Sign in to follow this  
Warrior Xâ„¢

The Unsung Vietnam war MOD

Well I mean in Release 1

i have to stop as i am noticing i am giving away far to much info already...  pistols.gif  goodnight.gif     .... crazy_o.gif

Yeah quit flappin yer gums X!!! biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

I know we shouldn't ask these kinds of questions but.....how soon should we see R1 and will R2 release be within a few months time of Release 1? Sorry I'm sure you guys are not big on release questions, the suspense is killing me. biggrin_o.gif

I know we shouldn't ask these kinds of questions but.....how soon should we see R1 and will R2 release be within a few months time of Release 1? Sorry I'm sure you guys are not big on release questions, the suspense is killing me.   biggrin_o.gif

No worries, we are anxious to release as much as you guys are anxious to check it out!  We will need feedback as you guys would assume.

But with that said, most of us have RL jobs/families (e.g.construction, security, student, pilot, accountant etc) that this increases the time unfortunately.  

R1 is not far off.  I do realize we keep saying that, but it is close.  It is just a matter of tying off a few loose ends and troubleshooting the missions so that they are SP and MP ready.

R2 release should be much quicker.  I doubt we will add any new islands, just tweak the existing two we have now.  We plan (at this time) to add a different service branch of small ops teams to the MOD, we plan to expand on the NVA and VC forces along with adding many new small arms weapons along with new missions/campaign.  

R1 was our attempt to build a stable foundation in ArmA with a few units, a Huey, island and some models.  Well, we over shot that a bit (over 1GB of garbage) and are just trying to eliminate from annoying errors so you guys do not have to be bothered with them.  So it takes time to identify the error and correct it with so much ground to cover in the MOD.

R2 will be an expansion of R1 with an additional troop type (western).  We will add a few additional pieces that enhance the MOD’s realism/ambiance when playing.

R3 is where the rubber meets the road because we going after an era we were set to release in OFP.  It deals with the area OF and AROUND the Khe Sanh area ('67-'68).  Obviously, you would expect the marines.  So we plan to try and add everything that is related to the USMC as far as we can.  This includes infantry, vehicles (soft and AFVs), aircraft (helicopter and fixed wing) etc.  Now this will be a larger undertaking but the great part about it is that we will be adding to the MOD’s inventory of goodies, not creating this thing from scratch.  

Keep in mind, 95% of the things you will find here are built from scratch…  We passed on re-drafting a few models that were exceptional in OFP and worked on just the textures.  Everything else is newly created with new(er) textures.  I think you are able to see the difference in the screenshots we have provided.

So to answer your question, (with any luck), we will be able to add the necessary content rather quickly and start internally testing it for R2.  While testing, the mission guys will be able to start right away making their missions so that R2 can be turned around rather quickly.

I understand completely, I have the blessing of just being a student and I often have free time so I was getting a little ancy. Thanks for the info, can't wait for R1 and especially R3 pistols.gif

Like I said, if you need some extra help I can always find some bugs. wink_o.gif

I understand completely, I have the blessing of just being a student and I often have free time so I was getting a little ancy. Thanks for the info, can't wait for R1 and especially R3  pistols.gif

Like I said, if you need some extra help I can always find some bugs.  wink_o.gif

'Just' a student!? Gah, I think I'm moving over to your school/university. My studies keep me very busy. biggrin_o.gif

Will the sf units in R2 have Stoner Ar's? Would love to see those rifles in arma. I know vilas made them, but they are ofp quality.

Will the sf units in R2 have Stoner Ar's? Would love to see those rifles in arma. I know vilas made them, but they are ofp quality.

Great Question!

The M63a will make its debut, but I cannot say that the ARs are on the radar screen...

Well okay small update/show of stuff.

As we are aware that not everybody has a good machine, we made the large island in another smaller version. It concentrates on just the SW part of the Kham Duc main island. The smaller island is called Ngok Tavak. So i recorded a small firefight out there in the jungle. I had a FPS count of around 24 while having 5 squads stealth fighting around me and viewdistance at 600. Why 600 you ask? Well i f#### only can see around 150 in front of me so why the hell have it at 1000 or more.  biggrin_o.gif

Anyways here's the Youtube vid:

Now let us work in peace a little so we can finish this thing. Like Yac said, we busy.  nener.gif

Great vid, but please it would be SOO great to see footage of actualy SQUAD combat action. I mean I can hear the guys in the video, but I personally would love to see the us forces out in formation in the jungles of vietnam. WITHOUT snow. remember that vietnam scene from forrest gump? Remember the look of vietnam in platoon? with jungles and heuys flying over head? Well can we expect that in this mod?

Hollywood movie "Forest Gump" is not a good material about the history of the war in Vietnam. References to it are not very accurate wink_o.gif As for the rest of it to see what You asked, but as far as possible based on historical facts.

Is AI still able to see/sense you through 4 bushes in a row and kill you with deadly accuracy as in vanilla ArmA?

Is AI still able to see/sense you through 4 bushes in a row and kill you with deadly accuracy as in vanilla ArmA?

It depends you have a 50% chance they spot u at a distance or walk right up on you. We are basically using the equivalent of the old ofp HD mags.. so it gives the ol spray and pray feel, however if you aim properly you can hit the target pretty easily.

If you spot the enemy and they start shooting in your direction best to hit the deck and roll they lose sight of you. Most plants etc have view blocking capabilities but the auto clutter on the ground doesn't, a arma shortfall I think. But the accuracy of the AI is random sometimes they hit you one shot other times they miss completely.

look at my vid it might be able to answer your question better.

Sav

Well, that depends...

A lot of time was spent on setting up View LODs on the jungle models.  So you have two options:  slow and quiet, or fast and loud...  

Slow and quiet limits your Line of Sight but you are better concealed from the AI.  We've conducted internal tests where you can crawl up to an enemy force and sit within 10 meters of them without them knowing.  

Now, you can have the biggest, baddest set of 4 bushes you want, but if you run or fire your weapon in automatic mode, you will become Target #1.  I've had some success when engaging the enemy with an M-16 by using fire and move techniques.  Using those techniques with the M-60 wasn't so successful

But realize you have many variables that you have to take into account when engaging/moving within a jungle atmosphere.  Seldom will you make it out of a fight if you stand and fight with an automatic gun.  Firing in automatic is only good for when you are firing to suppress the enemy and then you flee.  Semi-Automatic is preferrable and you also save ammo and reduce the chance of lead poisoning.  

Another item to take into account is that we use DEMs to create our maps.  You will rarely find a flat surface in which to move so you should consider also using the terrain to your advantage when attacking/fleeing.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you for these rich answers! My team is anxious to test the jungle out smile_o.gif

As we had a lot of vid's show some fog and the ground turned white then, here's a vid for you guys without that nasty foggy white snowy ground wink_o.gif

I get a severe case of schrapnel poisoning in this one.  biggrin_o.gif

Missing the crackling and rustling if units walk/run through in the shrubbery. Think of only hearing steps - without that talking/chatting...more thrilling atmosphere.

Missing the crackling and rustling if units walk/run through in the shrubbery. Think of only hearing steps - without that  talking/chatting...more thrilling atmosphere.

Its been taken care of I just have to get it to work , got the sound of doggy tags in there too and the sound of your gun dragging on the ground when your prone. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to implement them in the config :P

that might help... smile_o.gif

dunno if it's even possible to add an extra sound for every pose (stand, crouch, prone)

BB

Thanks for the info m8 smile_o.gif