Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

WW1 Mod Release

Maybe just me, however I think AI like to ditch the planes into the ground.

This is one hell of a mod, job well done! Will there be expansions in the future or is this it for now?

Besides the few glitches mentioned, the only thing that bothers me really is that just about each infantry unit is armed with a grenade. With BIS, they love to lob these at each other (especially if there are large groups they are facing) before using the bayonet at close range, is there any chance to leave the grenades to grenadiers? There could also be ammo boxes for each nation if one would need another weapon.

Mini bug fix re-updated today (20/07) to correct reammo.sqs script in the PGM_scripts.pbo file, to avoid the "no ammo" complaint of some soldiers (soldiers with not bayonet riffles) in pbo-ed missions. See link in the first page of this topic.

@ Salvatore_lee : in fact, the anim used for reloading in the samurai pack is a BIS unused one (ReloadMG), because it's implemeted only in the "stand up" stance (for crouch ou lying, it uses the standard ReloadMagazine anim). Maybe i would have to work on this for a further release (i would have to create CrouchReloadMG and LyingReloadMg anims, then issue a config.bin to modify the CfgMoves section).

@ tankieboy : yes, plane tend to crash after some times, because of their slow speed. If someone knows how to correct this without increasing planes speed, i looking after this.

@ Belgerot : i agree the ammobox, i'll work on this (in fact i wanted to add several objects but i hadn't enough time). About grenades and grenadiers, i agree too but (1) units can only defend themselves against armor with grenades and (2) the use of grenades was very extensive during WW1 in close combats, and not only by grenadiers. But maybe could we have standard squad with 4 grenadiers, 4 musketeers, 1 machinegunner and 1 squad leader.

Hello! ProfTournesol I wanted to thank you for putting together a WWI mod. I used to play around with the idea and used WW2 mods and addons. I really appreciate the effort you took! notworthy.gif

I use a mix of the ECP and SLX mod with some other AI scripts and the battles are really great. Always been a fan of playing around with the AI.

Heres somethings I noticed and/or wanted to comment about. Not to spoil anything though!

First with the airplanes, I actually really enjoy them. I've seen them do some crazy dare devil manuvours over a few battles. The air to air fighting and ground attack I think is simulated fairly well for ofp. I also like that you made sure the pilots didn't open chutes when they jumped out. The smoke effect goes really well also, but I think after the plane crashes there should be a small explosion (as to simulate debri), maybe the explosive power of just a grenade. Or maybe random, sometimes an explosion sometimes not one. Since of course the planes are basically wood and canvas held together by wire, so most of the crashes were no fan fair. But this explosion bit is not a big deal.

------------------

The flamethrowers, not to depreciate what you put together. I think the flamethrowers are good but I think the red devils flame thrower script and sound should be used. I don't know if you can get permission or maybe just add the credits to them. But the sound and action I think works better with the the red devil technique.

The flamethrower burns and sets fire to people and vehicles and you can set the damage values how ever you want. I used the redevils script when I was playing around with the WH40k mod, they used a system where the flames would create bullets to kill/destroy , sort of like how the close combat system works. The system uses a simple trigger also.

BTW also, I don't know if you'd want to use this, but I set it up when playing. I use a script and trigger combo that blows up the flamethrower if killed then sets fire to his body. I could send you the files and info just to check it out at least.

--------------------------------

I was wondering if you're going to include combat shotguns. Like the Winchester M1897. Right now I've just been giving them Kozlice shotguns. Maybe you could use this. With out the scope. I'm sure theres another models on there they would do the same. Although ofp doesn't model shotgun shells exactly. You could just set a higher dispersion rate for the AI and player that fires faster (I could help you with this one.)

Winchester 1892 v1.0

---------------------------------

Cannons/AA/Mguns

I was wondering if you could give the cannons a commander also. It seems strange seeing just one person.

Also will you make (if you have time) stuff like trench mortars

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/heavy-ww1-allied.htm

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/heavy-ww1-german.htm

[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aircraft_warfare WWI

Also I was wondering if you could make the Static Mguns in a M2 position. Where the soldier is standing.

