Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st Normandy mod -WW2

This is true,

As Rip said the bocage area of France is just that,An area.

France Swings between bocage and tight lanes and short visibility to vast open fields with large roads and a long line of sight.

To have France completely covered one end to the other with huge hedge rows would not only be a CPU killer,But also would be incorrect.

I didn't mean there were hedges all around France. Actually the hedgerow area is quite Normandy specific (to that scale)  and further down south to...say around Falaise the area was already more suitable for tanks. But your map covers enough terrain that if you put them even to appropriate areas, that is a big job anyway.

About the weapons configs...

Yes, I know there is a deflection in the weapons config. That's why I said, that to get that value from the gun peneration tables, you could use that kind of a formula...just an example. For the hitpoint value another formula etc. Without using such a method you would need to think them closely every time and compare to the previously added weapons. ...that is if you want to make the conversions to config in consistent way.

E.g. If I'm going to make a 20mm round, you would get deflection=50/sqrt(20)=11. Actually the deflection depends on the mass and other things too.

As i said before,I think it would be better to leave all questions and discussion about: penetration,dispersion,deflection,range,speed,rotation and everything else technical til the beta is out?

that way you can make suggestions on what could be changed for the better in the beta so that rip can act on that rather then going back and changing stuff that's ready for the beta when your not aware of the values that are implemented at the minute.

as always comments on progress are always welcome.

but the technical stuff would be better to leave til everyone has played the beta and can form there opinions on it.

Enigma

Enigma gave me some textures for the Tiger 1. Check them out:

tiger1r1.jpg

tiger1r.jpg

Couple more things to do then it's release time...

I want one of those smile_o.gif

Apologies if this has already been asked and/or answered...

Will there be missions with the beta, or is it just up to us to create our own simple missions so we can have a look at, admire, play with, and evaluate various bits of kit?

I'm thinking even just a basic Warfare port would be a good way to set up a server with lots of things happening, and all the units available to try out on demand.

I would imagine that the beta would be released with a few missions that have been used for testing.

IE,The town to town airborne CTF missions and the beach landing mission.

I think as this is a quite a community based mod that people are free to make there own missions/campaigns.

you never know.

post a link to them here and they might be included in the final release for everyone to play:)

Rip31st, I might be wrong, but I think you might have misunderstood the BIS stance on ofp to ArmA conversion, I dont see how they could have a legal argument to object to 3rd party addons being converted from one game to another providing the permission has been granted from the original author.

i think rip31st is right when it comes to OFP content.

OFP content itself cannot be converted to arma.

For exsample BIS made weapons,Tanks and aircraft.

but as archsceptic said it's fine to do so with 3rd party addons.

they can be converted over to arma with authors permission.

this could be handy for saving time on a number of projects.

I know southy/eble converted over a number of ww2 planes.

and release without permission not knowing permission had to be sought so had to pull them from the servers.

i was quick though and managed to get them before they were pulled to test:P

they really don't look bad in arma.

and in a saving us hours of work standpoint

and also a the authors addon will continue to be used for XYZ amount of years.

i think it's a good idea

I'd be wary of making the bocage too realistic. I

wouldn't be at all astonished to find that barriers like that

confuse the AI too much.

The gliders sound great. Have you actually got those working

(even as prototypes) in the game yet? "Link arms, open your

mouth and feet up..." that'll be great!  yay.gif

Isn't there often a problem with performance when porting

OFP models to ArmA?

there should be some kind of thingy which will help mission making newbies to make parachute drops from bombers quickly and and easily for numerous bombers. and of course, an easy and fast way to put gunners in bunkers and behind sandbags, and also the possibily to place MG's ON stuff, like balconies, windows, bunkers, on ground, on cars, on everything which is on the heigh of the players chest, just like in Day Of Defeat

there should be some kind of thingy which will help mission making newbies to make parachute drops from bombers quickly and and easily for numerous bombers. and of course, an easy and fast way to put gunners in bunkers and behind sandbags, and also the possibily to place MG's ON stuff, like balconies, windows, bunkers, on ground, on cars, on everything which is on the heigh of the players chest, just like in Day Of Defeat

Seeing Paratroopers jumping out of bombers would be interesting.

usually they drop bombs :P biggrin_o.gifrofl.gif

I know that rip has has AI jumping out of Transport Aircraft in the past.

but i'll leave it up him to answer if there is a script or if it's just a waypoint command.

as for the MG in bunkers and in windows that would be down to checking through the editor til it's right.changing the height of the unit til it sits in a natural position.

as for the MG setting up on stuff with the bipod i'm not sure.

short of adding some kind of proxy to ever object and window i'm really not sure it can be done.

The only thing i can think of is maybe an menu action could be made that sets the player in a static machine gun(same sort obviously) would be the only way to do it on the engine.

I'm sure some one with scripting knowledge will come up with an answer twice as effective and half as hard biggrin_o.gif

Anyways i'm off to the Pub nener.gif

I totally agree with tomahawk. Some simple missions witch could be copied and pasted to your own mission. This will save a lot of time and frustration for rookie mission builders.

I had a capture the flag normandy beach style mission, airborne mission, and lots of model testing missions. I don't think I will be attempting to release those as several model "classes" haven change. They would produce lots of bugs and errors. I will probably redo some of them that were more popular during testing.

