Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani Iraq

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Woogie woogie! Can't wait. yay.gif

Brilliant work so far, glad to see your taking suggestions on board. And...That base looks great....Insurgent mortar crews are gonna love that...

Thanks for the time an effort you put into this, its greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Mark XIII

More enter able buildings is always a good thing.

Great map, I remember someone calling it the Iraqi equivalent of Schmafelden, and that is well said I think.

I like the look of the FOB m8, my personal opinion is that the concrete slabs look a bit out of place.  I think it would look better with stacked HESCO walls.  It might be because im a brit and the REME's just seem to stick HESCO anywhere they can lol.

Good job on the map tho.

EDIT:  Also would it be possible to move the Hotel in the now gone "BLUZONE" away from the front wall and road a little?

Im using this as a base in my template for the city,  having built the surrounding wall in HESCO and sangars on the roof it really looks the part. The problem is the access to the hotel compound is a very tight squeeze at the front for Hummers. Also you may want to rotate the building 180 degrees as the front entrance is currently at the back.

Cheers for all your work.

I like the look of the FOB m8, my personal opinion is that the concrete slabs look a bit out of place.  I think it would look better with stacked HESCO walls.  It might be because im a brit and the REME's just seem to stick HESCO anywhere they can lol.

Good job on the map tho.

EDIT:  Also would it be possible to move the Hotel in the now gone "BLUZONE" away from the front wall and road a little?

Im using this as a base in my template for the city,  having built the surrounding wall in HESCO and sangars on the roof it really looks the part. The problem is the access to the hotel compound is a very tight squeeze at the front for Hummers. Also you may want to rotate the building 180 degrees as the front entrance is currently at the back.

Cheers for all your work.

A ton of American FOBs in Iraq use the big concrete t-walls. I know what you mean about the Brits and hescos. Every British base I went to had hescos all over the place. One of our aircraft accidently tried to land on one when he browned out, lol.

Diammm Opteryx, good stuff!

I was just getting back to this forum that you make a small US compound/FOB with those guard towers, but it looks like you beat me to it  tounge2.gif

good work, sickkkkkkk!

*EDIT*

oh, and the Minaret should be by the Mosque. I've never seen what Avgani has in real life lol. (Im sure its happened, its just more common to have them together.)

*EDIT*

oh, and the Minaret should be by the Mosque. I've never seen what Avgani has in real life lol. (Im sure its happened, its just more common to have them together.)

Take a look at the satellite imagery in Google Earth, you'll see that there's a long shadow being cast on that hill which indicates that there's some sort of tower like structure there.

Hi, that new FOB looks good to me. Let's C ya

wow, and I thought it could not get better notworthy.gif

*EDIT*

Take a look at the satellite imagery in Google Earth, you'll see that there's a long shadow being cast on that hill which indicates that there's some sort of tower like structure there.

Copy,

your map I guess

*EDIT*

I don't have a problem with the minaret on the hill.  However, generally speaking I've rarely seen a mosque in the Middle East without a minaret either on the mosque building itself or located right next to it.  I don't just say that from movies and pictures as I've lived in Saudi Arabia and have travelled in Egypt and Bahrain...I also lived in Indonesia.

The FOB by the way looks AWESOME! Excellent job on that!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

That FOB is indeed very good!

The minaret should be on high ground so the loudspeaker will

get to everybody, perhaps and Its just an idea, how about a

minaret that has been blown to shit? Take the top half off, and

make it like a ruin, place that next to the mosque and its sorted.

I think the FOB is much better then the bluezone, however that

idea wasnt bad at all. Also I agree with what has been said about

moving the hotel a bit.

Im missing the massive grid of telephone and power wires though...

Great map, best so far!

Hi, i think that the TV station/building will fit better than that über

bugged hotel, because you can't see the units inside but the AI's

can see you through the windows and shot you while you can't.

If im not wrong this don't happens with the TV station/building, but

then the map will require the QG; and seems that not everyone likes

this requirement. Let's C ya

The Masjid is loosely based on a Mosque in Baghdad which I can't recall seeing having a Minaret. We'll see what I add in the future.

Funny you should mention that. whistle.gif

I had written a rather sizable post about Mosques and Minarets (curse the decision to write my dissertation on islamic architecture) but stopped in favour of not continuing the slightly pointless discussion... however, the shortened version:

Opteryx, I've looked at google earth and I agree with your conclusion. Its not certain its a minaret, but it seems the most logical explanation for a tower in that location.

Minarets are not a essentialy component of a Mosque, in fact many sects believe them to be ostentatious and contrary to the teachings of the Koran (If you wanted to dig deeper, one can also argue that a building is also entirely optional for a Mosque). Their placement and proximity to the mosque is entirely irrelevant. They are there to call the faithful to prayer.

If Avgani has a minaret in that location (in all probability), and Opteryx has placed the minaret in that location in ArmA... then it beggers belief that there's something to complain about.

Funny you should mention that. whistle.gif

I see you are adding some details that are good to make the map even more natural. smile_o.gif

From my first test on this terrain i noticed the trees have the same size, as if they were clones, i think you could change their size to make this feeling go away.

Great work smile_o.gif

From my first test on this terrain i noticed the trees have the same size, as if they were clones, i think you could change their size to make this feeling go away.

Great work smile_o.gif

Nope they aren't, only the random interval is rather small. I could change it a little though I agree.

Ohh, yes that makes me remember thinking about something that came to mind the other day doing a mission on that map.

How about adding a larger, better word perhaps is thicker "green zone"... And maybee add some easter eggs inside of this green zone.

And I know its based on Iraq, but it looks allot like Avganistan.

wink_o.gif

Any progress on finding out what is killing the tracer lighting effects on buildings and objects? The lighting effects at night during a firefight really increases the atmosphere and realism.

Cool looking base BTW. biggrin_o.gif

Just one other little suggestion. You might want to consider maybe importing or creating 1 to 2 meter sized satellite dishes to go on some of the roofs in the town. When I see pics from Iraq, theres always shit-loads of dishes on the sides or tops of peoples homes.

There are many more things, like car wrecks, sign posts, and

allsorts of stuff. Perhaps some places like the 2 lane road with

evidence of a prior IED attack...

Perhaps also some more locations for IED trigger men, and some

houses just seperate houses on all sides of the FOB.

Going to be a Fing great map on which "we" are going to have

ALLOT of awesome missions, and Ive heard some clans are even

going to have whole campaigns on this map! wink_o.gif

pistols.gifpistols.gifthumbs-up.gif

There are many more things, like car wrecks, sign posts, and

allsorts of stuff. Perhaps some places like the 2 lane road with

evidence of a prior IED attack...

jesus.. wow_o.gif

spear some work for the mission makers...

im against the idea to add wrecked cars to an original map. Like i suggested in Sakakah map.

Let the Mission makers decide to put those kinda objects.

fuck yeah! give the mission makers total freedom to dress the city as they wish!

I somehow liked it with all the preset stuff, reminded me of the famous Spearhead´44 map for OFP.

There wasnt much of a choice left for mission makers, but the overall feeling was just awesome and it was simply perfect for the usual lazy guy like me.

I somehow hoped Avgani would step into its shoes inlove.gif