Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

AI in Warfare?

As you might have guessed from the title, I was just curious about how the AI handles Warfare. I am far, far away from my computer at the moment, and will be all week, so it's impossible for me to find it out for myself.

So, if anyone here has tried the new Warfare mode alongside AI players, I'd really like for them to post their opinnions in this thread. I'm suprised BI chose to include AI -support, actually, as I would have assumed that mode to be a bit too complicated, perhaps.

So, yeah. Are they good at building? Are they active? Do you get lots of nice, juicy big battles?

ai is, i would say, as good as the the old scripted ai in MFCTI. Any better or worse, i can't say.

Something between a melon and a rabbit. (read : nothing impressive, quite the contrary), at least for independants.

But things get interesting once you get to encounter the opposite side

I must say that they actually did a good job with the AI scripting in Warfare. Support vehicles do their jobs, AI teams follow orders nicely, and resistance can at times put up a good fight.

AI is just fine but servers need to make sure they up the skill levels over Regular. Otherwise they can be pretty bad.

I tested Warfare offline, created and Lan-Server and started the session will all slots used by AI and everything worked good.

Besides that, the support trucks tend to kill you and your team when you are not really careful near roads, and AI-controlled Teammates get stuck in towns, Warfare works perfect even when you play it offline. smile_o.gif

If left for long enough (I left the 32 per side game running for close to a day), then the enemy base eventually becomes a giant supply truck parking lot. When I started playing again, I couldn't win, since I physically couldn't reach their HQ to destroy, either 'in person', or using a stand off weapon. My PC also ground into a slide show when approaching their base, due to rendering what must have been hundreds of trucks all in one small area. Doh!

I guess I must retract a bit to point that yes, the supply AI are not that bad.

It's indeed perhaps a case of servers with low AI skill, all I saw from them was Indeps and ennemies wandering around, taking 20 seconds to spot you and react, well.... free kills.

Not counting AA missile pads missing everything they shot.

Hi all

A body removal script is needed a quick and dirty one will do.

Perhaps a Graves Registration vehicle moving around locating the dead and moving them to a cemetry addon would be nicer. Multiples of grave models say one grave then a square of four, then sixteen, a monument at 100 etc. To reduce load.

Kind Regards walker

AFAIK there is a body removal script. I learnt it the hard way by switching tube to a stinger on a US soldier to try shooting a passing by Cobra, only to find, once the Cobra was gone, that the US corpse had disappear, taking with him my RPG sad_o.gif

But Independants have been forgotten and their corpses stay there to rot for ever.

A better base management would be nice both for player and AI (better logic, no infinite truck spawning when the AI doesn't know what to do, more refined placement of objects to give a better feeling...)

And I like the idea of having an incremental cemetary, first with single tombs with crosses, then a monument etc... Quite simple to code, actually !

Otherwise, the AI is quite fair in this mission, even in SP. When creating the LAN party, don't forget to set the difficulty on 'Veteran', otherwise the AI is rabbit-brained. ANd I notice they tend to stick around to long in cities.

However, it's damn fun assaulting a city with 4 groups of 8 men, with armor and fire support. AND not having to code it myself ^^

Malick

the AI is rabbit-brained. ANd I notice they tend to stick around to long in cities.

Hi all

If the ArmA AI is up to the inteligence of rabbits that is in AI terms phenominaly intelligent. CoD AI is about Ameoba level.

As to the AI staying around in tow clearly there is need for a Military Police option to keep AI out of the virtual brothels and bars. biggrin_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

I find it a bit funny that the AI of Arma and Ofp is being mocked all the time, when really,

theres no other game where The AI can do what the Arma AI can do, in such a open environment.

Hi all

sparks50 I agree the AI in ArmA is by far the most intelligent of any game. I for one have never said otherwise.

Can it be improved? Yes of course but ArmA AI is already exponentially better than any other game AI. That however is no reason to rest on your laurels.

As to mocking it I mock humans for being a dumb ass the fact I and others mock ArmA AI is testament to the fact that it is so intelligent. You can not mock CoD4 or Farcry engine or Quake AI cause they are all too stupid to realise they are being mocked.  biggrin_o.gif

Sometimes I think I see ArmA AI get embarrassed when they get caught with their pants down.

Kind Regards walker

I find it a bit funny that the AI of Arma and Ofp is being mocked all the time, when really,

theres no other game where The AI can do what the Arma AI can do, in such a open environment.

