Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

WW1 Mod Release

@ Reyhard : (1) i didn't know it was possible to modify only a part of the cfgmovesMC section, i thought you have to rewrite it completely... Anyway now the problem is temporary solved (is it ?). (2) Game logic is a very nice idea ! (3) I didn't see any "grenade" bug on my pboed missions...It may be related to the specific "PGM_throw"...could you tell me more ?

@ -snafu- : to add ONE mustard artillery shell to a canon : type this in its init line (only one because it is laggy..., that's why in the WW1gas mission only two canons shoot one mustard shell each)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addEventHandler [{fired},{[_this select 0,(Nearestobject [_this select 0,_this select 4])] exec "\PGM_scripts\mustard.sqs"}]

to launch the mustard script anywhere (only need a position) :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">position exec "\PGM_scripts\chem.sqs"

For example, put an invisible H on the map, name it "H", and you can launch the mustard script with for example a trigger with this in the on activation field :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">getpos H exec "\PGM_scripts\chem.sqs"

Thank you Sepe and ProfTournesol!

Got it working.

Quote[/b] ]And as for the black thingy, agree. I think CWMOD made it so that 'regular' regiments didn't have blacks at all, but black regiments did, as it was in reality that time. Don't know if these existed in WW1 though, I'd figure that blacks would be mostly serving as chefs and similar non-fighting units. But that's just what I'd expect from that era, I'll see if I can find any real information on it.

@ Sepe

There were indeed some ethnic minorities serving in the regular British Army during WW1. I remember seeing a TV programme around Remembrance Day last year (Nov 11) that mentioned a black soldier who fought in one of the Regiments down in England and he eventually rose up the ranks a little bit but died during the end of the war AFAIK. I imagine other ethnic minority troops would have served in Regiments of Empire.

EDIT:

Found a very interesting topic on the issue here.

Quote[/b] ]I didn't see any "grenade" bug on my pboed missions...It may be related to the specific "PGM_throw"...could you tell me more ?

I checked it and you are right. It's caused pgm_throw which disappears after packing mission. After adding "PGM_throw" to player group everything worked fine.

Quote[/b] ]i didn't know it was possible to modify only a part of the cfgmovesMC section, i thought you have to rewrite it completely...

Method is taken from various zombie addons so if you have some problems with creating new cfgMoves entry look for example on Farmlands Horror Pack III wink_o.gif

@ Reyhard : yes, you were perfectly right and the bug was more complicated that it seemed (player as leader or not wasn't treated the same way by the game...it took me a while before understanding this...).

But now it is corrected (the reammo.sqs and the config men were i added "throw" to each unit), and i added the game logic you were talking about. Thanks for everything.

Please download mini bug fix 1_5 (first page updated).

Hi,

Two more questions:

How did you use the RDS Artillery in your missions?

How did you get the whistle noise at the beginning of the missions?

EDIT:

Another question.

The AI attackers don't seem to want to venture into the trenches. Any way to force this?

Quote[/b] ]How did you use the RDS Artillery in your missions?

You can put RDS gamelogics (found under game logic, RDS Logic (Artillery)) on the map, or use my "randplace.sqs" script (see WW1artillery mission) which creates those gamelogics at different places. I attach that script to a simple game logic, (with in its init line : [this, 200] exec "randplace.sqs", 200 being the area around the game logic where explosions can take place) then move that game logic.

Quote[/b] ]How did you get the whistle noise at the beginning of the missions?

It's simply a sound that you can find in a trigger for example as "WW1 whistle sound". (you can also make a unit play that sound thanks to : nameofunit say "PGM_SIF1" or nameofunit say "PGM_SIF2")

Quote[/b] ]The AI attackers don't seem to want to venture into the trenches. Any way to force this?

Don't know how...they should be able to cross the trenches as there is a "path lod", but it doesn't work quite well...that's why i put roads in the trenches, to help units find their way, but it doesn't work very well...

