Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Components 01 to 99

Does anyone know if the name 'ComponentXX' have to be used as priority?

Does it need to have an order, ie, 01 to 99?

Can i have 2 components being Component01 and Component67 per example?

If i use different name do identify some parts will they work properly or not?

Why the importance of the name 'Component'?

Maybe i am missing some information , but who says that the variables pointing to the components haves to be named "Component"?

They just happen to be named that way and numbered incrementally by the "find component" function of oxygen.

But i might be wrong.

What happens if you make a simple cube and in geo lod you re-name the component "XYZ". If the functionality of the geo LOD isn't any different, then it probably doesn't matter how they are named.

i also have the same doubt.. in wiki its informed its between 01-99

why not 00 and 1000000?

i just thought the program could just notice the lods when Component01 to 99 were named.

i just would like a confirmation and more info about it. Maybe someone can clarify this doubt.

ComponetXX are expected named selections for the Geometry, Fire Geometry and View Geometry lods.

Without these named selections (and a few other things) those LoDs will NOT function. For example, a section of geometry without the named selection "ComponentXX" will not be considered in collision calculations.

The Component selections are NOT required in any other LoD.

The limits are also much larger, with no theoretical limit on the number of components you can have (tho having 1000's of components WILL cause bad performance.)

Thats what i thought and felt in some tests.

Glad its cleared now smile_o.gif

Edit: What about the order? does it have to be ordered? Can i skip numbers?

You have to have a sequence (i.e. 01 -> 20, without skipping any numbers)

But it doesnt matter what order you apply them to your geometry. Component01 is not more important than Component09 etc.

You also should not have 1 section of geometry (a cube for example) with 2 component named selections.

If I modify anything within one of those lods, just before I want to test in game, I delete ALL the 'ComponentXX' names and use the menu "STRUCTURE -> Topology -> Find Components" to regenerate all the names again, in sequence.

Safer that way I find.

Yup. From the small experience i had with O2 i just thought and noticed if you didn't follow the mentioned 'rules', things wouldn't work properly. I just wasn't sure and got doubt.

Thanks for the info DM and [APS]Gnat i think thats the safer way of doing it to not miss anything to work.

I normally delete the components in the LOD and do what you said,

"STRUCTURE -> Topology -> Find Components" that is.

I also noticed but not sure: In Geometry LOD you need to have each component to each convex and closed faces. Ie, if you have 20 convexed faces all closed, for just Component01, things might not work. Correct me if im wrong.

Gnat @ Aug. 06 2008,11:59)]If I modify anything within one of those lods, just before I want to test in game, I delete ALL the 'ComponentXX' names and use the menu "STRUCTURE -> Topology -> Find Components" to regenerate all the names again, in sequence.

Safer that way I find.

yes, I do exactly the same. Even if its uneeded, its very quick to do, and at the same time you've ruled out any possibility that that could be causing problems.

Quote[/b] ]I also noticed but not sure: In Geometry LOD you need to have each component to each convex and closed faces. Ie, if you have 20 convexed faces all closed, for just Component01, things might not work. Correct me if im wrong.

I don't quite understand what you mean there?

Quote[/b] ]I also noticed but not sure: In Geometry LOD you need to have each component to each convex and closed faces. Ie, if you have 20 convexed faces all closed, for just Component01, things might not work. Correct me if im wrong.

This situation is for those who create the Components 'manually'.

Image you have 2 cubes, convex and closed, therefor in Geometry LOD you have 'Component01, Component02' but if you edit the Components by making these 2 cubes in Component01 only, you might have issues.

Thats what i had in mind with that post.

Gnat @ Aug. 06 2008,11:59)]If I modify anything within one of those lods, just before I want to test in game, I delete ALL the 'ComponentXX' names and use the menu "STRUCTURE -> Topology -> Find Components" to regenerate all the names again, in sequence.

Safer that way I find.

yes, I do exactly the same. Even if its uneeded, its very quick to do, and at the same time you've ruled out any possibility that that could be causing problems.

You actually dont need to delete them first, O2 IS smart enough to do that as part of the process of 'structure' -> 'topology' -> 'find components'

Quote[/b] ]

Have to agree with Messiah, uhh WHAT?

Your geometry can be as complex as you like, as long as there are no open faces or non-convexities. You could have one named selection, "Component01" for aguments sake, with 100 faces in its selection. As long as the topology is closed and there are no convexities it will work fine.

What if i have more then 99 Components to set?

Quote[/b] ]What if i have more then 99 Components to set?

Not sure if i misunderstand, but it all goes automaticly.

O2 is a bit sucky on the aranging of the named selections, meaning it checks the first number...component0x,component1x,component1xx,component2x,component2xx, etc..

As long you use the 'structure' -> 'topology' -> 'find components'.

As for your 2 boxes, convex and closed,....

I think it is best to avoid this geo forms. In the end, what the find components options finds should be kept as it is afaik.

Glad you understood what i meant.

I also agree that 2 closed boxes should not included as just 1 component.

I ask the 'more then 99 components' because im using 93 already and im afraid i might need more. I think i will in future models.

So to surround the problem i would have to compact components but looks like its not possible because they wouldn't work properly.

Is there any reasonable solution for this 99 limitation if there is one..?!

I think you don't understand it bravo. You can have more then 99 components. If not mistaken OFP already was able to have 128 components. I forgot what the count was in ArmA, but if not mistaken it was 256 or even more (maybe i confuse it with VBS2).

Like said (and maybe bad explained), just make the amount of geo forms it needs and runs the 'structure' -> 'topology' -> 'find components'.

Your components will be reconnaised, but like said 02 uses a strange 'alphabetic (read number) arranging in the named selection list. So nothing to care about.

But again, try to keep the components count as low as possible as it influences the performence.

*Quick O2 components test:

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/components.png

360 boxes -> 360 reconnaised components (not tested ingame though).

DaSquade i do understand what you mean, but i also read the wiki and the doubt is in there because they say Components are between 1 and 99.

wiki source

Thats why i thought more then 99 could or might not work in game.

About the auto organization ( 'structure' -> 'topology' -> 'find components' ) i understand and i do use it to make things better organized.

I exposed the situation because if engine doesn't read more then the official 99 components (wiki) we have to surround the subject somehow. See what i mean?

Anyway, i'll test those 256 componentes in my next house model.

geometry lod of the tv station queens gambit model has component1 to component327 + several named selections. forget the 99.

Ah now i see where you get your confusion smile_o.gif . Don't always believe what you read, especially on the internet tounge2.gif .

But again, keep it as minimal as possible.

ok guys, thanks for the heads up.

I think the topic was clarified, very useful information. smile_o.gif