Sign in to follow this  
ingram

Flight Sims X/2004/lockon etc..

Here is a topic for all virtual pilots.

Discussions about the "Flight Simulator" games, aircraft.

I am curious how many pilots are visiting this forum smile_o.gif

It would be nice to discuss about our adventures with SIM's.

My adventure with FS beggined not very long ago. On the beggining of vacations I have bought FS2002 from classic edition when I was with my friend in SuperMarket. It was great so my decision about purchasing the Flight Simulator X was very short.

I can say that it is a peace of a great SIM, right now I am waiting for a package with FSX: Acceleration.

Also the variety of addons is very nice and some of them are really well done. Too bad that we have to pay for some of them but I thing that beautiful Airbus A340 is worth its price.

Here are some photos with my machines.

Would be nice to see also your photos.

clsdf_s.jpgsunsetfd_s.jpg

a340fd_s.jpga340adg_s.jpg

I play LOMAC, Falcon 4.0 and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. I have tried to play FSX with Acc. pack and bunch of other addons, but didn't like it. But now I only play IL-2, great fun, awesome and huge campaign (SP and Online), nice addons , great community. My favourite planes are Bf-109s (plus custom cockpits).

0uvkxsu_thumb.jpg w2x3hka_thumb.jpg rmyqor9_thumb.jpg dimkdvt_thumb.jpg

Btw, Ingram your pictures are way over 100kb whistle.gif

I was thinking of getting FSX ,how good is it exactly, strong points weak points etc? What is the modding community like?

I already have IL2 but I want a flight sim that focuses on a more modern era. Anybody got any other recommendations? I'm looking for something that's not too realistic (in that you don't have to read a gigantic manual before you can even play the game).

Very nice shots Ingram!

I use the FS 2004, what works very good on my "old" rig.

There are free mods out there for it, and many with a price tag on it. confused_o.gif

You can fly planes in FS2004 relatively easy or totally realistic, that depends on the realism settings.

There is a "flight school" included where you can learn everything, from takeoffs to landings, instrument flights, navigation.........

Some basic knowledge why planes do fly can help to.

It`s fun to fly around in it. wink_o.gif

The best of FS2004 is that the variety of addons is very big.

About the FSX it is the matter of time when it will get some really great addons. For now I can direct you the planes made by CLS and the PMDG simulations howerer FSX gas got pretty high system requirements and perhaps B747-400 from PMDG which is really well done can cause lags. I haven't tried FSX on Vista yet but soon I will get is as a second system to play games with DX10 and I think that it will work better than on XP because the game will use more than 2GB RAM (I have 4GB) and the second root will be also used.

My friend who runs FSX on Vista says that we can set the game on DX10 but soon we will turn this option off.

Why?

The DX10 effects works only on FSX defaults models. Some addons could get a totally white textures because of DX10 confused_o.gif

Here are some other nice photos.

I really enjoy the F/A-18E/F addon.

fsx-wall-4fd_s.jpgfsx-wall-10dh_s.jpgfsx-wall-29bd_s.jpg

I play il2:1946, but not so much lately. I usually play on dogfight servers without the cockpit. Some people argue that that's realistic, and well the view is much more open than you would really experience, your head isn't nailed to the headrest irl either. You can look past the nose of your aircraft irl, and unfortunately, il2 doesn't offer 6dof.

At any rate, I have found the fockewulf series to be my favourite aircraft. With these aircraft, I achieved a 13 to 1 kill to death ratio on the 334th eagles squadron server over the course of one month. I used to play with the mk 108 weapon package in my early days and had some great fun with it, but I have since found that mg151/20s do the job just fine, and that the aircraft becomes so much more the pleasure to fly with the outer cannons removed.

I know that there are freeware and "paypal" addons from WWII for FSX. I have seen already Spitfire's and Fockewulf's but I think that they are just for flight.

I was also playing IÅ-2 series a long time ago and I know your fellings smile_o.gif

I am also a big fan of Lock On Modern Air Combat.

Thanks to the e-shop for virtual pilots I could get even Flaming Cliffs.

I am flying the most F-15C (great Walmis model), SU-25T and SU-33

Here are some of my shots.

ScreenShot_103dc_s.jpgScreenShot_102fg_s.jpg

ScreenShot_092de_s.jpgScreenShot_005ah_s.jpg

. You can look past the nose of your aircraft irl, and unfortunately, il2 doesn't offer 6dof.

Actually, their is a mod out now that allows 6DOF with either the mouse or TrackIR.

So you can have that now.

I play such flight sims as IL2, LOMAC, Apache vs Havok and Falcon 4.

But can i ask in all seriousness. What is the appeal in flying a Air liner accross from A - B, there are no bogeys to splash, no carriers to defend.

So why do those kind of flight sims appeal to you?

Thanks

The fun hides in the option to discover, to feel free and to have that large open sandbox infront of you. While I much prefer ArmA for that some people prefer flight sims because they prefer aircraft and their immense detail. I just don't like the flight times.

MSFS is good, but I'm a combat sim junkie.

Oh how I miss microprose: It's taking far too long for the industry to get anywhere near where they'd left off. (Falcon 4, European Air War, and Gunship!wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What is the appeal in flying a Air liner accross from A - B

It´s fun to switch on the "fasten seatbelts" signs and do a barrel roll while flying over the statue of liberty. smile_o.gif

Tbh I haven´t played flightsims for a while now. I´ve got Lock On, Sturmovik, Falcon, Apache vs Havoc and some other older FS products but I somehow lost interest a bit.

