Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Trains in Arma2?

I've compiled a bunch of images I've spotted on Arma2 news sites:

75992807ee1.jpg

Small Youtube Video

Seems odd to add a lot of 3D tracks & terrain/road/building modification & additions for only visual appeal. Well... perhaps, it IS a shipyard. However, the video shows a vast network hub of tracks, perhaps even a station according to the video. Sorry if repost: I did not catch it in search.

The old poseidon engine demo also had railroads, though that didnt mean there were any trains. wink_o.gif

I hope they will change their mind and finally at least allow it mission designers to add trains.

It would be a shame to have tracks but no trains....

Regards, Christian

The problem of trains might be that you cannot currently stand on moving vehicles, which defeats the purpose of enterable wagons (it's no like a car or small truck, where you can't really move around).

We might have static trains though... That could still represent a worthy addition as an objective for instance.

Hmm right... or trains maybe not enterable at all....

Or why not just "only" be able to sit in them like in cars? That should be possible... wink_o.gif

It's a while ago when BIS stated that the tracks are merely visual and serve no purpose.

Even though I hope they changed their mind wink_o.gif

It's a while ago when BIS stated that the tracks serve no purpose.

I am sure in MP we will see lots of people running on them pretending to be train......

Tuuutttt tuuut on the VOIP.

rofl.gif

Except it won't be really realistic when the "train" gets run over at the railway crossing by a car rofl.gif.

We will consider that an unrealistic feature of the game than xmas_o.gif

Where did you read that it is only for visual appeal? I must have completely missed it as I tend to read most Arma2 news. smile_o.gif

I think that it would look a bit odd all that track and not a train in sight! huh.gif

I see no real point in even having a train. Why make all this fuss about it? huh.gif

IMO it would be a waste of development time confused_o.gif

I'd rather see a fully functional aircraft carrier smile_o.gif

It makes sense that the tracks are there to add to the environment. Would a real train even be used if there was a war going on? Because if the tracks go through or even near enemy territory, then the train wont have much chance of reaching the next station tounge2.gif

Only having train tracks is the basis for the discussion. So there's bound to be some fuss. And if its just for scenery purposes, it'll probably inspire some mod makers like those who made the train for OFP. Fun stuff wink_o.gif

I guess trains were used in WW2 by Russia to get men to the front line quicker.. in a 400sq km environment I'm sure it helps smile_o.gif

Trains were used, bombed and sabotaged extensively during WW2. They are means of transportation, supply and communication. It may not have been the case later on, thanks to better air transport, but mostly because after ww2, most of the conflicts took place in developping countries without much of railroad infrastructures. I'd love to have trains, even though not enterable, at least as a target/objective for missions.

Nah what i've heard earlier from Bis is that they are merely visual bling.

But i hope some modders will do it smile_o.gif They could work like cars maybe with just using them as vehicles to transport soldiers and weapons or could be cool to have them transport cars, and tanks and such.

Imo i dun think Bi got the time to do it, but I think train tracks add alot of extra atmosphere into the landscape at least. smile_o.gif

Nah what i've heard earlier from Bis is that they are merely visual bling.

But i hope some modders will do it  smile_o.gif They could work like cars maybe with just using them as vehicles to transport soldiers and weapons or could be cool to have them transport cars, and tanks and such.

Imo i dun think Bi got the time to do it, but I think train tracks add alot of extra atmosphere into the landscape at least.  smile_o.gif

Ok, but then i hope they build-in a function so the modders can program it so they only drive on the tracks and nowhere else....

even if the train-tracks are there for visual purposes only it adds a lot to the game imo. one problem of sahrani is that the infrastructure is completely unrealistic. i had this idea of making a mission for the mig-15 addon where you had to bomb the racs supply flow, only to realize that south sahrani does not have a real sea-port.

there is simply no port that belongs to south sahrani which is big enough for cargo-ships to enter. and even the biggest port in corasol belonging to the north is quite small, you can barely place the "isolda" cargo vessel by sigma6 in it. so how do these sahrani dudes get their supplies? how do the south sahranians sell there oil? not very well thought out imo...

by seeing more realistic infrasturcture, even if you cannot use it, the immersion into the game world will be better imo.

Im sure there will be static railroad cars/trucks maybe even a static engine, who knows.. but as it stands im sure its just for show.

The problem of trains might be that you cannot currently stand on moving vehicles, which defeats the purpose of enterable wagons (it's no like a car or small truck, where you can't really move around).

We might have static trains though... That could still represent a worthy addition as an objective for instance.

This is a simple engine limitation and I'm sure it will be fixed with ArmA 2. Wasn't there a Ship with soldiers standing on it in the teaser? I bet that wasn't just for the atmosphere.

Further the tracks need quite some time to be made and placed. With so few members BIS has, I'm sure they won't organize their ressoures at this stage of development for atmospheric stuff.

Further ArmA 1 showed that is wasn't really innovational. So BIS needs to come up with new things. A train could be one of them.

Well please dont make this into a Train Tycoon Sim. First person Train Driving?

From living there, i know the japanese will love that tounge2.gif

This is a simple engine limitation and I'm sure it will be fixed with ArmA 2. Wasn't there a Ship with soldiers standing on it in the teaser? I bet that wasn't just for the atmosphere.

Further the tracks need quite some time to be made and placed. With so few members BIS has, I'm sure they won't organize their ressoures at this stage of development for atmospheric stuff.

Further ArmA 1 showed that is wasn't really innovational. So BIS needs to come up with new things. A train could be one of them.

Dont count on it.

I can't remember names, but someone did make an island with workable trains for OFP.

I tried the demo many years back..it had potential, but I do not remember it ever getting finished completely.

I can't remember names, but someone did make an island with workable trains for OFP.

I tried the demo many years back..it had potential, but I do not remember it ever getting finished completely.

Yes i also can remember this Island wasn´t i done by some german guys from the AEF forum or something like that?

I think just having the tracks is good atmosphere. Train junctions and terminals make good objectives, i mean even a few static engines and the odd container would be even better just sitting in a depot etc.

I mean apart from having a good laugh in MP in the train, i cant see much value in a fully workable system.