Sign in to follow this  
bigstone

Royal Marine Commandos

early years British troops, maybe you have time to do 1985 troops of UK huh.gif

would be fine to have also less modern units smile_o.gif

all addonmakers make modern troops, so when you said about "early" i am asking, maybe even earlier ? smile_o.gif

Well until very recently the equipment the army used was next to no difference than the gear the were using in 85. since thats when the Mk6 and PLCE started to come into use. Since the fighting in the middle east started alot of the equipment has changed. so the 'early afghan' soldiers he did you could use for late 80s & 90s. Though the desert DPMs might be a problem :P

early years British troops, maybe you have time to do 1985 troops of UK huh.gif

would be fine to have also less modern units smile_o.gif

all addonmakers make modern troops, so when you said about "early" i am asking, maybe even earlier ? smile_o.gif

Well until very recently the equipment the army used was next to no difference than the gear the were using in 85. since thats when the Mk6 and PLCE started to come into use. Since the fighting in the middle east started alot of the equipment has changed. so the 'early afghan' soldiers he did you could use for late 80s & 90s. Though the desert DPMs might be a problem :P

But the DPM pouches do date them to post-1992. If the

pouches were retextured olive green colour (and the

2-colour dessies recoloured) then you could, at a stretch,

use them for a 1985 scenario, and pretend they have

got the latest gucci kit of the day (trialling the new kit

and the new rifle).

There were experimental versions of what would become

PLCE kicking around since the late 1970s. PLCE was being

extensively field trialled by 1984 (in fact, I first saw it myself

during "Lionheart 84"). There was an '85 patt PLCE set but

it wasn't widely issued (I'd guess that they mostly went to

the bods that got the trials models of the SA80).  The '90

patt set (in olive green) was formally accepted for service

and went on general issue in 1988 (you can see it being worn

in photos taken of Op. GRANBY in 1991, for example), and

the DPM version came out in 1992.

Afaik DMP and OD PLCE were trailed at the same time?  huh.gif

As far as I've seen, the first trials models of PLCE in the

mid-1980s were all green (some of it in a very "browny"

shade of green too). I've never heard of an official DPM

set in the mid-1980s. I'd not be surprised to hear that

some trials DPM sets were around by the early 90s, though.

Some private purchase stuff started to be made in DPM

at around this time too.

Anyway, I think this is now straying too far away from the

point of the thread, which is to present these "op. HERRICK"

bootys.

Quote[/b] ]early years of Operation Herrick

This is not an addon representing todays Royal Marines, Osprey is not on show and the frequency of woodland camouflage in the package are indicants to this, whether the quote I displayed existed or not.

Either way it is a nice addon, great work.

Alright fellas let me clear things up. The Royal Marine unit addons are supposed to depict the old style and new style of Royal Marines Commando. The desert/temperate mix is supposed to depict the Royal Marines Commando in CBA armor. They wore this mix in the mountain missions in Afghanistan during the OEF/Operation Herrick ops in 2001-2002 time frame. Now the RMC troops you see in all desert dpm wear with Osprey armor are supposed to depict the modern day Royal Marines Commando serving today in desert environments such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes they do wear the Osprey armor also the British Army does as well. Please read this as far as Osprey Armor is concerned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey_body_armour

Afghanistan modern 2007 Helmand Province ops:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ep5fxL2EpdD4/610x.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerse....320.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multime....31a.jpg

Afghanistan early part of the war 2001/2002:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1935000/images/_1937020_mountains300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1940000/images/_1941370_marinepa300.jpg

I hope this solves the dispute. But I know you guys are enjoying these troops. All we need is a cool Afghanistan map for Arma.

biggrin_o.gif

PS:Just do your Royal Marines Commando research on Google search, either search Google Web or Google images. Thats how we did it. Who knows we may make British Army Paras too. biggrin_o.gif

Oh yeah I don't know if I brought this to your attention, but STALKERGB has redone the British Army 4 Rifles Infantry they look much better you can find them here in post#33:

http://forum.armedassault.info/index.p....ry50324

I hope we didn't spoil you fellas. biggrin_o.gif

british infantry and RMC are the best british units ever made for arma notworthy.gif

planing on making british paratroopers? or special forces?

These Brits are sensational Stalker - thanks very much! biggrin_o.gif

Just two minor things - the bush hat guys have helmet straps still attached and I was wondering if you'd consider adding some foliage/grass to the woodland guys helmets?

brits.jpg

I think the British and NZ Armies are the biggest for putting trees in their helmets - not sure about the tactical value - but it looks tough!

