Sign in to follow this  
Alloy007p

Normal mapping

I have just started makeing a model for arma and although I am not new to addon makeing, I have not been sucsesfull in the past but am determined to get it right this time.

Anyways haveing found out about normal mapping I have a few questions about it.

1. Should normal mapping be done in O2 or another program. If Another program what should I use, currently I am useing blender which can do normal mapping, would that work?

2. Normal mapping is more or less for small details, right? How much should I use normal mapping for details?

3. Anything else I should know about normal mapping?

4. Anything else in general I should know about creating models for arma?

Thanks for any replys

Since CrazyBump now only haves an expiring version ... I'm using this.

Now many if any options, but it works.

ATI NormalMapGenerator

Another program is here; http://www.shadermap.renderingsystems.com/

- All I do (and I am definitely not an good artist) is take the finished main Texture and run it through the NormalMapGenerator

- This gives you a TGA file

- I then manually edit that graphic to remove any "transitions" that are not required

- To remove transitions simple paint the background colour over the top.

- I add transitions where there is none but is required by copying sections elsewhere in the graphic an pasting

- One typical transition you will need to remove is where two different paint colours meet (ie camo paint scheme)

- I then put the TGA through TexView2 and use the PAA

- Add a RVMAT material file and it should even be visible in o2 / Buldozer

I jsut found a plugin for GIMP to make normal maps http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki....he_GIMP and was able to get it to work> I tried the Shader map and didn't realy know what I was doing but got it to work, well sort of. I tried useing it on a brick wall texture http://www.3dmd.net/gallery....jpg-but instead of the bricks sticking out of the wall the were sunk in.

Useing shadermap how exactly do you run it through it? Right now I have a batch file that looks like this<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">REM Convert diffuse map (cdiff) to displacement, normal, and specular

REM * parameters are default -v is verbose

START /WAIT ..\shadermap.exe cdiff "media\BRICK.jpg" -disp (*,*,*,*) -norm (*,*) -spec (10,*,*) -v

REM Show a 3D Preview of the maps just created

START /WAIT ..\shadermap.exe 3dprv -diff ("media\BRICK.jpg") -norm ("media\BRICK_NORM.tga") -spec ("media\diffmap_1_SPEC.bmp") -disp ("media\BRICK_DISP.bmp") -v

But everytime I run the batchfile(after I edit the tga) theres no change, and the tga is back to the same state it was before, I am obviously doing something wrong here, do I need to change something in the batch file?

EDIT

Never mind I just figureed out I had to take out the top part of of the batch file.

Is one better than the other, specifically for arma or is it just a matter of prefrence?