Sign in to follow this  
Jex =TE=

I landed on a fence and broke my chopper

It was one of thos fences with the low brickwork. Anyway I touched down at a safe rate as I couldn't see the fence below me and I kind of bounced a bit and that was it - the engine wound down and the blackhawk was dead.

I know it's been said before but it needs to be said again - make the choppers a little tougher. If it can't be done in A1 then please make sure it gets addressed in A2 (and smooth transitions between stances too please i.e standing to crouching and back again whilst walking - i don't need to stop smile_o.gif)

When landing on a fence, keep your knees and feet together. Then you won't hurt your chopper.

*sad violin music*

The super weak choppers are a serious annoyance, to be sure.

The latest truegameplaymods release (in addons & mods complete) has one component that increases helicopter durability (mostly of the engine, not the overall health). This greatly helps when making rough landings, and means that your helicopter can be damaged *before* the engine cuts out.

In the other components in that release, AI are very aggressive about attacking choppers, so if you have a full squad of riflemen & machinegunners & rpg soldiers firing wildly at your chopper, you'll still go down fairly quickly (though you might survive the landing now!wink_o.gif

Also make sure all seat backs and tray tables are in the upright position.

Increases Blackhawk survivability by a factor of 10.

OR

You could choose to land on the ground and avoid any obstructions....

Your choice of course. wink_o.gif

Hi all

Landing on a fence can result in damage to your helicopter in reality. Up to and including real death.

Do not land on fences.

Military helicopters employ the load-master to look out of all windows and below the helicopter to ensure there are no obstructions. They do this for a reason.

A fence post up through the bottom of a helicopter can cut vital electrical or hydraulic cables or puncture a fluid tank or cause the helicopter to dip and have ground contact with a rotor.

In reality a helicopter is a fairly delicate instrument. Yes they can fly looking like Swiss cheese but one wrong part hit and they fall out of the sky.

A black-hawk is not a tank.

ArmA helicopters may be a little soft but this is not a major problem and easily solved with a MOD.

Kind Regards walker

When landing on a fence, keep your knees and feet together. Then you won't hurt your chopper.

I will have to say lol rofl.gif

But its true look for a clearing, end of problem.

Hey thats nothing i flew into a power line wire during a evo game online and killed myself and 4 others accidentally.. tounge2.gif

didn't think the power lines was a object you could hit biggrin_o.gif

It was one of thos fences with the low brickwork. Anyway I touched down at a safe rate as I couldn't see the fence below me and I kind of bounced a bit and that was it - the engine wound down and the blackhawk was dead.

I know it's been said before but it needs to be said again - make the choppers a little tougher. If it can't be done in A1 then please make sure it gets addressed in A2 (and smooth transitions between stances too please i.e standing to crouching and back again whilst walking - i don't need to stop smile_o.gif)

You've got to be kidding me right...

If I land on a landmine the helicopter gets blown up, could we

please have 40mm underside armour and preferably springs underneath so we bounce off the mine without detonating it...

Im sorry...

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

edit

4 hours later Im still LMFAO.... rofl.gif

bounce off the mine without detonating it...

Bounce off a mine?

And Jex, wait for ArmA2. Helicopters are not exactly ArmA's strong point, especially with regards to weapons stations and survivability.

Bounce off a mine?

And Jex, wait for ArmA2. Helicopters are not exactly ArmA's strong point, especially with regards to weapons stations and survivability.

It was a bouncing betty he had in mind I think.

Bounce off a mine?

No, he was calling for springs so that he doesn't detonate mines when he lands on them. Basically he's saying that the request is ridiculous because you as a helicopter pilot shouldn't be landing on fences to begin with. Landing on a fence logically ends with the helicopter being damaged or destroyed, as does landing on a land mine.

Bounce off a mine?

No, he was calling for springs so that he doesn't detonate mines when he lands on them.  Basically he's saying that the request is ridiculous because you as a helicopter pilot shouldn't be landing on fences to begin with.  Landing on a fence logically ends with the helicopter being damaged or destroyed, as does landing on a land mine.

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps if the topic title had read "I landed at a speed that I consider safe for a real life chopper and yet my chopper broke" I might have felt a little more sympathy.

But "I landed on a fence..."?!

While it does help to use sence, I have found it is lacking in the gaming community.

Armed Assaults damage system is not exactly great, I can think of few other games in which it is possible to destroy a tank with bullets of any calibre. ArmA2 should be fixing the lolatme problems like landing perfectly only to find you have no tail-rotor.

Jex is obviously going to need help with his piloting skills but still, downing a helicopter should not be part and parcel with each landing.

May I suggest that instead of asking for the helicopters to be tweaked, you try to be a bit more patient on landing approach.

Rarely will helicopters land straight in. Pilots are taught to fly a loop of the landing area, guaging the wind and visualising the approach.

Exceptions are in combat landings like in vietnam ..... but they lost 5000 helicopters in vietnam ....

Not a good example to follow really.

Quote[/b] ]downing a helicopter should not be part and parcel with each landing.

It really isn't. wink_o.gif As Jinef said, a little patience helps. I'm just glad there's at least one trade in this game that demands a certain amount of skill and practice. The other of course being the converted UKF Javelins...

The point of the post is to highlight how feeble the choppers are in Arma, not landing tips.

For AI better and different flight skills.

For human player better instruction missions to teach the pros & cons of vehicles.

Helicopters with working MFD's (instead of those bars on top) would be very nice at least to report better damage stats.

Hi, land on a fence could damage your chopper so you as pilot should

try to avoid it; but have you ever heard that a chopper that "crashed"

againist a bush exploded due to this!?. The ArmA's choppers are

very very weak, and they can't be targeted by the AI units, which

is ridiculous by itself; you could damage eneough a MI24 with a simple

infantry squad firing to create a lead courtain in front the helo path

and damage it enough to make it flee and with luck... even shot it

down. Let's C ya