Sign in to follow this  
Bebul

ArmA 1.14 Linux Dedicated Server Public

yey - good news!!

i only wonder....

if it took only 1 day, why not postpone the initial 1.14 release, and release all stuff at once?

yeah, i hear you thinking : Mr Hopper has ridicilous ideas....

It requires all data from 1.14 public version.

When I copied my ArmA directory from my PC to my server to get my 1.12 beta server up, I had to copy over 5 GB. That takes quite a while to do over a shared DSL line. Are you sure all data is required? Surely there's stuff in a client install that never gets used on a server. Isn't there a list someplace of exactly what is needed?

TIA

It requires all data from 1.14 public version.

When I copied my ArmA directory from my PC to my server to get my 1.12 beta server up, I had to copy over 5 GB. That takes quite a while to do over a shared DSL line. Are you sure all data is required? Surely there's stuff in a client install that never gets used on a server. Isn't there a list someplace of exactly what is needed?

TIA

You do not need Campaigns & Missions directory and the root content (executables, dlls etc).

But why reupload the whole thing, if you can just copy it from your old 1.08/1.12 instalation and then overwrite only updated files?

It is about 300megs - I have yet to upload and test the thing. Rsyncing the differences would probably make this even faster.

yey - good news!!

i only wonder....

if it took only 1 day, why not postpone the initial 1.14 release, and release all stuff at once?

yeah, i hear you thinking : Mr Hopper has ridicilous ideas....

damned you release it, damned you dont...hard to please people...even harder to please some... crazy_o.giftounge2.gif

[

You do not need Campaigns & Missions directory and the root content (executables, dlls etc).

But why reupload the whole thing, if you can just copy it from your old 1.08/1.12 instalation and then overwrite only updated files?

It is about 300megs - I have yet to upload and test the thing. Rsyncing the differences would probably make this even faster.

That's good to know. In that case, maybe BI should be packaging that 300 MB or so as part of the Linux server DL? It would add quite a bit to the size of the DL that they host, but it would also make it a LOT cleaner install.

The immediate reason that I wanted to know exactly what was needed is I am very limited for HD space. I built the box with a pair of 10,000 RPM SCSI drives running in a RAID0 configuration several years ago. Back then, top end 20 GB SCSI drives were very expensive. I really don't have the room to do a clean install on a full game set. Now that I know what's needed, I can simply copy over the needed files and subdirectories from my running 1.12 beta server into a new subdirectory, then apply the 1.14 DL. Given my lack of HD space, that's a lot easier to manage than of having to duplicate the whole thing.

Bebul, comments? Would it be possible to repackage the Linux server DLs to include the needed material in the future so we don't have to go through this?

In case I haven't made it clear, THANK YOU for getting this out the door. I've been waiting a looong time for a stable ArmA Linux server. smile_o.gif

That's good to know. In that case, maybe BI should be packaging that 300 MB or so as part of the Linux server DL? It would add quite a bit to the size of the DL that they host, but it would also make it a LOT cleaner install.

Just tested it. If anyone wonders, these are the files that need to be updated (some are new) on linux dedicated from vanilla 1.08. There might be more of them on QG installations.

Of course you will also need the new binary, battleye should update itself. The beta folder is now useless.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">\mpmissions\mp1-20_sector-control.porto.pbo

\mpmissions\mp15sectorcontrol.sara.pbo

\addons\usmcd.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\warfare.pbo

\addons\warfare.pbo.bi.bisign

\dta\bin.pbo

\dta\bin.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\usmcd.pbo

\addons\ui.pbo

\addons\ui.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\saralite.pbo

\addons\saralite.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\cti_buildings.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\hotfix.pbo

\addons\hotfix.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\language.pbo

\addons\language.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\missions.pbo

\addons\missions.pbo.bi.bisign

\addons\cti_buildings.pbo

\addons\a10.pbo

\addons\a10.pbo.bi.bisign

Eda, I can't figure out where you see that the server only needs 300 MB.  My addons subdirectory has well over 4 GB in it and it all looks like basic ArmA stuff.  The only additional mod that I have loaded is Durg's Vegetation Fix and that's only 8.5 MB.

Sigh.  It looks like I'm going to have to figure out what I can delete from that partition to make enough room to copy over most of the ArmA subdirectory.   sad_o.gif   Oh, well.

Eda, I can't figure out where you see that the server only needs 300 MB. My addons subdirectory has well over 4 GB in it and it all looks like basic ArmA stuff. The only additional mod that I have loaded is Durg's Vegetation Fix and that's only 8.5 MB.

Sigh. It looks like I'm going to have to figure out what I can delete from that partition to make enough room to copy over most of the ArmA subdirectory. sad_o.gif Oh, well.

Eda listed the files that you have to update on your 1.08 server, it is not a complete list of all server files being needed.

Also Durg's Vegetation fix should have around 450 MB if proper installed, because it patched the plants.pbo.

Getting off topic here, but I thought Durg's /replaced/ plants.pbo and just added a bit more?

Getting off topic here, but I thought Durg's /replaced/ plants.pbo and just added a bit more?