Maxim

I think theres a lewis around. I was thinking you could use them for AA with the m2 stand and as an easy set up for trenches to simulate them putting it on top of a trench while inside one. So you wouldn't have to take another extra step and create another model where the gun is at the same M2 height but with a tripod with the guy standing. Or if you do have time...up to you!

BTW if you do make an AA cannon, could they fire shells instead of explosive HE rounds?

---------------------------

Grenades.. this is a personal preference... but if you use the vanilla grenades I think the combat just isn't right, with the SLX mod the vanilla grenades work a lot better. But my personal preference is the ..

BD Grenade Pack v3.2

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.p....&page=0

tell me what you think.

----------------------

Mines,

Spetnaz made a bunch of them, and they all work well, theres just a ton of variety. Maybe you could use a few of them.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.p....&page=4

-----------

Trench objects, I was wondering if you have time if you could make the map icons, scale and fit the shape of them, kinda like how BB military objects are. BTW I use Nik's objects, Mapfact, Fightpositions and BB military objects when I play around with the mod. smile_o.gif

------------

I was also wondering if you could make a few troop models where they weren't carrying equipment or backpacks to use them at HQ's/pubs/outside combat

Including even a civilian female nurse. I forgot which civilian pack they had one in.

--------------

Weapon tracers..

I was wondering if you could set up the tracers differently. You use the vanilla tracers have that long wire like line, could you instead use more of a blip. I could give you an addon that shows what I mean. I'm not talking about the tracer addons like the BN_tracer.pbo

I think they would be a little more fitting and help reduce lag.

----------------------

Animation and AI

Would this be possible? I don't want to add on to you're work, just something I'd be super interested in!

Script Mix

Could you work with the VME team?

To add things like the strafing feature, even though the WWI troops don't really use automatic weapons. I think it would add the the atmosphere. Give the AI some more combat options.

Theres a few things I think would work great with the WWI mod. Like the AI wounded animations and the AI suppression animation (kinda like they're cowering). And there suppression fire AI looks like it would be great for Trenches. Also noticed they're AI will do stroke gun even with ammo if near. They have videos up on ofp info.

Engineers can build fences etc.

I can't seem to find the pics right now.

Like I said with the SLX mod also, Don't know if you play with it, but the AI also drags wounded, drops weapons and if running will jump on the deck, and has an interesting new combat walk. Blood spurts, bleeding (effects health) and all that jazz.

If you use the SLX mod, you don't need to add in player leaning and rolling etc, it's included.

With all this, it would make for one heck of a time.

------------------------------------

And last... could you include a list of the weapons and ammo/magazines used? For MB.

--------------------------

I hope this wasn't to long and I guess this is all for now. I thoroughly enjoy it all, and major props on the gas mask and mustard gas!!!!

I hope this didn't sound pretentious also.

I started playing around with pbo/config.cpp's and such a while back not a pro at all but I'd really like helping you, specially to ease some of your work if I can. Take care.

No worries about the grenades in this case, I definitely see your point.

With plane values, maybe the mass is set too high, that's what is causing the poor performance? I've never really looked into the properties of it in the config but maybe it's set too heavy, therefore they are prone to crashing?

@ Salvatore_lee : in fact, the anim used for reloading in the samurai pack is a BIS unused one (ReloadMG), because it's implemeted only in the "stand up" stance (for crouch ou lying, it uses the standard ReloadMagazine anim). Maybe i would have to work on this for a further release (i would have to create CrouchReloadMG and LyingReloadMg anims, then issue a config.bin to modify the CfgMoves section).

Got the .rtm name for the ReloadMG? Could give it a try.

Don't count on it though, I'm lazy and haven't touched OfpAnim for a while, so the outcome might be quite crappy. But I can certainly see what I can do, you're propably busy on the stuff that matters anyway!

And oh, I tried searching a czech dictionary for "reload" but no luck tounge2.gif

Thanks! "kulometnabij.rtm" that is! Appears to be the one CWMOD uses for weapons loaded from the back, such as Colt Revolving and Sharps carbines/rifles. Always wondered what it is.

Don't know if I'll be able to copy the anim identically into crouch and prone positions, but then again, making a new bolt action anim shouldn't be that hard.

