Sign in to follow this  
Gromic

Urban Patrol Script Markers

Hi

Maybe one of you scripting gurus can help me with a little problem I've been having with Kronzky's awesome urban patrol script.

I've set up two markers. Alpha and Beta. Marker Alpha is where a random number of groups are spawned at mission start. This is what I've got in the group leader's init line:

nul=[this,"Alpha","RANDOM","MIN:",3,"MAX:",6] execVM "ups.sqf"

So far, so good. Works like a charm.

This is where my dilemma is. I'd like those spawned groups to move to marker Beta und patrol that marker. I've used triggers, waypoints and even sacrificed my neighbor's cat (jk) but nothing seems to work here. Spawned patrols keep patroling Alpha regardless of what I do. They won't move on to Beta

I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Is it possible that UPS only allows patroling of the first called marker? I've studied Kronzky's included example mission "ups-dynamic" to the point of my hair falling out - to no avail. Searced this forum and many others for an answer. Google probably thinks I'm spamming it. Now it's time to ask you almighty scripters in hope that I may retain some dignity.

Anyone out there?

Greets

Gromic banghead.gif

Well welcome to the fourm. I will have a look at the UPS script and see where you might be going wrong.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kind greeting and for your offer to assist.

Kronsky mentions within the readme, that the variable KRON_UPS_[side] can be set to 0 causing the side to "abort their patrolling and stop at their current position." This works as advertised but further calls to patrol another marker - and at the same time setting KRON_UPS_[side] back to 1, don't seem to be noticed. They just stand around filing their nails.

War is hell.

Greets

Gromic

Dynamic patrols can achieved in two ways:

Either you move the marker to a new position (via setMarkerPos), or you order the units to stop patrolling at the current location (via the KRON_UPS_side flag, as you did), and then you issue them a new patrol command. This has the same syntax as the initial UPS call, just with the new marker name in it: (e.g. nul=[unitname, "Bravo", etc...] execVM "ups.sqf")

Just be aware that you can't call the script with "this" in the first parameter. That only works if you call it from a unit's unit line (in that case "this" refers to the unit). But if you call it from somewhere else you need to refer to the unit by its name.

Hope this cleared up things a little bit.

And definitely look closely into the dynamic patrolling demo! That has all the relevant features in it.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try that out (although, I'm pretty sure I already did - must be a typo) on the weekend. Have to lay low ATM because my woman setcombatmode "RED" on me due to all the time I've invested on mission editing the last couple of days. tounge2.gif

Greets

Gromic

Hi,

Have to lay low ATM because my woman setcombatmode "RED" on me due to all the time I've invested on mission editing

Start saving up for the divorce now. It's happened to most of us already. ;) LOL