, Royal, Royal Canadian and US Navy. There will be naval ships and submarines.

What vehicles and weapons are already included? Is it possible for the community to carry on the work and add detail etc.?

So far I have only made a couple of WW2 early war anti-tank guns. Pak36 and Soviet 45mm AT gun.

What vehicles and weapons are already included? Is it possible for the community to carry on the work and add detail etc.?

So far I have only made a couple of WW2 early war anti-tank guns. Pak36 and Soviet 45mm AT gun.

We accept donations!  tounge2.gif

The two that you mentioned are needed.  I would always PM me to see if it's work that has already begun on something you want to make.

Nice work whomever did them.  In another video it says they are OFP conversions.  Now I already have a ton of backlog work from the main people that did all the ww2 OFP stuff.  It seems as though some people have already done conversions without permission or just for personal use.  I don't know.

*TODAY: Talking further with Johns_art who is the author of the 88 from the Ardennes pack, he says that no one asked permission to convert his content accept for me.  So whomever ported his 88 should probably apolgize to John.

John's 88 in work on my desktop:

johns_88.jpg

All I know is I may or may not have that stuff already.  If I don't I will probably be asking the author permission.

UPDATE:

Once the following items are complete, the beta portion of Phase One will be released:

-Flak36 (88)

-Jeep

-M26 Pershing

-M101 howitzer

-Waco glider

-dodge pickup

Soon as those are complete along with the warfare mission, its game on.

Hopefully completed in my half term break. (This week and next week) tounge2.gif

Just putting finnishing touches on Panzer 38(t). Not exactly a Normandy 44 era vehicle (except as chassis of self-propeled AT-guns). smile_o.gif

Just putting finnishing touches on Panzer 38(t). Not exactly a Normandy 44 era vehicle (except as chassis of self-propeled AT-guns).  smile_o.gif

38(t) would be great to have. Your own original work? You can PM me.

A waco glider cool. Do u have plan to script somethin to tow it for example?

Yes. I'm not sure if I already stated or not.  The gliders will be able to carry troops, light vehicles and cannons.  They will be able to be towed.  Halifax & a couple others.

UPDATE:

-FlaK36 88 is ready to go. Just want to say thanks to Johns_art for providing this beatiful piece. Awesome artwork John!

-Ammo reprogrammed for Arma compatibility

-Added additional hit point damage to muitions as it was too low and needed to be in sync with similar caliber weapons.

-Sound reconfigured, fires much louder. You know an 88 is around (very haunting).

-Added 8.8cm gunners optics which it didn't have before.

-*** Unit is NO longer static, added the ability for it to be moved.

-Added driver to crew so gun could be moved

-Removed M113 gunner from OFP, added Arma gunner class.

-Removed unecessary OFP programming and optimized for Arma.

johns_881.jpg

Working a lil' bit on Burner's dodge this morning:

burners_dodge.jpg

Wow,

The Dodge WC-51? I like that, thats just what i wanted in ArmA..I hope you put a lot of time in that one especially! inlove.gif

Oddball

Stop being such teases! Release!

By the way, is it USMC as British and Americans but the Germans on OPFR (Or whatever it is wink_o.gif

Stop being such teases! Release!

By the way, is it USMC as British and Americans but the Germans on OPFR (Or whatever it is wink_o.gif

Just keep a carful eye on the thread.  Once certain conditions of the shortlist are met, its a go.  On a side note to that to be fair to the germans in terms of the shortlist for the ww2warfare mission, I will be adding:

-Gotha Go 242B-1 glider

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but the Halifax also has to be added to tow the allied gliders.

Germans troop types included in the mod up to this point:

-SS

-Fallschirmjager

-Splinter

-Feldgrau\ Wehrmacht

Allied troop types included in the mod up to this point:

-US generic

-US 101st

-US 2nd

-UK

-Polish

Nuetral types included in the mod up to this point:

-Russian

Troops included into the ww2warfare mission for the normandy map:

-SS & Fallschirmjager  VS.  US 101,2nd, US generic & UK.

There are many more troop types on the drawing board.  We want to offer a variety to the community so they can create ellaborate missions.

If you are going to make replacement for the Arma Special forces, you could add US Rangers, UK commandos and German Brandenburgers for example

It crossed my mind that above all this would need more European type buildings. Many of the South Sahrani buildings are bit too ... exotic.  confused_o.gif

If you are going to make replacement for the Arma Special forces, you could add US Rangers, UK commandos and German Brandenburgers for example

It crossed my mind that above all this would need more European type buildings. Many of the South Sahrani buildings are bit too ... exotic.  confused_o.gif

While Southern Sahrani has a middle east flavor to it.  The Northern island on the Sahrani map has a Euro tone to it.  I didn't place any of the objects you would find in Southern Sahrani on the Normandy map.

There are lots of people contributing to this mod.  You can see a few pages back some windmills and such.  

In regard to special forces.  Other troop types are either in work or on the chalkboard.

Halifax in work:

halifax1.jpg

Jeep in work:

jeep.jpg

As you can see things are progressing rather quickly. Thanks for the help on the Hali & Jeep Atomic!

Yeah, North has more Euro feeling, but I have felt the buildings there are in a bit bad shape or run down - not so many useful in bigger cities. And some of the buildings are too modern, like the big 4 floor flat building where you can get in. You could use many of the industrial buildings from the south, some sheds and piers.

I was thinking that some sort of "block" buildings (3-5 floors) would be useful (dunno if that is the correct word).  You know those in bigger towns/cities which edge all the main roads on both sides. They are placed next to each often leaving no space between. Sometimes having a gateway through the house into a inner yard surrounded by other buildings. Cities like Paris and even Caen have centers mostly of those. In the '40s there must have been many buildings from the 19th century too, because there still are those today.

My point was just that when making bigger built up areas the number of useful buildings might get bit low.

Did u make a two side warefare mission that u spoke about in n other thread?

c47 were used too to tow the waco glider.

Did u make a two side warefare mission that u spoke about in n other thread?

c47 were used too to tow the waco glider.

-Yes two sided ww2warfare it is. It's a unique beast. This mission will hilight strategy. Think - "IMPROVISATION"

-Yes C47 did tow WACO's. Halifax was known to tow HORSA's. Ju52's and He-111's towed the Gotha's.

Aqu - As far as the overall feeling of the map being WW2'ish. I think I've stated that I'm far from happy with it. I'm doubling the amount of towns in it and adding a lot of custom work to it as part of phase 2. Some of the towns I've arranged in it are very cool though. I'm sure I will hear all about the map and many other things in the coming weeks.

Just wondering did you already add officers and tank crews?

Those are missing from the original Vila's pack.

And the bigger ones Bazooka, PIAT and Panzerfaust. Might just make those infantry AT weapons if they are still missing.

Just wondering did you already add officers and tank crews?

Those are missing from the original Vila's pack.

And the bigger ones Bazooka, PIAT and Panzerfaust.  Might just make those infantry AT weapons if they are still missing.

Bazooka is already part of the mod. PIAT is in work. Panzerfaust is already in the mod.

Vilas infantry have been heavily modified. The original will not work with this mod.

There are some officers. The tank crews have not been added.

Wermacht encompasses heer. ( grey suit guys ) biggrin_o.gif