I'll get working right away, ProfT, can you PM me your email so I'll send 'em when/if I'm done?

EDIT: Well, seems like there might be a problem afterall. The normal reloading anim takes 11,4 seconds, while the "ReloadMG" is only 4,8sec. Can the config be edited so that the crouch and prone reloads also only take around 5 seconds?

EDIT2:

Turned out the crouching and prone reloading only takes 3 seconds in my anims. That's a short time for an OFP reload, but after all, reloading a bolt action is somewhat quicker than changing a magazine. I can make it longer if you wish though, gotta tweak 'em a bit anyways. Here's some pics for ya anyway.

bolt1chk2.jpg

Crouch reload starting

bolt2cmj9.jpg

The bolt is back, ready to reload another shot into the chamber!

bolt1ptv2.jpg

And lastly, the same anim in prone position. The unit rests the butt of his rifle on the ground while reloading (don't know what the manual says but that seemed to be the most natural position to me)

I am really enjoying this mod and have been having alot of fun experimenting with scripts and addons in the mission editor, one thing that really bugs me though about this mod is the static MG's, they seem far too accurate and some of the sounds are pretty unpleasant so I thought i'd make a little example addon with a reconfiged maxim mg with how I think it should work.. I've also placed it inside a nifty little mg nest smile_o.gif, which I thought would look nice as my interest in addon making has been resparked by this release.. anyway this mg posistion fires in bursts rather than full auto which I found was more realistic and has a considerably higher dispersion which allows the player to take cover more easily without the a.i. using it as an automatic sniper rifle, heres a couple of pictures:

pic1ba9.jpg

pic2ka0.jpg

this is just an example addon really, im probably going to make a whole other load of objects/mg posistions/etc to go with this mod which should be nice as at the moment no mans land is looking rather like a blank canvas ready to be painted on with debris and blood smile_o.gif

This little log posistion uses a floor texture in order to make it seem more natural (in a similar way to my Earthworks Addon which also goes well with this mod, if you want a few 3d craters, burnt trees and bits of cover to hide behind smile_o.gif)

heres a link anyway, this addon is not fully polished though does the trick fine as an example and can be found under Empty\Armour\ in the mission editor, make sure you run it with the WW1 mod aswell because otherwise you will get missing textures:

Download here - Mediafire link

Thanks for your supports and ideas.

@ PoPKa : very nice ideas, i wanted to rework those MG accuracy but forgot it. I've just modified MG config to stick to what you have done and added new MG sounds (burst sounds, 6 bullets). I love that inaccuracy and rate of fire.

Please re download mini bug fix 1_3 from first page (299 Ko cause Vickers.pbo file doesn't need to be modified anymore).

Very nice work on that MG, looking forward to see more ! (downloading earthworks now).

@ dynamite_cow : nice work, i think that the 3 anims should take the same amount of time. I'm not sure where the "real" time of the anim is defined (anim time or speed in the config.bin ?). Actual reload action lasts 5 seconds approximately (ofpanim time : 9,6 s and config.bin speed : "-2,4").

PforT: Don't know about the config file, but the simple edited Anim.pbo worked fine for me, didn't check it with a timer but it looked nice and didn't seem to differ too much from the actual reload time (then again, as the rifle is lowered and stuff, you need to aim properly after shooting. Gotta do some more testing tonight). Looks pretty interesting with the MP18 though (AFAIK the reload anim can be defined in the config so that the MP18 and maybe the machineguns - which didn't look that strange with the bolt action one either - will still use the old good magazine anim?)

However, I'll try to get it somewhere around 5 seconds. It's a long time for reloading a bolt action though.

Popka: Looks great! If I may lay a request, could it be possible to make a MG nest that fits the trench section (that is, no more gaps in the trenchline)? That would be perfect!

And oh yeah, I'm Dynamite_cow. Changed my username as I haven't been using it for ages pretty much anywhere but here. So any private messages to this account, please, as the old one will be deleted pretty soon.

