Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

V-22 Osprey Tilt Rotor

very nice ... really like it.

but is it possible to make the gear manually.

so you can deside your own to land or fly low biggrin_o.gif

greetz

Hello Gnat,

This addon is great. Ive noticed some thing though. When flying it likes to pull up a lot. Also when flying it feels like Im kind of controling a helicopter. I think the second thing I notice is due to ArmA limitations? Other than that, this is great for picking up a bunch of guys fast and getting out of there.

Thanks for all your great work Gnat and everyone that helped you!

If you would have read the read me, it clearly says in there that it is based off of a helicopter as that is the only way of making it work. It is near the top that says read first.

Your going int the right path, keep up the good work.

More LOD's as you referred will make it more realistic indeed.

I like all inside except the left and right small windows detail.. the iron texture could be better simulated.

About the general color, could it be improved to be more realistic?

Great addon, I had a lot of fun flying this thing. Spent a cpl hours testing this thing, no crashes, I even made a couple rough landings and still no problems.

1 thing though, can you possibly make the external camera a little further back, kinda hard to see around that monster.

Looks great sitting on the Nimitz, havent tried to catapult it yet..lol.

edit: here is a great video I came across on youtube, you've probably already seen it but heres the link.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhYvJkQE34

Yap i like it alot. couldnt care less if its a beta i think it works fine. Just a few blemishes but meh dosnt really affect anything. Its easier to fly also then i thought. the only time i crashed was when i went to grab my bottle of water!.

Yap i like it alot. couldnt care less if its a beta i think it works fine. Just a few blemishes but meh dosnt really affect anything. Its easier to fly also then i thought. the only time i crashed was when i went to grab my bottle of water!.

get a Camelbak then tounge2.gif

I really like the Osprey, good job so far! thumbs-up.gif

Looking forward to any later Versions, can't wait for different Color shemes!

smile_o.gif

Thanks for the comments guys smile_o.gif

From oneoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frx67uugxC4

@zGuba

Quote[/b] ]Could it be done so 2nd pilot place will be manned by default? (needs to be clarified as turret without weapons and its proxy name/number changed etc.)

Maybe, thats a gunner position (no different from BIS choppers/planes)

@RobertHammer

Quote[/b] ]BTW is possible make this osprey go to up 500 km/h?

Nop, sorry, can't seem to get it to go any faster than 400

@warpuppy

Quote[/b] ]1. What is the syntax to have the AI open the ramp in flight ?

2. Does the internal have the red/green light for jumping?

this animate ["cargodoor_down",1];

this animate ["cargodoor_up",1]";

and

this animate ["cargodoor_down",0];

this animate ["cargodoor_up",0]";

2. No ... maybe later

@layne_suhr

Quote[/b] ]could you add a M2 or Mk19 to the side door with the hole it

Yep .... lookin into it for the next version

@mankyle

Quote[/b] ]Suggestions:

- The RVMATs you have used for the fuselage are too reflective. Sometimes it looks is silver

- The glass is bullet proof

- The sound loop of the engines does a slightly noticeable hiccup.

- When the landing gear opens you don't hear any sound. Would it be possible to add one so when the landing gear opens a sound is played?

1 - Yep, fair enough

2 - Already said it was a problem

3 - Hmmmm ... only you have reported this problem. Sounds nice to me.

4 - Lookin into it

@Kaio23

Quote[/b] ]I almost killed it with 4 SAW magazines, actually. And it only takes 2-3 hits from a shilka before exploding in flight.

Sounds pretty realistic to me

@HailStorm

Quote[/b] ]one thing i noticed - it still acts like it has a tail rotor!

No choices here ..... thats the chopper ArmA engine. I doubt change is remotely possible.

@Eble

Quote[/b] ]The Arma engine has problems with things (people included) being loose in the cargo area, its to do with the GEO Lods.

In simple terms there isn't a way at the moment of flying the V22 or C130 or An124 with people standing in the cargo area.

or vehicles for that matter.

