Sign in to follow this  
acadiancrusader

Atari is dead and killing BI

zero customer support. securom crap. can't get QG unless you buy the so-called 'gold' edition (still completely unavailable via steam).

speaking of steam, 1.14 is STILL not available. wtf?!?!

well BI, i hope you learned your lesson. for the sake of your north-american customers, never deal with them again. they publish your product, take a good cut of the profits and do absolutely nothing for the customer. nothing at all.

if you are going to sell the game, or any future games in NA, please deal directly with steam.

when i was younger, i had no issues with troubleshooting hours upon hours to get my games to function. well, i'm older, and i have far too many responsibilities in my life to do this. when i buy a game, especially when i buy it twice, i expect to have it relatively functional. and when it's not, i expect the solutions to be very simple. and since that is not the case here, i won't be playing. and that makes me very unhappy.

heck, i even bought a trackIR just so i could enjoy this game even more.

i guess i'll have to do what most grownups do here, play some lazy and mildly entertaining mmo to just to remotely satisfy my pixelated desires.

I sympathize with you really. Ive not been happy with Atari for a few years now, mainly do to securom problems. However I think the biggest mistake was Steam. I got mine from Direct 2 Drive and have never had a problem, besides for only being allowed to install it 2 times but a quick email and a few hours later they issued me the permanent unlock key. It can be burned to dvd, and patched with normal updates.

Now they don't have QG but if I want it I can order it, so far though I have'nt seen any real reason to spend the money for it.

just so you know, when i'm talking about steam... it's all atari. atari is responsible for the game on steam. steam works beautifully, but atari is completely ignoring it. they don't even issue ANY statements in their own forums.

I know about atari and steam but Ive seen a lot of ppl have issues with other games on steam. especially the fact that most need a special patch when updates are made. the D2D version however is the exact same thing as the CD or DVD and can be patched and update as such.

i've used Steam for a couple of games this year and although it works ok, I DO NOT like the fact that you have no choice where to install a Steam game...they all have to be installed directly into the steam directory itself, which for me really sucks. It makes game file editing more complicated, backing up more complicated as well as complicating storage management...therefore Ive completely stopped purchasing from Steam as it wasnt worth the loss of personal software management preferences.

Atari has done a pretty good job keeping ArmA:Gold in stores.

i've used Steam for a couple of games this year and although it works ok, I DO NOT like the fact that you have no choice where to install a Steam game...they all have to be installed directly into the steam directory itself, which for me really sucks. It makes game file editing more complicated, backing up more complicated as well as complicating storage management...therefore Ive completely stopped purchasing from Steam as it wasnt worth the loss of personal software management preferences.

I use another HDD for my steam, and games. Except for the games that have to go on the "C" partition.

It could not be more simple. Though i do install Steam on my C, my Steam catalog/games are on another HDD that can go into any comp that will recognize my HDD. And to tweak a steam DL'd game i just set up a short cut to the folder of the game.

If you manage to get 1.14 going, your securerom problem will cease to exist. The new patches run on the internal copyright protection only, in my experience.

Yes, Atari has ArmA:Gold on the shelves.

I bought ArmA when it was first released. I have not been able to find Queen's Gambit for sell in a retail store.

I do not want to buy ArmA:Gold. Already have ArmA, just need the QG expansion.

In another post I said I finally broke down and went to Walmart to buy the gold versions just to get the QG stuff. One for me and one for my son. $40 each.

I did not want to ruin our perfectly running 1.14 versions so I thought you could just install the QG stuff. Nope. There is no setup.exe or anything just for QG. So I just copied over the QG directories and files. Unzipped where appropriate. Changed my icon addon mod path and now all is well. No codes or anything needed.

I like Steam, but Atari/BI need to really to get this up and running like it should.

I live in America and had absolutely no problems getting any of Bohemia's products. My local WalMart carried the original ArmA, Queens Gambit, and the Gold Edition. I simply downloaded Queens Gambit from Sprocket without any problems what so ever. You're not limited to Steam, just put out a little more effort and I'm sure you will find that it's very easy to get exactly what you want. I play with quite a few Americans on a regular basis and none of them had any problems getting anything from Bohemia. There are plenty of options out there.

