Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios : Reloaded

I was wondering what happened to your website.  Glad you sorted it out.   The updates are excellent, looking forward to their release! smile_o.gif

nice too see everything is fixed now! and is the c-130 still on your list? any plans on it in the future? how far along is it?

nice too see everything is fixed now! and is the c-130 still on your list? any plans on it in the future? how far along is it?

The C130 is still on the list but on low-priority. At this moment the Cargo system does not have all the features created that is needed to have a functional C130.

I hope we can entertain you with the other addons that we release in the next months.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Yes the C-130 is still a live project.  In fact I spent 2 hours on it today.  Optimising the mesh so it has less polys and is easier to unwrap and texture.

As for how far along?  I really don't know because its been a very difficult addon to do.  I think i've rebuilt it at least 10 times in recent years.  And it really is years.  The problem is that to get the model up to a level I am happy with requires a lot of polys (Its still less than 13k) but the more I work with the models that more detail I find that i think would enhance they player's experience when using it.  That detail comes with a poly count which i have to balance with performance.  Which means i need to shave as many unnecessary faces as i can from somewhere else to maintain the performance.

And of course the more i play around trying to get this balance right the more i learn which prompts me to rework other areas.  Its a bit of a vicious circle really.

Now you could argue that all I'm doing is wasting time etc constantly reworking the models.  But I don't see it like that.  I'm enjoying myself and even if i was to finish and release tomorrow.  I would know it wasn't quite right and I could do better.

Having said all this.... i'm now at a stage where i can see light at the end of my tunnel and its Hercules shaped.

tounge2.gif

Long and slightly rambling answer but there you have it.

Yes the C-130 is still a live project.  In fact I spent 2 hours on it today.  Optimising the mesh so it has less polys and is easier to unwrap and texture.

As for how far along?  I really don't know because its been a very difficult addon to do.  I think i've rebuilt it at least 10 times in recent years.  And it really is years.  The problem is that to get the model up to a level I am happy with requires a lot of polys (Its still less than 13k) but the more I work with the models that more detail I find that i think would enhance they player's experience when using it.  That detail comes with a poly count which i have to balance with performance.  Which means i need to shave as many unnecessary faces as i can from somewhere else to maintain the performance.

And of course the more i play around trying to get this balance right the more i learn which prompts me to rework other areas.  Its a bit of a vicious circle really.

Now you could argue that all I'm doing is wasting time etc constantly reworking the models.  But I don't see it like that.  I'm enjoying myself and even if i was to finish and release tomorrow.  I would know it wasn't quite right and I could do better.

Having said all this.... i'm now at a stage where i can see light at the end of my tunnel and its Hercules shaped.

tounge2.gif

Long and slightly rambling answer but there you have it.

Yeah, And I see a "grey" shaped hercules at the end of the tunnel which needs to be textured tounge2.gif

The C130 is still on the list but on low-priority. At this moment the Cargo system does not have all the features created that is needed to have a functional C130.

I hope we can entertain you with the other addons that we release in the next months.

sure im gonna be entertained for a long while! i have always supported RKSL, as you guys work hard to try an provide the community with wonderful toys! lol keep up the good work fellas! biggrin_o.gif

p.s. and rock! dont worry buddy, the more time you spend on it the better it will get! and i will be paitently waiting smile_o.gif

beyond toys.....

Thanks RKSL team for always sharing your knowledge.

If it was not for RockofSL there would not have been a project RACS. he tought me to write the first aircraft config for the etendard and trouble shoot it. He was always quick to answer my questions and I always enjoyed our cheeky arguments smile_o.gif

i hate to admit it he he was almost always right.........

whole team is a true asset to the comunity when it seems like alot of fellas cannot get along.

Keep up the work rock. Your "Tinkering" and then sharing tips and tricks learned helps everyone.

The carrier looks damn fine so far, and those Exocets look meaty. Excellent work.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Important Notice...RKSL Studios pause Public Modding

UKF have recently stopped public modding for various reasons. Well RKSL may also stop public releases too, but for a different cause. A situation has arisen that will prevent us from releasing any more models.

It seems someone has MLODing (converted to an editable format) our Lynx and Puma Helicopter models handing them out to anyone and everyone. I know who that was. To go further than that someone, I don't know if its the same person, has then been selling our models on various 3D model sites making a profit from our work.

This presents a problem because the models used by RKSL are nearly all made by me for commercial ie Non ArmA or VBS2 purposes. In 95% of the models I am contractually obliged not to make the editable formats available for public use. Now, while it wasn't me that tried to sell the 3DS and Maya versions of the models I would still legally be liable since I chose to use derivatives of these models for public ArmA addons. As such we can no longer use the models I had planned to use for ArmA/ArmA2.