Yep, thanks Eble, you're exactly right

@EricM

Quote[/b] ]I sent it to Gnat if he wants to release/edit it for future versions...

Nice !! Thx mate, see what I can do wink_o.gif

@RavenDK

Quote[/b] ]Alltho the shadows on the glass is acting really wird..

Yeh sad_o.gif not sure what that is. Will work on it. Thx

@[CAS] Daniel

Quote[/b] ]Would it be possible to add night lights to the rotors?

Nar, doubt it, seeing light points in Memory LOD dont seem animatable .....

@rundll.exe

Quote[/b] ]But maybe Gnat can make the "tail rotor" in normal helicopters defined as one of the main rotors on the osprey. This way one rotor stops if you hit the "tail"  and then the spinning is kind of realistic.

It is already. Thats why 1 stops before the unit starts spinning. Very little if anything can be done with it.

@Commando84

Quote[/b] ]Also there is no sounds when gear are inserted or out put.

Also whats the init line command to open the rear cargo door?

1 - Yep .. next

2 - See above

@thegunnysgt

Quote[/b] ]I don't know if you know this already, but there is not flap movement when you turn or go up and down.

Huh? The flaps on a V-22 dont really perform the same function as flaps on a plane most of the time. One function is to reduce the wing area presented to the rotor down-wash when hovering.

Anyway ..... its a chopper wink_o.gif

@Manzilla

Glad you like it smile_o.gif

@Peregrine

Quote[/b] ]Also when flying it feels like Im kind of controling a helicopter.  I think the second thing I notice is due to ArmA limitations?

As thegunnysgt said .... read the ReadMe

@bravo 6

Quote[/b] ]More LOD's as you referred will make it more realistic indeed.

I like all inside except the left and right small windows detail.. the iron texture could be better simulated.

About the general color, could it be improved to be more realistic?

Yep, see what we can do

@Inkslinger

Quote[/b] ]can you possibly make the external camera a little further back, kinda hard to see around that monster

Should be do-able  wink_o.gif

To fix the "tail rotor" problem you could make it with the same dynamics as the harrier so when you go to Auto-Hover On the Rotors tilt up and it flies like a plane when you have them normal smile_o.gif

Stopped everything I was doing when I saw it released. Played with it, and was stunned when I saw ramp in operation. Just like the real thing. Great job!

Couple of things:

1. Is it possible, that when passengers go to load/unload they do it from inside rear cabin. So A/C could hover, drop ramp, and then troops could run out under their own control? This would offer so much realistic action.

2. Whats up with the 30 foot giant outside my cargo ramp? Views are weird.

3. I think turret under nose was originally for FLIR/Thermal Cam. Incase anyone was wondering.

This is a great effort and is be appreciated.

Regarding the ramp, as someone else mentioned, it is going down a little bit too slow.  However the issue of it going down when disembarking troops is quite easy to do.  On my mod's (Lost Brothers) CH-53, the ramp animation is triggered to open or close automatically when the cargo (troops) disembark.  However if the ramp doesn't go down quickly enough, they can get stuck on the ramp depending on where the memory point is positioned for cargo (troops) disembarking. At any rate, you are welcome to use that script. An alternative, is to make the script height dependent like on the landing gear. That works as well.

A door gunner shouldn't be too hard to do if you just copy and paste the BIS gunner stuff from their UH-60 model from all their LOD's and the memory points  The model.cfg part is the hardest part to implement.  

Keep in mind that a new upgrade of the Osprey is in the works to give it a cannon turret mounted on the belly of the aircraft. Currently, if I'm not mistaken, the single gunner is positioned on the cargo ramp due to the dangers of a stupid door gunner shooting out an engine or rotor blade in the heat of combat.  So turning the door gunner proxy/models/memory points 90 degrees and putting him at the rear and on one version with a fixed open cargo door, might be interesting.  In Afghanistan, alot of CH-47 gunners fly with a gunner in that position.

