Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani Iraq

hehe, when i saw that pic was the 1st thing that pop up into my head.. Low res. It happens to every map. Even BIS ones.

I like it, alot!

Good work, like normal

Yeah. It happens when I turn things down to low to gain some playability sometimes, too.

Just downloaded this and took a spin 'round with Jonny's SF guys in a Humvee and I felt like I was transported to Iraq or something. Just add some people in and some ambient sounds, wowzah! you really did an excellent job, mate.

I did notice one thing, though not sure if it's my end or not. I use 6th's tracers and well you know at night when you have a lot of them whizzing past building they sorta light up a bit? Well I don't have that on this map. I went to one of the Bis maps and it was fine. Maybe something at my end, probably. Just thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Like I said, you did a wicked great job on this map. I'm going to have great fun with this for sure. I can hardly wait. Thank you for taking the time to put it together, I can just imagine the amount of stress that comes with getting all of that right. notworthy.gif

I agree, this map is superbly realistic.  The city layout is absolutely spot on except for one tiny thing.   I like the minaret on the hill.  However you really should place at least one minaret by the mosque in the North of the town.  Generally speaking, minarets are usually found next to a mosque.  

The new buildings are excellent by the way, although speaking of mosques, it would kick ass if that big mosque was enterable with a beautiful domed blue ceiling and some nice pillars inside with prayer rugs.  In OFP, my mod (The Lost Brothers Mod) made a nice small enterable mosque.  That object and many more you are welcome to convert into ArmA, although our textures are probably not up to ArmA standards overall.  If you are interested I can give you a list of objects made specifically for LoBo as well as others that we have permission to convert.

At any rate, again great map.  I especially like the checkpoints and wall deviders.   I just had a massive battle with Jonny's Marines and some insurgents where the Marines defended the police station with lots of Marines on the roof and lots of insurgent snipers and gunners on other rooftops and USMC cobras and a blackhawk providing air cover.  A bit laggy at first with all the shooting but once the explosions settled down a bit, it wasn't too bad.  

I hope you continue to work on this map.  It is absolutely first rate!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

Just did a quick test to those bugs i noticed before the release and some bugs remain but other like the road sound bug disappeared smile_o.gif

Still notice some bugs in different buildings:<ul>in one building we can't use the stairs very well, as we get stuck when reach the top and when we try to come down.

in some (most) buildings we can't hear the solid floor while walking in it, instead we hear sand, and this shouldn't happen. There are some buildings the solid sound floor is good.

After you fix this bugs and the lag issue this will be one of the best terrains built for ArmA smile_o.gif

Obs: <ul>Too bad you didn't bother to build all roads outside the city and also the small villa at NE of the map. Hope you finish these.

The mask is improved, but i think you can make the colors abit more natural wink_o.gif I know you have the skill to improve it.

ps- Keep improving the terrain and keep up the great work on this Terrain. Don't do what you did with Sakakah.

edit:

Quote[/b] ]So we cant use this map without QG because of the ladder or is it still playable but with an error message?

You can use this map. I just did without QG and got no message.

edit2: just retested and your changed road do not have sound while walking in it.

I got an error about the ladder, but after that it played fine.  smile_o.gif

Yeah, this map is fantastic. It looks very authentic and I would imagine team deathmatch in multiplayer would be awesome. However, there are a few issues I found.

- These buildings circled in red aren't enterable. You should be able to find there location using the police station as a reference or just Cg17.

- The tables in the police station aren't solid. (not a big deal)

- The lights tend to turn on only when I'm very close to them. I'm 90% sure this is an issue with the Arma engine, because for some reason it only allows a specific amount of lights to be shown.

I also wanted to mention that I like how, in the police station, you can look into the cells but, (to my knowledge) not get in. It reminds me of the N64/PS1 generation when this type of thing was common, I think Driver might be a good example. I always wondered if there was a way to get in and if there were any secrets.  wink_o.gif

EDIT: I found another bug. Look back at my map, and based on where my character was, travel east. Go past the two roads and continue on the trail, then drive through the fence or just run through the gate. Turn right and go a short ways. There should be grey building with stairs going over a brick fence, and then back down, kind of like this: /|\. It's impossible to get over the first set of stairs without manipulating our character.

EDIT2: Once you go through the gate, look straight ahead for a multistory light tan building across the street. Climb up the stairs and once you get to the top, it's almost impossible to go back down.

EDIT3: I was getting a bit of slowdown in the market place. It might be something to look into or maybe my computer is just acting up.

just had a hour play run with the city. now looking at google maps at it. You did a bloody good job at recreating it. High 5 for that.

