Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani Iraq

Bit annoying that I can't add ladders to BIS buildings, but hopefully I'll be able to produce enough custom content to filter out most BIS content.

what you mean?

You have ladders working in your terrain, right?

I don't understand why you said that. Can you elaborate?

edit: you can't add ladders in visitor??

No......

I can't add ladders to BIS buildings because if I edit them it would require me to use the MLOD samples, which in turn requires me to release all source material.

Really it's all written on the previous page...

but you can circumvent that problem if you place those edited buildings in a seperate pbo, and release that pbo, and that pbo only as open source. That still protects your island, and your own personal buildings/objects.

The open source EULA, as it was explained, only affects the PBO that contains the items. Because something can only be open source, or not open source, that means anything else in that pbo would be fair game for people to do as they please with. Thus you can place everything that has to be open source in a seperate pbo - even if your island in a seperate pbo uses those buildings, the open source EULA will only count towards that pbo, so your own work is fully protected.

but of course it depends how much extra work this is. I have no insight into visitor and how much extra work you would cause by having to re-path all the buildings to the new pbo.

And appologies for forgetting, but my compliments on a outstanding piece of work. smile_o.gif

To be honest i don't like to have a seperated pbo for the models like Opteryx have in Avgani.

I prefer to have them in my map folder. But if was necessary i could try to release then in a separated file. I like to have them freely in a folder inside my map folder.

Anyway, the idea was not to change the BIS buildings but to use their textures on new made models.

Maybe use the original ladders, but its easy to change it in o2 anyway.

Another thing that i noticed in some tests from my models but can also reflex to you aswell.

If you do not create a support/base for your houses the sand sound will remain while you walk around the house. Even if you step the building floor. Note that this base must be above ground level to change sound.

If you create this platform/base for the buildings, when you step it the sound will change directly and will remain the correct sound floor while walking around the house. I noticed this sound issue some weeks ago, but i didn't know why, now i suspect.

Maybe now you can fix the floor sound issue that takes certain realism.

To be honest i don't like to have a seperated pbo for the models like Opteryx have in Avgani.

I prefer to have them in my map folder. But if was necessary i could try to release then in a separated file. I like to have them freely in a folder inside my map folder.

Me neither, but it saves space and makes things easier when using same models on multiple terrains, also one of the reasons I don't want to "circumvent" the EULA by making yet another pbo. Things just get messy with so many PBOs.

Anyway, the idea was not to change the BIS buildings but to use their textures on new made models.

I've already done that on several models, but I don't see how that relates to what we've been discussing.

One update that I'd really like to see is the incorporation of some kind of airfield or at least a small US military compound somewhere on the map.  There is a small compound on the north side of the city, but its difficult to get the AI to drive back into the city as most areas are walled off.   I also tried making defensive missions and found that the police station was the only place remotely suitable.  The other checkpoint/gate areas have watch-towers and things, but they have sections completely open to attack with no walls or anything to protect them.  I tried putting some Iraqi police units there at the check points and had insurgents attack them from multiple directions.  They usually got into their sectors within short order and killed all the police.

sad_o.gif

At any rate a small base somewhere for US troops would give a good starting point for missions.  Preferably a base far away from the city so that you can launch helicopter missions from there as well.

I agree with others about maybe lowering the police HQ walls on the rooftop just a little bit.  As they are now however, the AI can still shoot quite a bit from them so its not a huge deal to me. I put insurgent RPG gunners on the mosque roof and they started firing RPG's at my boys on the roof.  That was wicked seeing RPG's slam into the rooftop wall. My guys returned fire and eliminated them but only after getting some men blasted.

