Sign in to follow this  
Johannes

Jonny´s Army Special Forces

Very good locking SF units, better than the BIS SF guys. thumbs-up.gif

hey guys,

disregard if it has been said, apologies but i dont have the time at the moment to read it all :P

But the mags are upside down in the shingles, you shouldnt be able to see the rounds, mags go rounds down. definately shouldnt have the magpuls on that end.

like i said disregard if it has been said.

biggrin_o.gif 7 posts above yours wink_o.gif

Very much liking these guys. Nice to have some new toys in ACU.

I noticed elsewhere in the thread that .Jonny mentioned having some non-released models wearing PCU. Er, any chance of having one/some added to any update for varieties' sake?

I noticed elsewhere in the thread that .Jonny mentioned having some non-released models wearing PCU. Er, any chance of having one/some added to any update for varieties' sake?

that will be included in V1.1 aswell as three new unit classes (AT, engineer and DMR) and various bugfixes and general improvements.

that will be included in V1.1 aswell as three new unit classes (AT, engineer and DMR) and various bugfixes and general improvements.

The U.S. Army doesn't designate thier special forces troops as AT, DMR, etc. A standard U.S. Army Special Forces A-Team is made up of 12 men.

TEAM COMMANDER (18A)

TEAM WARRANT OFFICER (180A)

TEAM SERGEANT (18Z)

TEAM OPERATIONS & INTEL SERGEANT (18F)

SENIOR & JUNIOR WEAPONS SERGEANTS (18B)

SENIOR & JUNIOR ENGINEERING SERGEANTS (18C)

SENIOR & JUNIOR MEDICAL SERGEANTS (18D)

SENIOR & JUNIOT COMMUNICATIONS SERGEANTS (18E)

The U.S. Army doesn't designate thier special forces troops as AT, DMR, etc. A standard U.S. Army Special Forces A-Team is made up of 12 men.

TEAM COMMANDER (18A)

TEAM SERGEANT (18Z)

that is true. However i think that is the point why i called them generic special forces so i dont have to do 12 different models for 12 different squad members of a real oda squad.

Moreover i think it is difficult for people to recognize the different units such as AT or the DMR guy in such a structure.

Roger that, it's your project.

EDIT: Looking back, I didn't see the word generic anywhere in your original post. I thought you were trying to have a realistic structure. Also, the whole AT, DMR, MG stuff doesn't matter most of the time since the first thing people do is run for an ammo crate. Good luck with the update, hope it goes smoothly.

TEAM COMMANDER (18A)

TEAM SERGEANT (18Z)

that is true. However i think that is the point why i called them generic special forces so i dont have to do 12 different models for 12 different squad members of a real oda squad.

Moreover i think it is difficult for people to recognize the different units such as AT or the DMR guy in such a structure.

This is quite true, and I thank you for that. TBH, I prefer the official designation- I just like to know which guys in the team are carrying what.

Roger that, it's your project.

EDIT: Looking back, I didn't see the word generic anywhere in your original post. I thought you were trying to have a realistic structure. Also, the whole AT, DMR, MG stuff doesn't matter most of the time since the first thing people do is run for an ammo crate. Good luck with the update, hope it goes smoothly.

oh well i used the word 'fictional' in my original post so...

But yes its also true what you say. it doesnt really matter what names you give them. People still run to the ammo crates and get their favourite weapons. However i tried to resemble the names that i gave to the units in their gear. The SAW gunner has got big SAW ammo pouches. The Gl guy has got a lot of 40mm grenade pouches and so on.

Quote[/b] ]The U.S. Army doesn't designate thier special forces troops as AT, DMR, etc.

In the mission editor you could change the name of the unit to reflect the army designation: eg "N. Guba (E18)". The other name is seen only in the editor anyway, or when joining a mp game. For both cases it's important to know the weapon the unit has.

As the equipment of the soldier model doesn't change when you change weapons and loadout, running to the next weapon crate to swap a SAW for a SPR isn't feasible anyway. At least not unless someone is such a powergamer that he doesn't care if he breaks immersion and roleplay for his squadmembers.

@jonny: i'm really excited about a new version to come! Best unit addon so far even becomming better, and more versatile. Thank you for hearing to the constructive critisism in the thread.

I've got one request too: Unless you've done so already could you please change the camera position in the model from the top of the head to the right eye? The default BIS model is not correct, causing the first person view to look somewhat unreal/out of proportion. There's a thread here describing the problem.

Cameron McDonald may also be helpfull, as he implemented it for his 1st ID. (you can do a test with a normal soldier and a 1st ID and switching units, to see what it looks like.)

I'm a bit confused about one thing and that is if it is a ARMA limitation for not having pistols in the holsters? I think the models could use them, so is it possible to have them added?

