Sign in to follow this  
xawery

European-themed island?

Hi all,

I'm looking for an ArmA island with a more Central European/Scandinavian feel to it. I'm not a big fan of all those banana republic themes...

My question is thus: are there any islands like that? I know about Schmalfelden of course, but its beauty also makes it nigh unplayable on my pc... I'm looking for something with a size/level of detail comparable to North Sahrani. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Regards,

Xawery

I know about Schmalfelden of course
Do you know Schmalfelden. It´s a German Map from Nicholas Bell

LOL I think he does.

I know about Schmalfelden of course
Do you know Schmalfelden. It´s a German Map from Nicholas Bell

LOL I think he does.

Ups thx Opteryx, not finished reading  rofl.gif

Hehe, indeed, as Opteryx pointed out, I do. But as has been said, it's too laggy for the type of mission I have in mind. So, are there any other islands you would recommend? I'm really growing tired of the vacation resorts turned war zones...

Yanutha and Sarve 1.3 are the best choice for now.

Tooting into the same horn I posted a message in the 1.1 feedback thread, kindly asking BIS to release a standalone version of North Sahrani as they did with South Sahrani. I guess this alone would raise performance alot as it did wonders to the South aswell.

I´m not aware of a standalone North done by a modder, but please correct me if I´m wrong. I think having the north as a standalone done by BIS and published with a possible patch would be the best solution to keep the versions unified and make it easier for editors to produce missions on that part of the island.

What about the ACE CWC Islands Pack, where you can choose the texture yourself...

I have used them in missions for european themes, from woodland to snow warfare...

I can recommend them as a alternative to the others the community mentioned...

The ACE CWC island pack is nice, but it's still of OFP quality - small, few objects, homogenous terrain. A standalone version of North Sahrani would certainly be nice, I don't know why they didn't do it once South Sahrani was introduced.

However, I would be most interested in an island not only with European terrain, but also European city/landmark names. I don't know, the Spanish theme really doesn't do it for me. I have always associated OFP/ArmA with a cold, rainy, desolate setting. In short: autumn in Eastern Europe smile_o.gif Having revolutionary billboards in every town and umbrellas on the beach really kills the immersion for me.

I'll give Yanutha and Sarve a whirl, thanks!

Placing some add vegetation, using the Authumn plants addon, should give it the most european style.

You can see the effect on some of the BW-mod vids. I think they used the authum plants on schmalfelden, but it should also be useable on every other island (I have not tested this yet).

BR,

mike

:edit: Ups.. sorry, but there is also a replacement available: Plants replacement

Hey, great find modEmMaik! Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Yanutha and Sarve look very nice, but are too small for my purposes. North Sahrani looks amazing with these trees smile_o.gif

Thanks again!