I did some scripting to get the insurgents to also lay IED's next to the walls to blow a hole...once they come through all hell breaks loose inside that police HQ compound.  I haven't yet expeirmented yet to see if I can get the AI to enter the police building itself however.  That would be nice if there are pathways to get them to enter and go up into the building all the way to the roof.   That would make for some seriously scary missions if you're stuck up on the roof and have a dozen insurgents coming up inside the building to get you. Vice-versa the mission could be for US troops to retake the compound after it's been overrun by insurgents.  Having to clear the building floor by floor would definitely be challenging.  So definitely lots of mission making possibilities especially once a US base of some sort is added as a location to start missions from.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hi, *Pauliness. That same shadow dissapearing thing happens to

me too, but also on BIS islands, it's a thing of the graphic settings,

it happens to me with the ShadowDetail set as Medium and High.

On High i still have some more issues on certain surfaces and with

most of the objects, things like fences, walls, debris and also the

buildings and any object added in the editor.

It's like when you switch to the commander/tactical view and you're

in a shadow zone, if you zoom out you'll see better the units there

and how the shadow in there dissapears; which makes any "hiden"

unit or vehicle easyer to spott from the distance (30 or 40m) as

from 200 or 750m. As far as i know... or that i can see... that thing

it's a graphical engine bug and not something related to any particular

addon, building or whatever. Let's C ya

This map rocks. The more i play it the more I find.

Really great map thumbs-up.gif

I made some guard towers today and was thinking I could try securing the police station compound with concrete slabs.

1-1.jpg

2.jpg<a 3.jpg

What do you guys think? Too hardcore security for such a small town?

Now, those are cool guard towers, but I would prefer it without those, maybe some other type of small tower would be nice. But that would make it pretty untakable in a PVP with even teams.

also

I heard there was a problem with Avgani .9? Something about an MLOD(I dont know what it is), but I seem to lagg when i look towards the town when im on the out skirts.

To be honest i don't like the towers. Not that they are not good or pretty, they are nice. I like their textures.

Its just i think you are putting too many unnecessary stuff in the map.

Let some stuff and free space for the mission makers.

Else people will get tired of the map and the objects. Focus on the bugs and maybe build more diversity of buildings (the main idea)

I like them, it could be an outpost, as an security depot or something like that, away from big cities.

Focus on the bugs, a clear rpt file would be appreciated.

Nice towers, but as bravo6 said, leave some free space for mission makers. Those are very good models and You should leave them in editor for mission makers.

BTW. As someone said few pages earlier, there is a problem with loading objects in mission editor. I was getting cannot load .p3d file massage. The only object that I could use in editor was apartment building 1. I hope that this will be fixed if You are planing to release more bonus objects smile_o.gif

If it were my project, I would completely scrap the blue zone, traffic checkpoints, etc. I would leave that up to the mission maker, give them more freedom. I would just have the city as a city, if that makes any sense. I would however, build a small compound/outpost on one side of town that the good guys can use as a home. That's where I would use these great looking guard towers.

I'm with Monty all the way. I mean don't get me wrong, it's great that you put the effort into it for us and we all appreciate all the time and hard work you're putting in. With that said, I'd prefer the map to be a bit clear nonetheless, otherwise the creativity of the mission maker is held back also, you know what I mean?

Again, I (as well as everyone else here) am very appreciative of all that you've done thus far...I just think Monty is right and would rather have that ability to decide where and how on the map rather than one particular layout that's permanent. smile_o.gif

I also agree, like i said before.

Opteryx if you want those models to be used in your map, you can configure the config.cpp to have them as objects, so mission makers would have them available in editor when they load your map, and no extra addons would be needed for those objects. (i think its possible)

and no extra addons would be needed for those objects. (i think its possible)

Huh?

Anyway, I've removed the "bluezone" and VCPs, instead I've built a small FOB on the north-western outskirts. I think performance is a little better too now without all those concrete slabs smacked right in the middle of an already object dense area.

Hi, could you show us a pic of the current shape of that FOB and

the Bluezone?, just a Satellite image or a far away pic; just to have

an idea. Let's C ya

Hi, could you show us a pic of the current shape of that FOB

FOB Sykes

and the Bluezone?

There is none, I just said I had removed it.....

That's badass man! I can't wait to get my hands on the new version. Thanks for putting in the time to make what is one of the best!