Sign in to follow this  
pvt.pile

Geforce 7800GTX to 8800GT?

Hello guys just wondered if anyone has recently upgraded from an older 7800 to a 8800? If so what kind of difference did it make to the performance of ArmA, I am sick of running of ArmA in low/very low settings esp. when I see other peoples ArmA vids. The rest of my system isn't to bad its just my GFX card that is letting me down, I think.

Windows XP 32.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 OC ed to 3.1

2 GiG of ram

Geforce 7800GTX

10MB Cable.

Well I've got an 8800GTS w/ 640MB of RAM and I can run ArmA just fine. I would have to say go with the 8 Series. It's a very good upgrade from a 7 Series.

I upgraded from a 7800GTX to an 8800GT just about 3 mothns ago. A large fps improvement, or rather I was able to bump up gfx settings to mostly High instead of Medium and still get a small fps improvement.

It's not a direct comparison though, since I also upgraded from a single core Athlon 3700+ CPU to quad-core Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz at the same time, so it's hard for me to know where most of the performance increase came from. ArmA doesn't benefit greatly from multiple cores so I'm assuming the majority of the improvement was the gfx card in this case.

But what I can say for sure is that with that CPU and an 8800GT or better (8800GTS 320 or 64oMB are a bit worse; GTS 512MB, GTX, or Ultra are a bit better) you should be able to have a playable game with high settings, with one note of caution: 2GB RAM might be on the low side especially as you increase detail levels. You should probably consider upgrading to 4GB, even though with 32bit OS you won't quite get the full 4GB available...more like 3.2GB IIRC.

Right thanx lads I think I am going to buy one at the end of the week and get more ram in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully soon I will be able to play ArmA on normal/high settings smile_o.gif.

I upgraded from a 7900GS to a 8800GT very small improvement in FPS. Barley noticeable.

I don't know if its my card or what but I have tried everything.

And what has this to do with troubleshooting?

There is an exisiting PC Discussion thread you can use for this.

Closing.