Currently I´m mostly playing race-sims, my favourites still being GT Legends and GTR 2 and I´m currently trying to build myself a proper Force-Feedback Set from Ebay components and real car-parts with a loadcell for the brakes, hanging pedals and a solid wheel from a racekart. At the end of the day I want to build myself a real cockpit with integrated servos for rolling and tilting the the cage but that´s a long way to go.

I played Flight Simulator X and 2004 few times, but i find those games boring...  icon_rolleyes.gif

What i play the most is IL-2 1946, and LOMAC. Nothing beats the fast paced dogfight, LOMAC and IL-2 can bring.. Dogfights in IL-2 and LOMAC are pure fun, and thrilling.  smile_o.gif

Don't get me wrong, FSX is a good sim, but it can get too boring, flying from point A to point B. I'd rather Fly heinkel in IL-2 from point A to B, and get shotdown :P

FSX is just great. The best gaming investment I made since years and one of the reasons I will follow my brother's footsteps soon and hopefully start real flying myself (if I can afford it).

FSX has made big steps ahead as far as performance is concerned.

- Modding scene is active, dont fall for the sites where you have to pay for content, the same is available for free.

E.g. http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php

(if you click on one of the addon pages you can easily cruise through them by changing the pagenumber in the address-bar. I havent found another way yet.)

- Topography in FSX isnt so great and ruins a lot.

FS Global 2008 is therefore a must (in my eyes)

- use "Nhancer" to get FSX to look properly. Just google for the right settings and you will have a far more smooth looking terrain with no flickering textures etc. Makes a big difference

- Learning just by playing isnt realy doing the job. Microsoft hasnt done such a great job with good tutorials.

So I suggest buying a book that helps a little. I know two good ones:

a) Rod Machado's "Private Pilot Handbook

b) (german) Die Große Pilotenschule

both books are highly informative and entertaining at the same time. While a) is a preparational book for real flying b) is just preparing you for the FSX. I can absolutely sugggest both and both of them provide more than you need.

- Modding scene is active, dont fall for the sites where you have to pay for content, the same is available for free.

E.g. http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php

Oh yeah smile_o.gif

This is the one of my favourite sites where I can get addons.

I can direct You to also this sites:

Simnetwork

FS freeware

My opinion for other posts.

Its the same like me, before I have bought FS2002 and FSX I was thinking about Airliner sim's like a most boring thing in the world, no dogfight, no carrier landing etc. but I was wrong. I love traveling and since my biggest dream is to move to Japan it is a great fun to take a flight from Warsaw or Moscow to Tokyo or Osaka.

MSFS is good, but I'm a combat sim junkie.

Oh how I miss microprose: It's taking far too long for the industry to get anywhere near where they'd left off. (Falcon 4, European Air War, and Gunship!wink_o.gif

I'm also missing Microprose... they made so many cool games back in the days... Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, F117 Nighthawk, Master Of Orion, a.s.o.

Quote[/b] ]But can i ask in all seriousness. What is the appeal in flying a Air liner accross from A - B, there are no bogeys to splash, no carriers to defend.

Well, it depends on what you do: I wanted to fly a Cessna from Stuttgart to Munich. So I took an old school atlas and a ruler and measured the distance and angle between both cities.

I estimated at which time I should see what cities/towns at which side of my plane, so I could be sure that I'm flying the right direction.

Then I indeed arrived at Munich with a difference of 5 minutes to my ETA, the only navigational aid being a compass and an old school atlas. No HUD, no NavPoints, no ILS, no VORs a.s.o.

Nice shot smile_o.gif

I have got fps settings on unlimited but I tried also with 30 but when I'm used to "unlimited", it was hard to find any differences  wink_o.gif

By the Way, what planes are you enjoying the most?

I just love Airbus series A330, 310, 320 and 340. However I have got the A380 one but for me it is too big and I don't like it as much as A340

click

Nice shot smile_o.gif

I have got fps settings on unlimited but I tried also with 30 but when I'm used to "unlimited", it was hard to find any differences  wink_o.gif

By the Way, what planes are you enjoying the most?

I just love Airbus series A330, 310, 320 and 340. However I have got the A380 one but for me it is too big and I don't like it as much as A340

click

I love the Cessna Gran caravan, old school without Garmin. I got this Safari-fetish. Everything that has to do with Safari turns me on and since this is the major plane in Africa I realy love to fly it (online of course).

Unfornutely the plane my mom once owned when she was young cant be found for FSX (only for 2004), it was called a Globe Swift (capable to perform medium air acrobatics) and when I researched a little I found out her plane is still alive and got her in contact with the new owner. The last time she sat in it was 48 years ago.

same model different paint.

Swift.jpg

Very nice plane smile_o.gif

I envy you, a mother pilot. My mom works in pharmacy.

Indeed I like Cessna Gran Caravan very much but If we are talking about smaller planes I really love this one:

CLick

I play such flight sims as IL2, LOMAC, Apache vs Havok and Falcon 4.

But can i ask in all seriousness. What is the appeal in flying a Air liner accross from A - B, there are no bogeys to splash, no carriers to defend.

So why do those kind of flight sims appeal to you?

Thanks

I know what you mean but the "being there" feeling in FSX is realy breathtaking (if you have a fast PC), so actually it does not require additional adrenaline components to be exciting. And multiplayer certainly is a blast.

^^ whoaw, now i want that game!

Does it require any MS Service Packs ?

That vid was friggin' awesome!

I must get FSX!

Any other recommended addons apart from FS Global?

I've played FS since the FS '95 version, Currently got FSX and almost every payware add-on possible. But mainly I just fly around in an F-15 in Bosnia doing strafing runs on villages and towns. wink_o.gif

FSX is amazing with DirectX 10.