The units move perfectly in the trenches for me, once they are in that is. But attacking AI never goes in for mopping, leaving the dirty work to the player (not that it wouldn't be fun to sneak around in fog&rain not being able to tell the difference between a dead enemy and one aiming a rifle at you smile_o.gif Lending some grenades and maybe a pistol from fallen foes proves useful there)

And the artillery doesn't seem to work for me either, when using a regular game logic. The pre-set RDS logics work fine, with the craters and all, but can't figure a way to control the radius or timing of the barrage.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[position, "typeofshel"", height on which shell are spawned, number of volleys, number of art pieces, Time between volleys, Time variation between volley , time between each shot?, radius of shelling] exec "\RDS_Art\scr\g_arty.sqs"

example

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[getpos player, ""typeofshel"", 30, 3, 3, 7, 5, 8, 90 + random 80] exec "\RDS_Art\scr\g_arty.sqs"

Put it in trigger, script or in unit init field.

Hope that help you wink_o.gif

@ pepe : You're right, i'm just stupid. You must set a variable to true for the artillery to work... banghead.gif

This variable is named "bombstop" : so set "bombstop = true " somewhere for the randplace.sqs to work and the artillery begins firing (i know that seting a variable named "bombstop" to true to begin bombing seems stupid...). When you want it to stop, set bombstop = false.

or use Reyhard script which i didn't know

@ Reyhard : could you post the readme of the rds_art somewhere around here ?

Nice mod! I looked around but i didn't found balloons or zeppelin that fit into WW1 scenario. Would be nice to have them as kind of observation for artillery or reveal enemys movement. Thanks anyway smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Nice mod! I looked around but i didn't found balloons or zeppelin that fit into WW1 scenario. Would be nice to have them as kind of observation for artillery or reveal enemys movement. Thanks anyway

There was an earlier attempt at a World War One Mod called No Man's Land (abbreviation NML) and the Black Baron created a number of fighter aircraft from that era. I suggest you might use those strings ("NML"and "Baron") to search at OFP.info (both "News" and "Addons"). I'm not sure how well they'd fit in with the Prof's work, though.

I don't recall it's capabilities, but a WWI observation balloon is available here (NML Draken) (127 kb).

No Man's Land Addons.

Yep, someone could take that duty to help me, maybe contacting the guy that did those nice WW2 barrage balloons which could be modified as observation ones :

Ofp.info news : Barrage balloon updated

Ofp.info news : deploy pack

I'm currently working on a modif of the current field canons to set them in an "anti aerial position".

feldkanone96na6gd7.jpg

ww1art5jz9.jpg

There won't be major reworking on this mod before September / October, because of RL issues, but i'll continue debuging / small enhancements in the mean time.

But everyone is welcome to release modify / things or missions for it  goodnight.gif

Yeah, the artillery works now! Great! I did check your example mission but couldn't figure what the heck could "bombstop" mean (except for the obivious, which it didn't), but yep, it works now. And pretty deadly too, I put a game logic with a 500 radius in the middle of the trench section (between the frontline and the one with bunkers), and got killed by the shelling two times in a row, when running in the trenches!

I did start a small mission too, though balancing isn't too easy. You play as a british pilot, shot down (but alive) in No Man's Land. The objective is simple: Get back to friendly lines. I was wondering, though, would it be realistic for a pilot to carry a small handheld compass with him, as they'd propably have one in the plane anyways? And it would spice up the mission a bit, when you'd find yourself in the enemy trench instead of a friendly one!

By the way, does the mustard gas actually inflict any damage? I did some testing on unmasked civilians, and even though they coughed, one gassing didn't seem to have an effect on their health (didn't check it with a script though)

I really like that idea of mission. Moving on the map at night without map in the pocket (showmap false), only flares here and there, and shell explosions to light the area is a real great atmosphere.

Yes the script does inflict dammages, but minor ones (as mustard gas was more "incapacitating" than really deadly, it killed on the long term) : dammage is 0.025 each time the unit is hurt by a cloud without mask. So it takes time before inflicting real dammage.

