Sign in to follow this  
oktane

Next Target command

Has anyone been able to reassign the 'Next Target' key and have it work successfully? Since Arma came out, I have had to use the default Tab key to cycle through targets, even though I use the arrow keys area to play. (old OFP style, nice having view controls on numpad within reach)

I have tried on different computers, and I searched the forums a lot but didn't find anyone else that seems to have this problem.

It's a serious bug to me since the free cursor has been taken out in vehicles, I am not able to lock targets unless I:

-Point the aiming reticle at the target with the nose and manual lock it.

-Reach over and press tab, not something I want to do in a dive.

-Use a joystick with that key bound to a button(I think this might work, don't remember exactly)

I am specifically talking about the 'Next Target' key assignment which used to work perfect in OFP, cycling through all 'active' (red) targets on the radar when you are using a AT missile in an aircraft or tank.

Seems to be a simple bug in the keyboard handling code, or maybe there is some fudging I can do in the default game cfg files to set the default to be something else? (since obviously the default WORKS, nothing else does) Setting it via the in game gui does not seem to work.

Any ideas? Are my systems all cursed?

I have the Sprocket Version, and 2 German DVD versions, all are affected.

Thanks banghead.gif

Note, even removing the default binding of TAB from Next Target will result in cycling of active targets when TAB is pressed. That would indicate to me it was accidentally hard coded into the game. sad_o.gif

I assigned a button on my joystick via the normal menu's and it works fine. I have not removed the default "Tab" button as I drive with the WSAD keys and use my Arrow key's for foot controls.

But I think you are experiancing the problem as you have red markers on your radar but you can not target them this is due to the targeting system that needs the target in direct view. If your red marked target moves into some cover even behind a building before you switch to it the marker stay's there at the last tracked location. How-ever the target can not be targeted untill it comes into view again.

The same problem exists for the normal call out, target and attack commands. If the target moves into cover behind some tree's you can some times not have your squad target him as you can not direcly see it, but you know he is there and you are forced to use the target menu for the target.

This is my experiance with the game, but you can do a simple test in the editor to see if you have the same effect as I am.

Just place some targets around a city try to be on there side and plan your route that you would fly or drive. After you have made say 5 targets and you have put some into cover from your route and left some out in the open. you know there positions when you do your run but only recon them so fly over and check how you can target them you should most probably find that the out in the open targets were easy but the ones you put into cover you will have to find a clear angle to fly in with to target and engadge them. You might also be able to target them behind you as you pass over but they will be back into cover soon as the buildings and trees close your direct view of the target. If you do this test and find that you can not target the targets even the out in the open ones then switch gun type and try again. Air to ground are normally guns and missile. So that should not be a problem to target them.

I hope this helps you identify your problem.

----SCROLL DOWN FOR FIX----

I see. Thank you for testing. But can you try to assign next target to another key on the keyboard? I bet you it wont work. biggrin_o.gif

Concerning my test, I have a simple setup on Rahmadi. 2 Shilka's with empty ammo, and a MOVE waypoint so they activate RED on the radar. I am hovering 200 meters from them in an AH6. We have line of sight, as we are aligned to the runway. Tab will cycle through the targets.. any key I assign to Next Target will not cycle, except the defaults. Even removing tab from Next Target will still cycle!

I have solved this myself by messing with my .ArmaProfile although there is indeed a big fat bug. I will explain it the best I can...

In the configure controls listing, there is a entry called Next Target. In OFP, this command cycled through the RED targets on the vehicle radar, if you had a compatible weapon selected. (like an AT missile) It worked fine in OFP. In Arma, changing this setting (its default is TAB(15) and Stick Btn 2(131073)) causes the entry keyLockTargets[]={15,131073}; to change in your arma profile. However, this command keyLockTargets does *nothing* in the actual game as far as I can tell. It will not cycle any targets at all!

To Prove:

Set your Next Target to no keys at all. This will make keyLockTargets[]={}; and then Tab and Stick Btn 2 should not work to cycle target anymore. But it does... This is because there is another command called keyVehLockTargets[]={15, 131073}; and it is set to the same defaults... This keyVehLockTargets does not show up in the configure controls listing at all, so you cannot assign or change keys to it. icon_rolleyes.gif Unless you manually edit your armaconfig, you cannot remap the keyVehLockTargets command. That is the command that actually cycles the targets properly. If you edit your file and make keyVehLockTargets blank {}, you will see that cycling no longer works.

So riddle solved for me, just a little bug for BIS. Can you verify that is the case? If someone has a BugTrack acct, could they verify this is reported so it doesn't wind up in Arma2?

----FIX----

To fix, set the Next Target command the way you want it. (I want it to be 'Home' key, 199) Then exit the game and open your .armaProfile in a text editor.

Find the line keyLockTargets[]{....} highlight all the numbers inside the {} on that line and copy them to the clipboard. (ctrl-c)

Mine looked like this: keyLockTargets[]={15,131073,199};

Then find the line keyVehLockTargets[]{....} you will see that bastard is still set to its defaults.. highlight all the numbers inside the {}'s on that line and then paste. (ctrl-v)

Before: keyVehLockTargets[]={15,131073};

After: keyVehLockTargets[]={15,131073,199};

Save the file and then launch Arma. You can now cycle your targets with the key of YOUR choosing! You'll have to do this every time you want to change it though.

BIS please sanity check the Keyboard Dialog -> .armaprofile/engine key variable mappings. tounge2.gif

Thanks,

oktane yay.gif

I believe the problem is that theres two entrys for Next target in the key config, the one further down is the right one for when in vehicles I believe.

I believe the problem is that theres two entrys for Next target in the key config, the one further down is the right one for when in vehicles I believe.

You nailed it.. I never noticed there are TWO 'Next Target' commands listed in the key config! whistle.gif

One shows up in 'Infantry controls', and the other only shows up in 'All Controls'. Mystery solved. I wonder what the 'Infantry' one does..

rofl.gif

One shows up in 'Infantry controls', and the other only shows up in 'All Controls'. Mystery solved. I wonder what the 'Infantry' one does..

I haven't checked this, but my guess would be that it is for the Javelin. That's the only non-vehicle using target cycling as far as I know and thus possibly could use a separate key.