Just a question. Does anyone have any links for Iraq Police vehice's? I found DJfrogstars on armaholic but they got removed so is there anymore?

just had a hour play run with the city. now looking at google maps at it. You did a bloody good job at recreating it. High 5 for that.

Just a question. Does anyone have any links for Iraq Police vehice's? I found DJfrogstars on armaholic but they got removed so is there anymore?

There is a nice Iraqi National Police addon that I have...it should still be up somewhere. I hope that's not the one you talked about getting removed because its quite nice. I have no idea who made it. However it has no vehicles in it. I don't remember ever seeing any Iraqi police vehicles. It should be an easy job however to reskin the "technicals" (toyota pickups with MG's) into Iraqi patrol pickups.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

There is a nice Iraqi National Police addon that I have...it should still be up somewhere.  I hope that's not the one you talked about getting removed because its quite nice.  I have no idea who made it.   However it has no vehicles in it.  I don't remember ever seeing any Iraqi police vehicles.  It should be an easy job however to reskin the "technicals" (toyota pickups with MG's) into Iraqi patrol pickups.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

nah. I was talking of this pack

DJfrogstars Iraqi vehicle pack

I got Pauliesss Iraqi National Police Units. The quite nice.

I'll give a link. Coz Its what I playing around on the map this morning. Quite cool raiding a house complex with these guys.

Pauliesss Iraqi national police Units

That reminds...there is no ladder going up to the top of the minaret, so you can't use it to snipe....let alone do the Azan (call to prayer).

smile_o.gif

Soldat, not nice blowing mosque towers. Hmm... I wonder if the church's blow up in AmrA? Hmmmm.... lol J/k

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Really nice island man. Would you consider removing all of the text/labels off the map? Like all the checkpoints and stuff you have labeled? It just kind of limits mission makers unless they use everything as you have it labeled or tell the players to disregard the stuff labeled by you.

It's a wonderful city, really good work.

Really nice island man. Would you consider removing all of the text/labels off the map? Like all the checkpoints and stuff you have labeled? It just kind of limits mission makers unless they use everything as you have it labeled or tell the players to disregard the stuff labeled by you.

It's a wonderful city, really good work.

x2

I have one thing to ask tho, did you make some changes in the lighting? I thought I've seen a slight change in the light, even if i did not have the time to test it further (or to look in the config file).

Imo it's an overlooked feature that every map can have its own lighting. Would be more easy if we had some intel about it tho.

Really nice island man.

arf, its not an island!

Its a Terrain. wink_o.gif

Yeah, thats my addon (INP). inlove.gif

I am angry because I cant test this map, because I am not at home right now, but looked great on screens, will test it as soon as possible, thanks Opteryx. notworthy.gif

Opteryx:

arma-2008-07-25-04-17-12.jpg

(yesterday's squadnight - photoshoot after successful mh6 insertion and neutralization of insurgent group)

Hi, this map is great, the city looks like a real city, no lag at all in

the editor using the Jonn's USMC v1.6 and i just wish to begin to

view it used in pulic servers for COOP, CTS, CS&R & C&C (Clean &

Clear) MP missions with the Jonny's Marines & his SF's; but the AI

have "some throubles" when they interact with the enviroment; i

miss a bit some of the QG objects... like the fabrics buildings, some

of those opened hangars, the places to let the animals drink water,

the benches and tables to mount nice BBQ's with some joints, beer

and vodka, some speed and like 2 dismounted pigs that cook with

the fellas; and the QG's observation/guard tower, that one with

lights that you can fall off from it (as you can pass by the "security"

side fences) but this is the best urban enviroment that i've seen

here or in the OFP times. An impressive job, many thanks. Let's C ya

WOAH! This terrain is fantastic! Will be making some missions with WP_Insurgents and Jonny's USMC and some missions with Iraqi Police versus heavy insurgents forces! biggrin_o.gif

This would be great for some "Mog" style Action hey! Anyone with me on that... getting some Blackhawk Down action on this terrain would be sweet!

Awesome! I just hope some missions are released for it inlove.gif

Really nice island man.

arf, its not an island!

Its a Terrain.  wink_o.gif

Have you really nothing better to do than scan the forums and correct technicalities? I would consider "island" to be slang for any "terrain" in ArmA or OFP.

In all fairness people nitpick things on these forums down to the last pixel and I say there's a rather big difference between and island and a map.

Anyway I'd rather see people stay on topic, there's over 20 000 objects on the map and it's not easy for me to find every flaw by myself, so keep posting bugs.