I make part of my living making 3D models for simulations and I cant afford to jeopardise my business if people in the ArmA community are going to exploit my goodwill. The current situation in the community is not one I particularly like. Its been going on for years but the theft of my IP isn't something neither I or my business can tolerate.

What happens now?

Internally for RKSL; business as usual. After discussions with both UNN and VXR we will release updates for the currently released Lynx and Puma addons. And we will release new versions of the cargo system and a new addon that applies the RKSL Flare system to all BIS and ACE aircraft.

After the next updates I'm not sure. We wont be releasing any new models soon. I don't know if that will change in future. A lot depends on which direction the community heads. We will continue to make addons for our own enjoyment and that of our trusted friends. We may even switch to the VBS2 community. All this has happened so quickly we're still undecided.

I suppose the best way to think of this is an "operational pause". We are going to sit on the sidelines for a while to see what, if anything changes in the community's attitude. We are watching, with great interest a new Community led project suggested by Foxhound, I44_John and Deadeye to ensure that theft isn't swept under the carpet as it has been in the past.

I just want to say that I am genuinely sorry to disappoint anyone. I know it may sound petty to some, or what has happened is just the risk you take making addons. But I cannot jeopardise the business that pays my mortgage.

You can read the full story on the RKSL Website

Please keep any discussion to the RKSL Forums too.

Regardless of what happens next I'd like to say a big thank you to:

• UNN and VXR - best team mates and friends you can find.
  • Foxhound and the ArmAholic guys - especially Foxhound for paying for such a great community resource out of his own pocket.
  • PUKF guys - Chris, Dan/Messiah, Jeff and all the others.
  • Dkraver - never to be confused with Frandsen - for all the vocal support.
  • Everyone who posted, emailed and shouted support.

There are so many others that I just cant name. Again I am so very sorry its come to this.

All the best

Rock

22 April 2009

Damn it I had a feeling this may happen. Truly devastating news. And yet another example of some a%$hole stealing work and driving a top notch team to withdraw any more new releases.

I'm tired of hearing this garbage. The people who are responsible for RKSL and P:UKF making this decision need to be hung. These thieves and cowards need to be dealt with. I wish there was something I could do.

A damn shame this community needs to deal with this non-sense. F&^K All Thieves!

Please accept my thanks for all your contributions to my toybox collection over the years.

I'm very sorry to hear that your kind efforts have backfired.

all the best mate.... cant say im not disgusted with what the other people have done!

All that can be said is again a HUGH thankyou to the fucking cunts that are ruining this community by ripping other peoples work!

Sorry to see another great team go! Your great work will be missed guys......

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

As I'm sure you're well aware Rock, you have my full support in this matter. I'll echo the sentiments you posted in your Blog and return the thanks you posted.

Strange how its the same names popping up when stuff is getting stolen and ripped off these days.

It is really a shame that the persons you've named has done things beyond the extent of our "gaming" community and actually hurt you and your professional life where you make your living.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to support you in this matter.

chin up..

Sorry to hear that, Rock.

You know, that's the great thing about creating open source software. No-one can steal what you have already given for free. But then again, the business model of open source companies is an entirely different one and cannot really be applied to 3D modelling.

All the best!

all i can say is this is takeing the P its not on the peeps at RKSL Studios do a top job the work you lads have put in OFP and Arma is the tops i wos look forwud to the work on Arma 2 now we may not see it cuz of one noob who thinks he can do wot he likes just not on

Good luck with the business and any other projects you start, Rock. Not much to say, really. It's pretty obvious how we all feel, although none more keenly than you.

There are times a little bit of vigilantism wouldn't go amiss.

BIS have possibly lost two of the most talented mod teams through their stubbornness, and more may follow. If some sort of initiative was agreed upon, though... I won't go further. Too bad we can't even discuss it but I must respect the rules.

I just want to say thanks Rock for all the help you have given me.

Its a real shame that some good mod teams have by the wayside recently.

I just want to reiterate there would have been NO project RACS without your help.

I hope these guys get their illlegal asses kicked in a even more legal way... thats pirating in its lowest (life)form...

Lets do a community prayer that those :coop:thieves get a second ahole and another one ripped and also send some goodvibes to RKSL. :mwah:

Edited by PhilippRauch

The modding community (the console lovers excluded) is the best of all communities and i hope that such a great studio like RKSL wont let the majority behind because 1 individual f**** it up!

Isnt there a way to protect your work?

Aaauugh! Et tu RockofSL? D:

I can understand why though (Forgive my above melodrama), and I truly hope you resolve the situation soon.