Sign in to follow this  
punderland

The rainbow six covering system

I think the R6Vages has a successful system of taking cover. They can stick with the obsticles and hence reducing the contact surface area with the enemies' fire. It is certainlty better than lean out and it is more reallistic. So I think it is better to add the cover system of R6Vages. And this can greatly increase the surviving percentage of soilders. pistols.gif

It would be more if they, the AI, finally would understand on their own that they can take better cover inside house than outside house. Really, there is no need to crawl out of door to hide in closest bush when lead starts flying. Overall they could finally understand that buildings in general does work as cover.

dunno i haven't played newest rainbox six (only the first one), but i think this is the first thing tounge2.gif

I think the R6Vages has a successful system of taking cover. They can stick with the obsticles and hence reducing the contact surface area with the enemies' fire. It is certainlty better than lean out and it is more reallistic. So I think it is better to add the cover system of R6Vages. And this can greatly increase the surviving percentage of soilders. pistols.gif

And how they even going to take a system out of another engine and add it to theres and make it work, plus we dont no what there "bis's miro AI" can do. smile_o.gif

I'd like to see the fluid stance from R6 Raven Shield instead. Using 3rd person view is extremely unrealistic and Vegas style cover system would not be useful at all in 1st person view.

I would like to see covering system from GTA 4. IN there you can actually peak a bit over the obsticle to spot your enemies. That would work way better than 3rp person.

933036_20040428_embed004.jpg

Without the "peak" function, the cover system would kind of be useless with first person only.

With peack you could scout where is the cover coming from exposing very little (allmost invisible in arma) part of your body.

Uhm...you can do that already...it's leaning.

Uhm...you can do that already...it's leaning.

made my day!

IF you actually need a a system that will stick your character to a wall or alike, your game has problems. So before suggestion anything like that, note that arma is meant to be 1st person shooter, and 3rd is always disabled on tactical and tourney servers.

What i do miss is my avatar lowering the gun then really near an object. You can get stuck way to often in between two buildings because the gun will not fit. Other that that, i see no point of using gimmicks just for the sake of the GTA and console players

If what we can see in the picture posted by Bushmonkey is called leaning then how do you call the "nose to the wall - weapon between your legs - bending sideways" that we can do in arma?

In my opinion, this picture is showing the most realistic way to peek while in cover. Its a modified mix of r6vegas cover and lean. There might be something to learn here...

Cheers

It doesn't look too different from what we can already to in Arma. Though I would like to see the AI be able to do that, but I'm against putting in a cover system for the player.

After playing countless hours of vegas 1 and 2 online I would much rather be able to lean and take a potshot. Trust me you maintain mobility while peaking and you expose yourself a tad bit less thumbs-up.gif

I do agree that ArmA needs a proper "peek around the corner" move. When just "leaning" around the corner one exposes very much body, while all that needs to be sticking out is so much of your head you can look around the corner, pretty much like in the GTA4-picture. What is shown there isn't far from the 'proper' way to look around corner that is educated within the military.

Sum of it all: There should be two ways to lean. One with weapon raised to actually shoot around the corner, and one with the weapon pointing to the ground, only sticking the head out around the corner with the sole purpose to only take a look.

I do agree that ArmA needs a proper "peek around the corner" move. When just "leaning" around the corner one exposes very much body, while all that needs to be sticking out is so much of your head you can look around the corner, pretty much like in the GTA4-picture. What is shown there isn't far from the 'proper' way to look around corner that is educated within the military.

Sum of it all: There should be two ways to lean. One with weapon raised to actually shoot around the corner, and one with the weapon pointing to the ground, only sticking the head out around the corner with the sole purpose to only take a look.

Well, since Arma already let's you lower your weapon, it shouldn't be difficult to impletment that in Arma 2.

I just don't want a GTAIV cover systemn, where you stick to walls or objects. I found it very clunky and limiting. More often then not it would end up getting me killed.

I don't say we should have a GTA4 cover system. I say that ArmA should let you lean around corners like on the picture, so you can look around a corner without exposing half your body and your whole arm, which usually means you get shot.

I don't say we should have a GTA4 cover system. I say that ArmA should let you lean around corners like on the picture, so you can look around a corner without exposing half your body and your whole arm, which usually means you get shot.

Tried lowering your weapon before leaning around the corner? I cant say i usually do it as i dont look long enough around a corner for it to actually make a difference, but it does stop your arms from being an easy target.

Tried lowering your weapon before leaning around the corner? I cant say i usually do it as i dont look long enough around a  corner for it to actually make a difference, but it does stop your arms from being an easy target.

i would like to see the system automaticly lower the weapon when facing walls, objects, etc

but that might get problem when there is fence, low walls and such

i think they should concentrate on making the current system a bit smoother, in ARMA it's pretty hard to maneuver near objects and you often end up overshooting a corner (i expect the console version to allow fully analogue movement). snapping to cover is often more of a hindrance than a helpful feature (gears of war was horrible in MP because people would just stand just out of a corner and snipe the bits poking out), maybe characters could somehow be intelligent and adjust their position a bit when near cover but that would be hard to implement.