I got it from Morphicon (I think - not 100% sure of the name. I'm also in the US.) If you can wait a few hours, I'll go home from work and look up the link. I even got a better price for QG than elsewhere (at that time.) (Which was good, considering how poor I think QG turned out to be. mad_o.gif )

i don't use credit cards and sprokets wouldn't accept my paypal. and again, since i bought it on steam, i fully expect that the version that i freekin' paid for would be supported (both patch updates and expansions)

i don't use credit cards and sprokets wouldn't accept my paypal. and again, since i bought it on steam, i fully expect that the version that i freekin' paid for would be supported (both patch updates and expansions)

Yeah, my roommate has had the same problems that you had with Steam.

Umm, as far as no credit card, you could try something like Visa Buxx. It's a pre-paid credit card option. I know Bank of America has another kind of pre-paid credit card available, and most any bank will have a Visa Check Card option as well. To be honest, if you expect to function on the Internet at all (or the modern world in general), you're gonna need a credit card at some point. smile_o.gif There's plenty of options available. Someone with the attitude of "I won't use credit cards" needs to accept the fact that a lot of things won't be available to them however.

my brother has a steam version of arma and i just put the patch on his game from a flash drive and it works like a charm..

hahah you got all pissed for nothing.

I wonder why BIS didn't just release the thing on steam on the first place, would have solved all their publisher woes much quicker smile_o.gif I hope they just release ArmA2 on steam, in all countries.

I wonder why BIS didn't just release the thing on steam on the first place, would have solved all their publisher woes much quicker smile_o.gif I hope they just release ArmA2 on steam, in all countries.

They wanted to make their own lesser digital distribution, rather than using the best platform available (Steam).

I certainly hope Sprocket gets discontinued soon.

If buying through sprocket (absolutely rocks, over 10 re-installs, had to email once because of re-used key (3 times reactivated)) and it was instant support.) then make sure you check XE.com and check the exchange rates. What could be expensive, in another currency can be up to 10USD cheaper, I learnt this by buying mine in Euro, it was 9USD cheaper then the Pound pricing, which to my exchange rate was much more expensive. The US was a bit more then the Euro at the time. So its basically a pick your price. rofl.gif

smile_o.gif

gogamer is out of stock

amazon.ca doesn't even carry it (there is no way i'm paying additional fees to have it ordered from the US)

the simple fact is that Atari is screwing over it's customers because they don't reply to anything, they don't update their products that they make available on steam, and they don't offer the expansion (which makes no sense as there is no overhead to produce the expansion on steam)

King-Six, there is no need to be a jerk. the fact is, when someone buys a product that has a updating service attached to it, you expect that service to function. and as far as manually updating the steam version, doesn't work for everybody. some people even report that steam is re-downloading/re-installing the old version as the new one is not supported.

BI, i know technically this is not your problem. but in a sense, it is. the company that you made a deal with is misrepresenting you and your products. they are making you look bad. i hope that you guys are in contact with them on this. it's ridiculous.

If buying through sprocket (absolutely rocks, over 10 re-installs, had to email once because of re-used key (3 times reactivated)) and it was instant support.) then make sure you check XE.com and check the exchange rates. What could be expensive, in another currency can be up to 10USD cheaper, I learnt this by buying mine in Euro, it was 9USD cheaper then the Pound pricing, which to my exchange rate was much more expensive. The US was a bit more then the Euro at the time. So its basically a pick your price.  rofl.gif

smile_o.gif

I could reinstall a billion times without having to contact Valve.

Yeah, my roommate has had the same problems that you had with Steam.

Umm, as far as no credit card, you could try something like Visa Buxx.  It's a pre-paid credit card option.  I know Bank of America has another kind of pre-paid credit card available, and most any bank will have a Visa Check Card option as well.  To be honest, if you expect to function on the Internet at all (or the modern world in general), you're gonna need a credit card at some point. smile_o.gif  There's plenty of options available.  Someone with the attitude of "I won't use credit cards" needs to accept the fact that a lot of things won't be available to them however.

Another option is to use a Debit Card, no interest and if you havent got the funds to pay for stuff you cant.

Have any of you tried EB games? Last time I was there. they had 2 used and 1 new copy on the shelf.

i guess i'll have to do what most grownups do here, play some lazy and mildly entertaining mmo to just to remotely satisfy my pixelated desires.

That statement is so full of lose ;P