One thing that has been asked of me the most is if I will create a Warfare style mission. The answer is...Yes I will try to get that done. I have some hurdles to overcome such as, well for one warfare is 3 sided. How do I compensate for the lack of a third party(RACS)? Where do I put starting positions? (the map is huge). What $ value to I place on equipment? Transportation is essential in this game so you have to have aircraft from the start. What is the overall objective? (take out a base? or capture a percentage of towns on the enemies turf?) THAT said it's warfare, not a realistic WW2 scenario.

Another question people ask me is "are you going to make a mission just like WWIIOnline?" My answer to that is WWIIOnline is bascially a capture the flag game. Capture the flag games came long before the creation of WWIIOnline. So I suppose the answer is I will create similar gameplay. I can't obviously copy it down to the "T" for copyright reasons. But if you want some CTI campaign style mission like that, then I can do that. Many more towns will be added to the current map before I do that because of the distances you have to travel between towns. Nobody wants to drive to another town for 30 minutes when you could be fighting.

-Will I have these done before Oct. 15th? The warfare style mission...probably. The other missions - probably not.

One thing to keep in mind for those mission makers out there waiting to get their hands on the equipment. More equipment will be added later.

short of adding some kind of proxy to ever object and window i'm really not sure it can be done.

The only thing i can think of is maybe an menu action could be made that sets the player in a static machine gun(same sort obviously) would be the only way to do it on the engine.

The problem with making those static guns is that they

have absolutely no recoil or vibration when fired. They are

like laser-pointers. It'd be OK for the AI to use but rubbish

as a player experience. My favourite MG is the old Vickers

but as far as I'm concerned it just isn't worthwhile modelling

one for ArmA with the way static guns [don't] work.

The problem with making those static guns is that they

have absolutely no recoil or vibration when fired. They are

like laser-pointers. It'd be OK for the AI to use but rubbish

as a player experience. My favourite MG is the old Vickers

but as far as I'm concerned it just isn't worthwhile modelling

one for ArmA with the way static guns [don't] work.

yeah the only thing i don't like about static weapons.

you may aswell be summoning death itself to kill the enemy.

it is pretty much like bullets are locked onto the enemy.

maybe things could be changed to allow some bullet dispersion to allow static weapons to be less like a death trap on a tripod.

Speaking of static weapons like cannons. Did I fail to mention that the AT guns I'm building for this mod are all mobile. You can push or tow them.

I don't know if people understood me or something, but i meant that: for example, if a player has made a mission where enemy infantry convoy is coming into a town, he's gotta shoot from the window with an MG. but in normal arma it's kinda hard cause the MG has so much kick when standing so it should be made possible for the player to place his gun ON the windowsill, so the gun kick will decrease.

I don't know if people understood me or something, but i meant that: for example, if a player has made a mission where enemy infantry convoy is coming into a town, he's gotta shoot from the window with an MG. but in normal arma it's kinda hard cause the MG has so much kick when standing so it should be made possible for the player to place his gun ON the windowsill, so the gun kick will decrease.

Yes, it sounds simple but actually implementing it in ArmA

wouldn't be. At all. Static guns were suggested as a way

to represent this act of resting a gun on an object, but the

static guns in ArmA have a special suckiness all of their own)

Quote[/b] ]The problem with making those static guns is that they

have absolutely no recoil or vibration when fired.

All that can be done with Arma's animation system, so it favours short bursts instead of sustained fire.

@Rip31st

Your PM store is full sent you an email instead.

All that can be done with Arma's animation system, so it favours short bursts instead of sustained fire.

Please explain. What have short bursts got to do with it?

Quote[/b] ]Please explain. What have short bursts got to do with it?

I'm no expert, but I thought people were trained to fire MG's in short bursts for a number of reasons? One being, the incremental offsetting from the target, caused by recoil is kept to a minimum?

I'm sure there are other considerations like temperature e.t.c But I'm just offering a possible solution to the problem being discussed. Not trying to show off my knowledge of WW2 weapons.

The MG's that are in question i think we used more for suppression of the enemy and area denial by cutting of a road or area with a field of fire that would almost ensure death to the enemy if it was crossed.

i don't think short bursts were used as standard,

reasons for control bursts on High rate of fire weapons could be to decrease the chance of over heating the barrel which might lead to blockages,Or possibly to conserve ammo.

other machine guns had quick switch barrels so that a large amount of fire could be put down with short stops for barrel changes.

if a machine gunner had a target i would imagine he would try to saturate the area with as much fire as he could.

the mg42 was so good and did not overheat so quickly like the allied one.

its very hard to place MG's in buildings using the mission editor.

If a script could make it possible to make the MG ( that you carry as a standard weapon and after a action menu click) suddenly become a static MG wid a bipod or tripod.

The thing wid MG is it's inacurate firing when crouching or standing in arma, and the AI reacts to it as if its a normal rifle. The AI let off a small burst like a rifle. instead of suppressing the enemy and so on.

lets hope Arma 2 covers this feature.

I'm no expert, but I thought people were trained to fire MG's in short bursts ...

Yes, I know all that. I just couldn't see what the lack of a

recoil on ArmA static guns had to do with rates of fire.

Do you mean that you can animate a gun to recoil on a

static mount using the animation system in ArmA? That'd

be a good solution.