I'm a bit confused about one thing and that is if it is a ARMA limitation for not having pistols in the holsters? I think the models could use them, so is it possible to have them added?

Absolutely, it's possible.

It would be killer if Cameron's PVS-14 models can be added to these units, too.

But I'm happy just to have them as-is anyways.

In MP games, people may run for the ammo crate, but in SP missions, often there is no ammo crate.  Your extra ammo and/or weapons is what you pick up off of corpses.   At least that's how it is in most of the SP missions I've played and in the ones I make.   So in MP missions, yeah having various types is very important especially when you depend heavily on AI soldiers and thus you REALLY need to the different types in order to have a well balanced squad of AI soldiers.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

As monty also stated, possible. Jonnys older 1.5 marines had them obviously.

But from this quote: "I removed the pistol from the holster as it was causing some weird problems for me and it was just antother 1024*1024 on the model. not worth the performance it was taking..."

It looks like he won't be adding them again, which is fine as they were largely eye-candy anyway.

But besides that and as I was pointing out in my reply on the Marine thread, the fact that the holsters are not dynamically "used" makes it pretty much useless in my opinion. (Think the GRAW series, CoD4 and a few other recent games. These have what I'd describe as "dynamic" holsters, probably not a good/correct descriptive)

I believe BIS should have designed them so that when you had a specific pistol in your gear/inventory it would show in the holster such as a M1911, Sig P226, Kimber or whatever would show rather than just always a Beretta M92F.

I'm hoping ArmA II gets rid of this issue but I have some serious doubts, OFP2 might though (I hope.)

hmm, dunno but maybe, for some kind of placeholder we could make the pistol a hidden selection, and a script that checks if you are using pistol or rifle. If using Pistol then settexture [x,"noweapon.paa"] which would be a transparent texture or so.

or the other way.

if weapon is not pistol, settexture [x,"weaponholstered.paa"]

the thing is that you can't change the model but it would do the job in some way.

I think that it won't be a problem to get the status/type of the weapon used, but for that bit of eyecandy it's too much work I'd say.

you don't need to use a transparent texture to hide a hidden selection, you just set texture the selection with no texture.

you're already pointed out the largest problem with your suggestion, a script that constantly checks whether the weapon is holstered or in use... place enough units on the map with other things going on, you're just eating up resources for what is rather pointless eye candy.

does it really matter? lest this become the next 'omfg the gloves are the wrong colour' discussion.

Thanks for all the replies. I know that it is eye candy, but empty holsters just do not sit well in this addon. If it caused issues for Jonny, I can understand his decision, no argument there. I'm just saying that not having pistols in the holsters does take a little away from his pretty much spot on addon.

you don't need to use a transparent texture to hide a hidden selection, you just set texture the selection with no texture.

you're already pointed out the largest problem with your suggestion, a script that constantly checks whether the weapon is holstered or in use... place enough units on the map with other things going on, you're just eating up resources for what is rather pointless eye candy.

does it really matter? lest this become the next 'omfg the gloves are the wrong colour' discussion.

no I don't really care about, just wanted to point it out smile_o.gif

and ye, of course you're right, if you've got a hidden selection then you don't need a transparent texture, my fault whistle.gif

I'm not a scripting genius but surely you wouldn't need a script constantly running checks to see if it's in or out? Drawing and holstering your pistol is a one-off event so surely you'd just script it to add the model into the holster by default, remove it when you switch to sidearm, and replace it when you return to primary/secondary. Course if you don't have a primary weapon... or you do something which takes all guns out of your hand like going prone with an AT4... I dunno. But there were games which actually animated the drawing and returning of a pistol long before stuff like GRAW or COD4, and I'm pretty certain they weren't constantly eating up resources checking whether it should have a pistol model visible or not.

Anyway I dunno why I'm even saying it, I couldn't care less. Again, nice work Jonny. thumbs-up.gif

Now this is the best SF units out to date now there Jonny wink_o.gif Vary nice job on all ends gear and all just nailed it love the units biggrin_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Kickass units. I have used them for a few days now smile_o.gif

Hi, hey Jonny, if you gonna add a new unit with a baseball cap...

please, don't make it one of those dirty NY caps; think in L.A. for

example... or some other thing. I've the HD plenty of über pimp

logos that will make those dirty baseball caps that now every damn

yankee wannabe wears look more mean than a blood transferency

with an ebola infected patient, so PM me if you want to check out

some of those logos or something. Let's C ya

Hi, hey Jonny, if you gonna add a new unit with a baseball cap...

please, don't make it one of those dirty NY caps; think in L.A. for

example... or some other thing. I've the HD plenty of über pimp

logos that will make those dirty baseball caps that now every damn

yankee wannabe wears look more mean than a blood transferency

with an ebola infected patient, so PM me if you want to check out

some of those logos or something. Let's C ya

i am a Yankees fan smile_o.gif