Sign in to follow this  
Niftyeye

Question on the M16

Hey sorry for the noob question, Iv had arma for a long time but just always wondering this:

What is the difference between the M16A2 and A4? I have asked and heard it asked many times on servers but no one really gave a concrete answer, just wondering if anyone knew.

Sorry for the question *prepares for flame when entering server* but just a little thing that Iv always wondered.

I think the M16A4 is very similar to the A2 but with a Picatinny rail so it can have laser attachments, torches, hand grips and other gadgets fitted.

The only aspects that really make any difference in ArmA are the type of scope/sight used and the fire modes available.

it's the exact same weapon, with a pic. rail handgrip, and a removable carry-handle, so one can mount various optics, ie, CCO, and ACOG, without having to mount it directly on the carrying handle, or using a goose-neck. same weapon as the a2, just slightly heavier, with no different in fire modes.

Ingame the M4 has less effective range, and is a weaker weapon when compared with the M16 which is more accurate over range and has stronger stopping power.

That wasn't quite the question that was asked though smile_o.gif

M16A2 vs. M16A4, not M4.

I think that the M16A4 a somewhat faster fire rate, but I could be wrong.

Correct. The M16A4 is used by the US Marines and some US Army units, replaces the combination fixed carry handle/rear iron sight with a picatinny rail, allowing for the rifle to be equipped with a carry handle and/or most military and consumer scopes or sighting systems. Most of the US Marine Corps' M16A4s are equipped with a M5 RAS handguard, allowing vertical grips, lasers, tactical lights, and other accessories to be attached. The M16A4 has a faster rate of fire than the M16A2, as Benoist said earlier.

Correct. The M16A4 is used by the US Marines and some US Army units, replaces the combination fixed carry handle/rear iron sight with a picatinny rail, allowing for the rifle to be equipped with a carry handle and/or most military and consumer scopes or sighting systems. Most of the US Marine Corps' M16A4s are equipped with a M5 RAS handguard, allowing vertical grips, lasers, tactical lights, and other accessories to be attached. The M16A4 has a faster rate of fire than the M16A2, as Benoist said earlier.

Or looking on Wikipedia would have answered the question, as you can see by USMCNEEDER's regurgitated text:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle#M16A4

M16A4 has full auto mode IIRC, and of course the rail system. Other than that, same weapon.

M16A4 has full auto mode IIRC

Not true, it's the A1 and A3 that have semi and automatic firing modes. Both the A2 and A4 are semi and 3rd-burst only.