Sign in to follow this  
Marccom

Project T-800

Hi,

i just wanna inform you that i started my first project.

Inspired by XPETIT Terminator he made 3 years ago for OFP and over the sadness that nobody else is doing such a project yet for ARMA I decide to live out my crazyness and to (try) to learn moddelling ARMA addons.

Searching the www to find infos and ideas about modelling a T800 i found the websides of two amazing guys:

Tobor (aka James Murphy) and Marek.

In special the last one has made a model that is amazing. he worked over a year on it.

Both guys has disclaimers about free using of the models if uncommercial manner and i send emails. With marek i have very interesting and friendly email-conversation know, but Tobor didnt answer yet.

Both models were already used to make an ingame addon (in this case for unreal turnament)

after first tryings about using Tobors bodyparts with mareks models head and some heavy problems with oxygen i decide to make tests with both models and to build two t800 at least.

may sound crazy and about unnecessary work but i'll do.

In last few days i made 9 testmodels and it is further going on. know i have to state that james model is easier to handle at moment. But both models has high quality and it is not easy to face them down for using in Oxygen 2.

the necessary changes are so heavy that theyre almost not recognisable...but its working.

At the moment i have problems with textures, but i am on way to make it good. because of my missing experience about making addons i have to read and try many stuff now.

Enough of storytelling...some pics now:

....sorry...have to go to work...will come tomorrow confused_o.gif  sad_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Ok,

sorry for waiting...now pics are coming.

I dont know why somebody wrote "unreal turnament" in the title. This addon will be for ArmA. Only the base models somebody already used for Unreal.

T800+03.JPG

T800 Evo 3 - model parts mixed from both bases. only some probs with faces and structure...maybe fixible

T800+05.JPG

T800 Evo 5 - Murphys Model but changed heavily in details (head, arms, chest); problems with structure

T800+07.JPG

T800 Evo 7 - nearly same model as Evo 5...some changes in detail and reduced smoothing

T800+08.JPG

T800 Evo 8 - chest made smaller and some changes at head; less optimize and multiRes effects, but so too much faces for Bulldozer

T800+09.JPG

T800 Evo 9 - less faces,so working. Bulldozer showing textures black...but im working on

Parallel i'm making some tests with Evo 3. (still interestent, cause has least faces and vertices and is not really looking bad i think)

Please give me some comments which model you like most or which changes has to made (f.e. the sharp edges at the headmask [Evo 9], i realized already by myself).

Maybe someone can give me some hints why bulldozer is showing model in black. Mat and tex are loaded and updated...bulldozer shows no error messages.

Thanks a lot

Marc

That’s awesome man, I tried to create a T4 mod for BF2142; gave up on that.

Looking forward to using this in game, if you happen to get it in game I would be glad to help on post apocalyptic materials, I have plenty of em.

Hey thats nice.

I'll come back to you for that ;-)

as soon as i get run a model in bulldozer i'll give info.

Greets

Marc

imho it will be difficult not skin such a model (with all this metal details) without huge bugs. i'd recommend resking some standart civil model, but add some t-800 details (like hakf burned skull, hand etc. ). thus you'll get it in quick and easy

Do This and I will love you. If someone then does the aircraft they have, I will be overjoyed.

Changing the proportions shouldnt be too hard to make them fit armas animations. I guess the hard work is to get low enough poly count.

By proportions I mean it doesn't appear to be anatomically correct, especially in the skull.

Looks disproportionate and high poly- unsuitable for arma.

I know this runs a fine line coming from me, but jesus christ, can you lay off the obnoxious "holier than thou" attitude for ONE post?

Just because you went to college doesnt mean you're the be-all and end-all of 3d modelling crazy_o.gif

Give us some more tech infos, please smile_o.gif

What is the polycount amount of the model?

How many Lods will you build? And do you think to keep just one section for the whole model?

And regarding texture, what size do you think you will use?

Keep up the good work,

cheers, GH wink_o.gif

Hi,

ok guys...nobody said it would be easy ;-)

About the tech info:

the model with less details is Evo 3...it has 24000 points and 27000 faces. the others has more and so too much...im working on Evo 10. here I will reduce so much details as possible and then use MultiRes and Optimize to face down. But much work, because i have to edit every single mesh of every single part. I needed hole last night to edit the skull.

