Sign in to follow this  
monty67t

Mod Folders

Recently when playing on public servers I see players join the server with ridiculously long command lines. I'm talking about up to ten mod folders loading up. Do people not understand that you can just create one mod folder and put everything in it? Are there negative affects on the server when people using 50 mod folders join in?

No negative effect.

More MF allow better structuring.

Using more MF is good.

Server A allows only addon A.

Server B allows only addon B.

Server C allows addon A and B.

etc

and for that reason, you might want to use a program like Yoma's to start the game, so you can select the mods you want\can use on a server.

I was just going to say: looks like more and more people are starting to use my tool biggrin_o.gif

Only load the game with the addons that are needed to play.

Ive seen people joining with Mod servers which look like this: crazy_o.gif

DBE1;BETA;XYZMod1;Mod2;Mod3;Keys;DTA;Missions;MPMissions;Battleye;Templates

etc etc and its like OMG.. you dont add every folder in your dir.. just the mod folders. lol rofl.gif

Ive seen people joining with Mod servers which look like this:  crazy_o.gif

DBE1;BETA;XYZMod1;Mod2;Mod3;Keys;DTA;Missions;MPMissions;Battleye;Templates

etc etc and its like OMG.. you dont add every folder in your dir.. just the mod folders. lol  rofl.gif

Ok, those are definately NOT using my tool... whistle.gif

But then again, if addon/mod-makers use there very long addon names, it's going to be a mess...

@GMJ_SightAdjustment

@NWD_Ballistics

@NWD_ScopeFix

makes up a nice little line doesn't it...

So if you just throw in:

DBE1;@ECL;@GMJ_SightAdjustment;@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;@ArmAEffects;@XEH;FDF_Sounds

(not taken order in place...)

It's a nice start...

I do use Yoma Tools, but I think even Yoma is stopped at 128 characters on the command line for adding parametres....

I use to have about 10 mod folders, but the other day I was going through my computer trying to cut down on folders and such and made just basic mod folders for Infantry, Effects, and Misc. I went from about 10 to 6 and made everything more compact and easier to manage. As well as managing the folders, I don't use the makers folders, I rename them all shorter. But yeah, without having some sort of various folders for the addons you couldn't be able to easily manage them.

I wouldn't even want to see what my addon folder would look like if I just had one folder and everything in it. That would be insane trying to manage and keep up with what you have installed.

Hi all

As others have said use only a few mod folders at the same time.

I could use Yoma or Kegetys or any of the ArmA loaders, but because I do development I just use a folder full of shortcuts.

I use no more than two or three mod folders per shortcut. I keep them all in an ArmA folder on my desktop. Each short cut comes in a windowed or full screen form.

Inside are the main versions of ArmA I play; vanila ArmA, ArmA with CoC, ArmA with CoC and all Islands, ArmA with ESP and Zeus Common; along with shortcuts to teamspeak, FRAPS, ArmA Edit and other editors. And also within this root desktop folder are other folders containing shortcuts to the beta test versions I run. All told it is about 30 different mixes of ArmA.

It is just a matter of being organised.

That said for most people I would suggest an ArmA loader of some kind.

Also make sure your MOD folders have an "@" at the front and only load those with an @ at the front. That MOD developers are not following this convention is part of the reason you see people doing the silly thing Matt Rochelle has spotted.

It became a convention for a reason wink_o.gif

Maybe ArmA II will have the "@" sign as compulsory.

Kind Regards walker

I used to combine my faves into one or two folders and name them odd things like "extreemz h4ckz0r bot!! LOLZ" until I got banned from a server....

I used to combine my faves into one or two folders and name them odd things like "extreemz h4ckz0r bot!! LOLZ" until I got banned from a server....

LMAO!!11

rofl.gif

I do use Yoma Tools, but I think even Yoma is stopped at 128 characters on the command line for adding parametres....

The limit is up to 32k chars (using CreateProcess) which shouldn't be a problem wink_o.gif

I haven't quite tested it, but it may be that the amount of characters the arma.exe accepts is limited too.

The limit is up to 32k chars (using CreateProcess) which shouldn't be a problem wink_o.gif

Good to know. Then if Yoma uses this way of starting up, it should not be a problem. BTW, this was only to show 1 limitation if you run at commandline, like if you would edit the startup parameter.

I do like @folders and I do like them with short names. So I don't run into strange problems. I like when I easily can disable an addon completly. And not have to delete any files or move them, since I often forget where I put those files.

Best retard NoBrainer

Untill proven wrong i still think the arma.exe might have it's own limit's of startup parameter length.