It's because the AI doesn't look convincing, the CoD4 AI looks like they know what they are doing thanks to nice animations+scripted stuff, the ArmA AI usually give the impression like they are lost, even when they aren't. wink_o.gif

It's because the AI doesn't look convincing, the CoD4 AI looks like they know what they are doing thanks to nice animations+scripted stuff, the ArmA AI usually give the impression like they are lost, even when they aren't. wink_o.gif

Ah, so much like the Canadian army you say?

nener.gif

i think the bodies do actually disappear after a while - vehicles do too, if they aren't claimed by a recov. truck it seems as well.

i didn't like how the RACS have T-72's from the get go - started near a town with one and got immediately shelled by it. damn lucky i jumped into a UAZ instead of the HQ vehicle, or i would have lost the game there and then as it blew me up.

it would be good if they made an appearance only after a certain conditions, say, if half the towns are taken, or either side build their own.

thought i might share this screen from that same game, taken five minutes into it:

badwarfaresetupeditj2se9.jpg

first the RACS almost win the game, then i realize the Americans are camped 800m east of me! the D-30 arty made a killing that game...

i think the ArmA AI is much more suited to open-field fighting. in close-up engaging in cities, their reaction times are way too slow to be effective in combat.

Just tried hosting my own server on LAN with 32 players-- so that I'm the only human player and the rest is AI.

Try it and see...

AI does have serious problems. Bridges like the eastern bridge at Dolores are a pain... when 2 meet headon on that bridge they end up blocking each other.

I ordered a supply truck and sent him to a town's supply depot... supplied that town but he then got himself inside a fenced in area and kept going "NEGATIVE" when I told him to move on to the next place. I ran over to investigate and there was an opening right in front of him, but since he was inside the fenced portion he didnt want to move at all. I shot him for treason due to incredible stupidity and did the supply run myself.

As commander I found the best unit to tell my units to use (for SLA) are the BRDM. Each AI tends to hire 2 BRDMs-- the MG and the AT, and then they travel as a pair. They did a pretty damn good job... since they are wheeled vehicles they tend to try to stick on the road and they dont get stuck as much.

They did a nice job of circling the supply depot in each town [when set to capture towns], capturing it and moving on. Sometimes they'd get stuck however and I'd send them an arty barrage to erase their genes from the genetic pool.

The BMP or T72 would often try to make cross country treks up steep mountains... taking forever.

When I tried UAZ attack squads they messed each up on the bridges (way too many uaz running into each other).

Might as well have the soldiers go on foot....

A problem here is:

You can't use other team's vehicles even they are empty...

It is a big problem when someone abandon a tank on a bridge.

another one is the fog, it is so dense that airplanes are useless in Warfare...

(I can't even see the ground from 1000m high)

A problem here is:

You can't use other team's vehicles even they are empty...

It is a big problem when someone abandon a tank on a bridge.

another one is the fog, it is so dense that airplanes are useless in Warfare...

(I can't even see the ground from 1000m high)

RACS armor is stealable. getting hold of one is the hard bit. (though going nuts with a RACS T-72 in the beginning stages of the game is ludicrously fun! )

Airplanes are far from useless in Warfare. the 30mm guns on all the aircraft rip base buildings to shreds (although your right, base structures don't appear until you're practically on top of them)

Just a quick question, after a game of warfare, and i return to the main menue, the background video is of a UAV/TV cam watching either a building, or a vehicle surrounded by a bunch of troops, is it possible to TV guide GBUs or something with this game mode?

I have noticed that there is a problem for the Resistance AI squads when they are spawned near water.

Quite a few times on various servers, I have entered a new town, to witness many squads without weapons. I assume they lost their way trying to cross bridges and lost their weapons in the water.

This does not present any challenge at all to the East or West sides when trying to cap a town. They may aswell not be there.

Wouldnt it be better in this case to prevent the loss of weapons in water, due to the poor AI path finding?

It also seems that AIs do not attack an enemy HQ.

I saw about 3 Abrams, 5 strykers and Humvees surrounded a SLA HQ and shooting fled soldiers, but none of them fire at the HQ itself.

and you can't lock on a HQ from a chopper also...

I had to use M197 to finished it up

Good thing you cant lock on empty mhq`s , would be way too easy.