Anyways, those are just some ideas.

Overall, its an excellent beta addon.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thats no problem about the flaps, I did notice on the wings next to the engines that they do move automatically with the engines. Although I was talking about the tail to help steer and what not, but if it is there or not it is still a great piece of work.

Nice osprey looks nice. But it realy looks like an plastic toy with that paint schem wink_o.gif All in all good plain Miles Teg gots the right ideal wink_o.gif

I don't know other but I have suffered a problem with the altimeter. Sometimes it shows 0 m when the altitude is much higher, let's say 40 or 50 meters.

That screws completely the mando heliroute script that I was trying to use with the Osprey so it lands on the Nimitz.

Maybe it's a config problem.

I to have had this problem. I really liek this addon but when trying to fly at low levels at night it can cause some horrfic accidents. Great work Gnat. Keep it up mate.

@thegunnysgt, Gnat

I have read over the readme. Im not looking at the read me right now because Im not on my game computer. I could tell that is the helicopter physics. I was just asking if it was due to ArmA limitations. If you look I dont have a question mark after, "Also when flying it feels like Im kind of controling a helicopter." Sorry if you took that the wrong way though.

Something I am wondering though is when flying it likes to pull up a lot. Usually a helicopter levels itself off and stops pulling up from there or theres some type of trim to keep that from happening. My guess you did this so the plane/helicopter would be able to travel fast, or is there another reason behind that?

If thats in the readme, Im sorry. I dont have the readme infront of me right now. I wont until later tonight after the internet line is fixed, and I cant unpack it and get the readme file either because what Im using doesnt have winrar.

Anyways thanks for a great addon.

Here's a link to my mission featuring the V-22 ospreys!

Its a straight head on island take over mission, just 2 days work so nothing fancy..

Download here!

btw Arma version 1.14 is needed due to some new content used from that version like new structures.

Could you make a Osprey with a plane style config? Only to see if it's better or worse.

You chose a helicopter style in order to put weapons in it, don't you?

Could you make a Osprey with a plane style config? Only to see if it's better or worse.

You chose a helicopter style in order to put weapons in it, don't you?

In no way speaking for Gnat here but I suspect it has more to do with the difficulties making a plane perform like a helicopter, which is what the osprey MUST do to take off and land.

The V-22 is designed as a transport and rescue VTOL aircraft. So the only armament it might have is a ramp mounted mini-gun like the Seastallion and the Chinnok have sometimes.

Quote[/b] ]GUN

The aircraft is armed with an M240G 7.62mm machine gun mounted on the back ramp.

BAE Systems has developed a remotely operated weapon turret for the MV-22, the Remote Guardian System (RGS), which provides 360 degree coverage. The RGS can be belly-mounted on the MV-22 and can be armed with a GAU-17 7.62mm mini-gun or other gun up to 0.50 calibre. If funded by the USMC, the system could be ready for installation in mid-2008

You could put a disenbark point on the rear deck to allow players to para out the rear ramp. I'd suggest having two controls one ofr ramp and one for side hatches.

Gnat you could also do something like I did with the A-6E Intruder for OFP with it's folding wings, but do it for your rotors and wings. Have a look and see what I mean. Miles Teg has seen the effect. I personally don't think it'd take much to mod the CFG command for your use.

Here's it in action;

wing1.gif

wing2.gif

wing3.gif

And the real thing;

A6WS.jpg

How possible would it be to give it a harrier-like handling? Couldn't you use a harrier-like flight model for the V-22? I'm sure it's tweakable so that it has VTOL rather than STOL.

My 2 cents...

I think the V22 already flies very well, very responsive and going almost perfectly straight once you gained enough speed. You have to be careful with some manoeuvres, but that's mainly because you can get over enthusiatic and underestimate the inertia or wing span...

I see it more as a super-chopper rather than a plane, hence I don't know what the advantage would be to use the harrier flight-model which seems more limited and already needs hacks to use the svtol functions.