Sign in to follow this  
SHWiiNG

Red orchestra: Darkest Hour released!

Finally after 18 months in the making, this mod beta has been released.

Get it here

Darkest Hour Home page

Try it out and especially how RO is available on steam for just 5 bucks! aka £2.50!

When you have had a blitz on it, share your opinion!

-Shwiing

I always wondered what the Western Front would look like in RO's realistic setting. Just downloaded it and tried it; the idea is nice but the sounds are really poor and destroy the immersion, especially when confronted with the superior Axis sounds... Then again, it's only the first version, so I'm sure it will be improved upon smile_o.gif

I tried it aswell. Looks quite nice, but there was this map with only tanks and I was driving happily through grasfield untill the tank bumped into a small wooden fence and stopped instantly.. guess im too used to OFP/ArmA now.

I tried it over the weekend; the mod still needs a fair amount of work, but RO itself wasn't flawless when it first came out for UT and it's refreshing to have a new, yet familiar theatre to play a great game in.

Shame so many of the American maps crash, as most servers have cut them out of their rotation, leaving only 4 or 5 maps to play on. DH seems to have more new content than the other released RO mods: Carpathian Crosses and Mare Nostrum, but the problems with it seem more critical to me. So far I think CC is the most playable mod for RO, but it's often quite difficult to get on a decent server.

Darkest Hour has been patched to 1.0a, fixing the map crashes so that we can enjoy the American side of things properly. Some of the sounds have been improved too.

Check it out here:

http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3300

Also, make sure you get the new map, Foy. It's a good 'un:

http://redorchestra.panzerdivision-frundsberg.de/dload.p...._id=681

I tried it. The Beachhead battle is way too unrealistic. The terrain that is. Seems very video-gamish IMO.

what do you mean? about the omaha beach level.

Dont take saving private ryan as a realistic representation of Omaha Dog green sector, because it isn't.

What Darkest hour have done is actually re-created as it was. the terrain is quite realistic, well there needs to be some improvements on the actual condition of the areas over the bluff. as this was heavily bomber before the beach landings took place.

So as before.. what darkest hour has done is realistic. i dont see whats wrong with it.

guess he awaits smooth realistic terrain which si hardly possible with UE2.5 engine only ...

Is there a new patch out or what? Most of the servers don't let me play due to wrong version (installed 1.0a and Foy), and, well, RO AI is "a bit" dull, especially as they're supposed to drive Higgins boats to the shore and disembark from them...  mad_o.gif

EDIT: Seems to be the 1.0b hotfix... released today.

http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3387

Yea, they had to add a new hotfix for the DH server browser since Tripwire patched the server browser for Red Orchestra via Steam on Saturday night.

Darkest Hour 1.1 patch is out now:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/darkest-hour-normandy-1944/downloads

Includes:

*2 popular custom maps: DH-Foy and DH-Hurtgenwald

*3 new maps: DH-St. Fromond, DH-Le Fosse and DH-Merville Manor.

*Bipods on LMGs are now deployed with the "Deploy" key, rather than the IronSights key to prevent accidental deployment in combat.

*AT weapon accuracy increased drastically

*Bazookas and Panzerschrek start with a round in them and no longer lose AT rounds given to you by other players when you switch weapon

* New weapon sounds for M1 Garand, Colt M1911, and all Allied vehicles

*Moved the ironsights away from the screen to increase view on a number of weapons

Plus a number of additional changes and bugfixes to gameplay and maps.

Cool will download the patch and see if it takes me away from Vanilla RO, which I actually have preferred so far.