About LODs i'm not sure yet, but I think i will bild more than six or I will use the same scheme like at Soldier units.

When i import the models in Oxygen it calculate the number of sections automatically. Up to know some Evos had one section some hat more. I am not sure yet i will test what is the best version btw...what will work.

Testure is a problem now. Because Bulldozer shows everytime the textures back. I didnt find the failure yet. Last test were with 1024x1024 paas.

Thanks for all coments so far. Just we say in German: "ich bleib dran" :-)

Greets

Marc

Check your RVMAT settings and texturepaths of the RVMAT, also be sure the path in o2.. Material and color texture directory are right. I had the problem before but can't remember exacly how I got it fixed. If the above solution doesnt work I'll ask around. smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Looks disproportionate and high poly- unsuitable for arma.

I know this runs a fine line coming from me, but jesus christ, can you lay off the obnoxious "holier than thou" attitude for ONE post?

Just because you went to college doesnt mean you're the be-all and end-all of 3d modelling crazy_o.gif

You've just had me rolling around under my desk with that! I'm actually in pain from laughing so hard! Never a truer word though. rofl.gif

On topic though, If you can get it working ingame i'm curious as to how you will stop the mesh form distorting? I mean witthe normal "skin" covered units you get some stretching and tearing. With the Terminator's mechanical structure that would look really bad!

Hi all,

dont think its over...im still working on Evo 10 biggrin_o.gif

I am just wondering why here is a second page but nothing readable is opening up icon_rolleyes.gif

i made some mistake at buliding a new lower detailed skull and had to make it new nut now i had nearly finished and go on with the other parts. Hope the work won't be useless and Evo 10 will work fine. We'll see.

Greets

Marc

Hello all,

ok...Evo 10 is done.

It is really much reduced and it was lot of work and needed many experiments.

Now it has 9286 Points and 14662 Faces. But the real best is:

Its working in bulldozer with all textures.

Take a look now:

T800+10+Bulldozer+2.JPG

Please make comments...they are very welcome and if you have some hints how i can get some chrome effekt (not too much, only some reflections) on the model. That would be nice.

Greets

Marc

Hmm, he's a bit similiar to C3PO with its thin model... maybe just a bit too thin? Do you have a bigger pic?

Hi,

youre right...quite thin that model. I didnt realize before that the scale difference between Oxygen and Bulldozer is so heavy.

I made some changes. now its looking stronger in bulldozer (in Oxygen its looking like a Hunter Killer Tank  wow_o.gif )

T800+10+Bulldozer+3.JPG

Greets

Marc

Hello all,

ok...Evo 10 is done.

It is really much reduced and it was lot of work and needed many experiments.

Now it has 9286 Points and 14662 Faces. But the real best is:

Its working in bulldozer with all textures.

Take a look now:

http://hometown.aol.de/Msmarccom/T800+10+Bulldozer+2.JPG[/img

Please make comments...they are very welcome and if you have some hints how i can get some chrome effekt (not too much, only some reflections) on the model. That would be nice.

Greets

Marc

Have a search on the forums for RVMAT, that is used to make models shine in combination with textures.

Thanks for tips but the addblend-effekt has not the result i was hoping for.

Nevertheless i changed some textures:

T800+10+Bulldozer+4.JPG

Now i will go to bed, but i am planning to create some textures to get back the details on the body.

After that i will search for possibilities to get metal effekt on the textures.

Greets

Marc

Guest RKSL-Rock
Thanks for tips but the addblend-effekt has not the result i was hoping for.

Nevertheless i changed some textures:

[mg]http://hometown.aol.de/Msmarccom/T800+10+Bulldozer+4.JPG[/img]

Now i will go to bed, but i am planning to create some textures to get back the details on the body.

After that i will search for possibilities to get metal effekt on the textures.

Greets

Marc

Try the chrome_enviro.rvmat.  You can find it in:

P:\CA\data\chrome_enviro.rvmat