@ Sepe : As i like this idea, i just uploaded a "portable vickers" as dismounted from the plane. You could release it with the mission, giving deserved credits to Anzac, author of the vickers model.

Download link to the portable vickers

Name of the weapon : pgm_vickP

Name of the magazine : pgm_vickPmag

ProfT: The Vickers is great! Now I'll have to figure out a way to put it into "an invisible crate" (or just on the ground) at the position of the plane wreck (the plane, as well as the player, are a few meters above the ground as the mission starts to give the bailing out feeling) Does getPos work if the vehicle is destroyed?

And oh, anybody know of any good minefield warning signs? Sure could use some if (as) the player has to go without a map!

By the way, I found out that combining the grave digger script and General Barron's old good surrender script gives a nice after-battle atmosphere (putting the prisoners into work, that is)

To create a weaponholder, just put an object somewhere where you want the weapon to appear. Let's say the plane, named "plane". Type the following code in an init line, or the "on activation" line of a trigger (create it when the plane is destroyed for example, "not alive plane" as "condition" for the trigger) :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">weaponh = "weaponholder" createvehicle getpos plane;weaponh addWeaponCargo ["pgm_vickP",1];weaponh addMagazineCargo ["pgm_vickPmag",3]

Great, thanks! I put an action in the plane so that the player can remove the Vickers (playMove CombatToMedic and adds the weapon into the weaponholder) and figured that it might be pretty realistic for the player to be able to get the map from the plane too. I guess just adding showMap true to the script will do the trick (or to frustrate the player even more, give another action for searching the map, now all I need is a way to simulate a partially burned/ripped map biggrin_o.gif )

By the way, would it be possible to run the mustard script without an unit firing a shot? (Triggered by the artillery barrage would be ideal of course, but a trigger where the player is present is just fine, as there's plenty of artillery around anyways)

Hate to be bothering you all the time, but that's what happens when someone who doesn't know anything about mission making tries to make a mission smile_o.gif

ProfT: The Vickers is great! Now I'll have to figure out a way to put it into "an invisible crate" (or just on the ground) at the position of the plane wreck (the plane, as well as the player, are a few meters above the ground as the mission starts to give the bailing out feeling) Does getPos work if the vehicle is destroyed?

And oh, anybody know of any good minefield warning signs? Sure could use some if (as) the player has to go without a map!

By the way, I found out that combining the grave digger script and General Barron's old good surrender script gives a nice after-battle atmosphere (putting the prisoners into work, that is)

Where can we get General Barron's surrender script mate?

OFPEC, the one depot to rule them all!

Yeah, tried that. Says file is damaged when I try to open it.

Ok, here's a variant of the randplace.sqs, which delivers mustard shells :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_uni = _this select 0

_dis = _this select 1

_numberofmushell = _this select 2

_counter = 0

#begin

@ bombstop

#loop

_cooX = (getpos _uni select 0)

_cooY = (getpos _uni select 1)

_wheX = random (_dis*2)-_dis

_wheY = random (_dis*2)-_dis

_pos =  [_cooX+_wheX,_cooY+_wheY,0]

_logic = "rds_artlogic3r" createvehicle _pos

? (_counter < _numberofmushell): _pos exec "\pgm_scripts\chem.sqs";_counter = _counter + 1

~30

? (bombstop) : goto "loop"

goto "begin"

exit

Name it "randplaceM.sqs" and launch it like this : [object,area,number of mustard shells] exec "randplaceM.sqs", where object is the "center" of the artillery barrage, area is the max radius around the center, and number of mustard shells the amount of mustard shells that will explode ("2" will mean : 1 mustard shell for the first 3 volleys, then another one for the next three volleys, then only normal shells).

Just realized that i screwed Vickers ammo belt animation. I've corrected it and modified 3rd person view too.

Let's see first page for mini bug fix 1_6.