Just an idea I had - thanks wink_o.gif

Stew

These Brits are sensational Stalker - thanks very much! biggrin_o.gif

Just two minor things - the bush hat guys have helmet straps still attached and I was wondering if you'd consider adding some foliage/grass to the woodland guys helmets?

I think the British and NZ Armies are the biggest for putting trees in their helmets - not sure about the tactical value - but it looks tough!  

Just an idea I had - thanks wink_o.gif

Stew

I concur. I'm having a blast with the Brits.

Having some foliage would be a nice touch.

Tactical value, really? I think it's more for fashion. Hell I just thought it's cause Brits love funny hats.

chas_&_camilla.jpg

wink_o.gif

Tactical value? It breaks up the give-away shape of your

lid (and the shadow underneath). It enables you to "see

without being seen and to kill without being killed"  (I

bet they don't say it like that these days any  more! )

I'm pulling my hair out trying to do this on my own British

addons. It's quite hard to do well in a model, or so I've

found.

Oops, I probably should have provided a real answer along with my comedy.

It's pretty much the same concept as the Mitznefet that the Nahal scouts and others wear and Miles has in the IDF Mod. Except a more "natural" look so to speak.

Col. Faulkner said it best. There's really no better way to put it.

hello everyone... i haven't had any time recently but have added a few thing to the regular infantry (glasses, radio wires, PLCE etc) might certainly give the foliage thing a go. Most likely will release a 3 para mod (mainly desert dpm might do temperate too) but am upgrading the 4 rifles at the same time.

Hope that god awful OTV on the soldier model is gone too. wink_o.gif

But I await to see the results with interest. smile_o.gif

The backpacks might be updated i have just been mucking around with the BIS one and seeing what i can/can't do.

@Para-Trooper, sorry do you mean this by OTV

main-1.jpg

Can i ask if anyone else doesnt like this cause at times i have had my doubts... if it seems most people dont like it i can go back to the old version.

What I mean is, is still very much looks like the American Interceptor. While you can see you have edited it heavily you still get the OTV's basic outline.

oh ok cool, well i think it is something i am going to be working on, might take some time cause i am not a very good modeller/texturer but i do want to aim for something a bit better myself. We will see. smile_o.gif

I have finally got round to doing a bit of work on my units, i have completely seperated the body armour from the unit models and been fiddling around with the backpacks on some units. Still looking to try the scrimmage (is that right? vegetation on helmet like one of the pics in this thread).

NewBrit.jpg

NewBrit2.jpg

Hope people like smile_o.gif

Helmets look wicked! Just a few points, seeing as British units love your addons and getting them right means we don't have to dish the new releases out too often.

Do regular British units use knee pads that often?

I thought I saw someone mention somewhere that a camo value(?) had been altered, making the AI sometimes not engage at the right ranges.

I know DPM, like a few other camos, can be really difficult to replicate in game. You're doing a great job so far, especially on the desert gear. Would you consider making the woodland DPM a little darker, greener and less of a "limey" tint to it? Perhaps a bit muckier/used/earthy. It's really difficult to describe.

Anyway, looking forward to these, especially the 4 Rifles. Your other releases have been put to a hell of a lot of use so far. thumbsup.gif

Very nice, not normally a fan of brit kit in any form but this looks particularly good, will probably keep a closer eye on this in future. smile_o.gif

Personally I see the colouring as being fine as is, however as I think Daniel was trying to put across could look a little more lived in/used/not brand new.

Looks like the state my DPM stuff and the stuff the gents and lasses from the Uni OTC's DPM kit when they ain't of on a camp, i.e parade ground clean.

adding a bit of scuffing on the kneepads, slight fading of the material at points of heavy flexing a bit of dirt around the leg areas is all i could suggest to give them that j' ne sais quoi that combat clothing has smile_o.gif

again nice work so far thumbs-up.gif

@ [CAS] Daniel, the camo value has been changed back (or at least it seems to work fine for me,). I know what you mean about the DPM, i have been trying to make it a bit darker and so far haven't done very well but will keep trying smile_o.gif will definately make it look a bit more worn.

As for the kneepads i think i had a small kneepad fetish when i first made the troops smile_o.gif most likely will only have a couple units wearing them.

@ ruff, so far no plans to make SAS/SBS but was thinking of making some "Elite" type Royal Marines or something. we will see....