@ Sepe aka dynamite  biggrin_o.gif  : two solutions :

=> the easiest : replace the Combat / lying / crouchreloadmagazine files (snabij.rtm, kleknabij.rtm and plizeninabij.rtm) in the anim.pbo. But All weapons will now use that anim instead of the old one, including MG and automatic riffles. But why not as now all weapons must use the reload magazine action.

=> the sophisticated : modify the Cfgmoves section to implement the Combat / lying / crouchreloadMG not implemeted by BIS (only kulometnabij.rtm available), so we can define two kinds of reloading action (MG and Magazine, first for bolt action, second for automatic riffles / MG). But then i have to release a config.bin.

=> 5 seconds isn't absolutely necessary, it can be shorter, but the three anims need to have the same duration. I'll have to modify the config of the weapons to stick to the anim duration. But this duration cannot be too short as it must be an average of all riffles reloading time (because the same anim is shared by all riffles), not only SMLE one with professionnal soldiers...i'm not sure it is as easy as it may seem to reload a weapon under heavy fires...

@ all : About static MG inaccuracy (which you may have noticed by installing bug fix 1_3), i'd like to change the tanks / armored cars machineguns config to be as inaccurate as the static ones (i could modify the sounds / rate of fire the same way). What do you think ?

Ok, couldn't help myself from changing armored vehicles & tanks weapons accuracy. They could shoot so easily planes and other vehicles...

So i modified their weapons the same way i modified the static weapons...I think it is much more realistic.

See updated mini bug fix 1_4 on the first page.

The easy way to make a soldier fear getting shot by the enemy is to make sure he understands that in the front, a possible death awaits him, but in the back, a certain death awaits him.

Oh well, I guess that's enough Stalin for the day. I edited the anims a bit, and couldn't help myself but made a new standing anim too (the holding at hip might work for reloading a MG, but I can't see why would one do that with a bolt action), and now all the reload anims are, in OFPAnim time, 4,5 seconds. And using the edited Anim.pbo again, it seemed to match the actual reloading time pretty well! Not when just tapping LMB to see if there's a delay, and certainly not when you have to seek the target into your ironsights.

So, the question remains, whether I should send the .rtm files to you ProfT so you may take a look at 'em first and maybe incorporate them into the config, or should I simply release the edited Anim.pbo? (Gotta ask Sanctuary about that, though, as I put the anims into his "patrol" pack, not a regular BIS one)

And yeah, I did not model the anim after any of the rifles of the mod in mind, in OFPAnim I had the old good Vz.58 and I just thought of a pretty generic bolt action rifle when I made the anim. So it's actually offset from every rifle in the mod as far as I know, a bit like the reloadmagazine anims always are.

And as for the MP18, it isn't the most common weapon of the war really, and to make it look perfect, you'd have to make a new reload anim for it too tounge2.gif

I decieded to use the mud texture which is used on the trenches that come with the ww1 mod in order to make them merge a bit better, heres a picture of a tank wreck I was working on this morning, I've retextured it to make it seem more battered, I still need to add LOD's and fix a few little issues but it should look nice once it's done.

The animations look really nice Im just downloading them now, should look good in game smile_o.gif, also on a side note mediafire.com is a really good site for uploading small files, though they are removed after a month if no one downloads them, they are easy to upload + no limits on downloads like rapidshare which has a whole host of issues.

pic3mz9.jpg

Maybe somebody should make an permanent link ? You know, I dont want to bump this thread 1 year later and ask for link rofl.gif

Great support, great work. As an old Tankie (not WW1 old), I like the look of that tank wreck. The more litter in no-man's-land the better I say...

Love the new MG ROF and anims.

Still waiting for a 6 pounder Father biggrin_o.gif

Picture

First, thank you Prof for the mod.

Where is the anim.pbo supposed to go? In the main DTA directory (replacing the original anim.pbo) or somewhere in the mod directory as an alternative to the standard?

Thanks in advance.

