Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

House elevation

Im recently new on this O2 subject and im creating houses, all seems to run ok but i faced an annoying issue when i created a new model.

In O2 the model is above the ground level (I assumed the ground level is the like in middle (0,0), so i think), but when i sent and test it in game it is in fact bellow the ground level, 'eating' my floor. Why this happens?

How do i set the elevation in O2 so that the coord (0,0) is the ground level?

0 in the y axis is ground yes, but since the terrain cells in ArmA are rather coarse you do need some clearance between ground level and your floor, even a little terrain skew can cause it to come through the floor. This is a bit of an extreme example, but if your house is set on sloped terrain the extra spacing between the ground and floor will prevent the terrain from coming through.

house.jpg

One way to to prevent it from happening could be to use the "Terrain Vertices" tool by drawing a box around the house/object in question, select Median Height->OK and the terrain should flatten around that house/object.

house-1.jpg

Of course this isn't always a desirable solution as there may be other objects and/or terrain features nearby which will be affected.

hum.. confused_o.gif i think i need other method, its gotta exist other method.

I can confirm and say that the house is set on a flat terrain and not in a slope terrain. I previously flat the terrain to 6.5m to test the models.

Is there any other solution ideas? I have to ask this because in visitor3 i had the terrain flat with 6.5 m above sea level in all height values just to prevent the precise issue. But even though i still keep having the house way down the level ground.

In your case we can notice the house get higher in the ground, but in my case the house is way down the level y=0 and in O2 the most bottom face of the house is set to y=1.300.

Thats why i don't understand why this happens.

Amiriya_modelbug06_s.jpgAmiriya_modelbug07_s.jpgAmiriya_modelbug08_s.jpg

1024x768 1024x768 1024x768

Note: In visitor if i click my model the elevation relative surface is set to 0.

any ideas suggestions to fix this issue?

Remove the LandContact LOD and see what happens.

nothing happened.

Im going to try to move the house in visitor from that place to a near one to see if it "unlocks" the bug.

Once i moved the house in visitor it showed above the ground level. Lets see how it goes after binarization...

edit: After moving the house in Visitor3 from the previous place and keeping the same height level the house now appeared above the ground. Note that i removed the 'LandContact LOD'.

Ill try again but with the 'LandContact LOD' now...

edit2: Ok, problem solved. I now know why i got that issue.

if you edit (change the y value of the model in O2) and save the model you are working on, witch is already placed in Visitor3, make sure you go to Visitor3 and move the model abit before you save the .pew, this will 'unblock' the mentioned issue.

There is a config parameter called "autocenter".

If it's false, then the center will be [0,0,0]. If it's true, then the center of the model won't be [0,0,0], but rather it will be calculated from the faces / points in all the LODs. So if you add another story to a building like this, it will sink down half of the height you added.

There is also an autocenter property in the model itself, I'm not sure about the relation between the two though...