If you follow the installation instruction of durg's it will create a patched plants.pbo in it's mod folder.

But I am not sure if its wise to replace the plants.pbo in the arma addons folder. I never gave it a try wink_o.gif

No big deal one way or the other, I guess. I was planning on re-installing Durg's when I was done with the upgrade anyway. smile_o.gif

Hi,

It must also take the addons who find themselves in the case of the 1.12 beta?

The fix of 1.12 on the guards, or they are away?

Hi,

It must also take the addons who find themselves in the case of the 1.12 beta?

The fix of 1.12 on the guards, or they are away?

If I understand you correctly, you're asking if the AI improvements in the 1.12 beta are present in the 1.14 download?  According to the changelog, they are.

HTH.  HAND.  smile_o.gif

"File server, script not executed"

That bug is finally squashed?! wow_o.gif. that one has spooked me for ages on a AMD Opteron server with the Evolution maps. enter town and scripts doesnt trigger bug.

hope it's really what i think it is. if so THANKS A LOT! D

Has anyone else had problems when starting a mission with Linux Dedicated 1.14 server?

I have default installation of 1.14 server, no mods or anything. Linux is Kubuntu 8.04. Everything works fine, joining to the server works, until I try to start a mission, then it just stops at "reading mission":

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

5:39:03 Admin Osmo logged in.

MPMissions\mp22_coop_6.porto: string @STR_Mission_Name cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\mp21_c&h_60.porto: string @STR_MP_M21n01 cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

5:39:56 Roles assigned.

5:39:56 Reading mission ...

On client side it says "Wait for host", and it just doesn't load the mission even though I wait for a long time. I tried to look for some file that has more detailed log but couldn't find one.

Server Information

CPU: Intel Celeron 2600MHz

Memory: 512MB

Operating System: Linux Kubuntu 8.04

Has anyone else had problems when starting a mission with Linux Dedicated 1.14 server?

I have default installation of 1.14 server, no mods or anything. Linux is Kubuntu 8.04. Everything works fine, joining to the server works, until I try to start a mission, then it just stops at "reading mission":

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

5:39:03 Admin Osmo logged in.

MPMissions\mp22_coop_6.porto: string @STR_Mission_Name cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\mp21_c&h_60.porto: string @STR_MP_M21n01 cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

5:39:56 Roles assigned.

5:39:56 Reading mission ...

On client side it says "Wait for host", and it just doesn't load the mission even though I wait for a long time. I tried to look for some file that has more detailed log but couldn't find one.

Server Information

CPU: Intel Celeron 2600MHz

Memory: 512MB

Operating System: Linux Kubuntu 8.04

err. have you runned tolower script? :/. cause i see upper-case names in the folders there.

err. have you runned tolower script? :/. cause i see upper-case names in the folders there.

I ran the ./install script which came with the dedicated server. Weird thing was that the script says that it's 1.08, but I guess that's just a mistake in the script. I ran it again and it says this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ArmA Linux Dedicated Server 1.08

Converting ArmA directory:

1 file-names were converted

ArmA server was installed.

Even though I run it again and again, it says the same thing now every time "1 file-names were converted". In the beginning there were more file names naturally.

After running the ./install now again few times, In the beginning when I start the server it says this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Item STR_03s01 listed twice

Item STR_LIB_HILUX listed twice

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesBasic/DefaultDie/

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/Crew/

Updating base class ->MGunCore, by ca\weapons\config.bin/cfgWeapons/MGun/

19:31:55 Dedicated host created.

19:31:56 Host identity created.

ArmA Console version 1.14 : port 2302 - Sockets

19:33:49 Osmo uses modified data file - CA;FDF_Sounds

19:33:49 Player Osmo connecting.

19:33:57 Player Osmo connected (id=xxxxxxxxx).

19:34:12 Admin Osmo logged in.

19:34:14 Mission 01: Clean Sweep (Coop 6) read from bank.

19:34:18 Roles assigned.

19:34:18 Reading mission ...

I logged in as admin and tried to start a mission, it halted in same place as usual: "Reading mission ..."

I'm not positive, but I thought that the tolower script just cleaned up the initial installation. I don't think it touches added mods. Or am I off base?

In any event, if you're at all familiar with Perl, Python, Ruby, or just shell scripting there's another solution. There's bound to be several scripts out there that'll do the job for you with some minor modifications. A Google search or two for HOWTO, Linux, lowercase, and the scripting language of your choice should come up with one for you.

@=JpS=SgtRock: I don't have any mods installed on the server. Currently I'm using FDF_Sounds on the client but this problem was the same even when I am not using any mods/addons on the client.

@whisper: I have iptables active and the correct ports are opened.

@=JpS=SgtRock: I don't have any mods installed on the server. Currently I'm using FDF_Sounds on the client but this problem was the same even when I am not using any mods/addons on the client.

@whisper: I have iptables active and the correct ports are opened.

it happens with any mission or just a selected few?

@=JpS=SgtRock, the tolower script/code-snippet just makes all filenames lowercase. since linux differs upper and lowercase. while windows doesnt. so without running tolower it can get quite quirky.