And what about creating new cfgMoves set in addon config?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class cfgMvReload1:cfgMovesMC

{

class StatesExt

{

class Default{};

class CombatReloadMagazine:Default

{

preload=1;

actions="CombatActions";

file="\lib_modanims\ptr\Lib_snabij.rtm";

speed="- 2.4";

looped=0;

disableWeapons=1;

soundEnabled=0;

interpolateTo[]={"CombatDying",0.1,"CombatDyingVer2",0.1};

};

class CrouchReloadMagazine:Default

{

preload=1;

actions="CrouchActions";

file="\lib_modanims\ptr\Lib_kleknabij.rtm";

speed="- 2.4";

looped=0;

disableWeapons=1;

soundEnabled=0;

visibleSize=0.6;

aimPrecision=0.5;

recoilSuffix="halffixed";

connectFrom[]={"Crouch",1};

connectTo[]={"Crouch",1};

interpolateTo[]={"CrouchDying",0.1,"CrouchDyingVer2",0.1};

};

class Lying:Default{};

class LyingNoAim:Lying{};

class LyingReloadMagazine:LyingNoAim

{

preload=1;

actions="LyingActions";

file="\lib_modanims\ptr\Lib_plizeninabij.rtm";

speed=-2.4000001;

disableWeapons=1;

looped=0;

interpolateTo[]={"LyingDying",1};

};

};

};

and then in soldier entry add

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">moves="cfgMvReload1";

Also I thought, if it's possible to add gamelogic which automatically rearm player group. Probably, it would make it more mp friendly (just suppose)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class PGM_Reammo: Logic

{

scope = public;

vehicleClass = "PGM Logic";

displayName = "Ammo Bug Fix (SP/MP only)";

class eventhandlers

{

init = "{[_x] exec {\PGM_SCRIPTS\reammo.sqs}} foreach units group player"

};

};

Finally, I made small mission using WWI mod smile_o.gif When I was making it, I spotted small issue concerning grenades. Somehow, when mission is pbo'ed, grenades disappears making some quite difficult.Though, I haven't checked if adding throw weapon again solve it.

http://w39.armacenter.pl/reyhard/slaughterhouse-five.rar

Cheers

The latest fix and new anims improve the mod greatly.

I am currently making a mission about a diversionary attack at Hooge during Loos (focusing on U Company 'Student Soldiers' of 1/4th Gordons) and I have noticed some things that could be improved and/or added.

- Make the appearance of blacks rarer in the regular armies. Not sure there were many ethnic minorities serving in the Scottish Regiments. tounge2.gif

- Add another MG position in the North trench system that roughly faces out towards the destroyed buildings. When you move out towards that trench from the southern one there is an MG position to the right. However Its field of fire is subdued because it is facing a rise in the ground making it not so deadly.

- A Bagpiper like you had in the Napoleonic pack if it's not too much trouble.

I would appreciate any help with some of these questions:

How exactly do I use the gas? I want it to land on top of the enemy trench following an artillery bombardment.

Has anyone got any WW1 combat ambience or links to? I am currently using the standard BIS one and it has gotten irritating hearing automatic fire all the time.

I also came across this nice little script for MG's. It makes them fire in a general area and if the gunner dies a soldier from a specially selected squad will run up and take his place.

Link

There was also another script like this called D-Day Machine Guns but I can't seem to find it.

There is also this nice little minefield script.

Minefield script

Some basic artillery barrage scripts can be found there as well.

Note:

You should post up any missions you have. Even if their just small and non PBO'd.

-snafu-: The cannons didn't like the gas for me, so I've used it simply by adding the script to the attacking units directly, usually an officer and maybe a few NCO:s. That way, when they get close to the line, they fire at the enemy, and bang, the yellow stuff appears. Doesn't look that bad really if there's also artillery firing at the target.

And as for the black thingy, agree. I think CWMOD made it so that 'regular' regiments didn't have blacks at all, but black regiments did, as it was in reality that time. Don't know if these existed in WW1 though, I'd figure that blacks would be mostly serving as chefs and similar non-fighting units. But that's just what I'd expect from that era, I'll see if I can find any real information on it.

POPKA: Looks great! Gotta agree with tankie, the more rubble the better! I was wondering, there was this addon released some time ago, which had Vietnam era US soldiers' corpses as they would look after some smalltalk with a grenade, I recall there was at least one with his legs off. Just thought that a couple of WW1 versions of those would really look nice (if corpses can ever look nice, that is) in No Man's Land. Just like the craters, tank wrecks and stuff.