Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

RAF Chinook

Hi, i get the next error message when i try to put this chopper on

the editor:

raf_chinook_bug.jpg

with the ArmA v1.08 . Let's C ya

I got this too in ArmA 1.12 Beta while testing in the editor on rahmadi.

It looks great, it sounds great. Bad thing is I have no use for RAF vehicles/units sad_o.gif An US, RAC and an UN version would be cool biggrin_o.gif Then I could leave the mapfact ch-47 forever.

...You only have replaced the spanish army flag, for the british ...

Oh no, they haven't! The union flag they are using is the

King James 1606 design that hasn't been used since

1801! mad_o.gif

flagballzup.jpg

They need the 3:5 military version of the modern union flag!

looks good , thanks smile_o.gif

edit: looks really great, the blades spin in the wrong direction though, that really don't bother me much , but i noticed is a quite common bug between the community made helicopers

and the chopper side is independent although its crew is west sided

regarding the "tex/" error , it is caused because of this:

class Damage

{

tex = {};

mat = {"RAF_Chin47\ch...

instead of

class Damage

{

tex[] = {};

mat[] = {"RAF_Chin47\ch...

but if you change it , you will recieve more errors saying :

Warning Message: Cannot load texture ffaa_famet\ch_47\texturas\ch47_nohq.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture ffaa_famet\ch_47\texturas\ch47_smdi.paa.

if the texture paths could be fixed in the p3d model it would be great

Thanks for the comments, i will be fixing them all for the next update today

Thanks for the comments, i will be fixing them all for the next update today

Thanks for looking into an update mate.

I love this big bird hammering around the Afghanisatan map - insertions are cool again!

I did notice though, when my group of 5 were disembarking from the Chook, the 5th AI man was still on the ramp when it took off - when he walked of, he fell to an untimely death! crazy_o.gif

Is there a fix for this (loiter after insertion) or is it an ArmA engine thing?

Thanks again

Stew

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Very very very veeeeery Nice!!!

thumbs-up.gif

Downloading now, too bad Ive got sooo much work left

to do before Im able to go play games again! confused_o.gif

Really nice. The helic moves like it would be expected. The sound is nice also.

Few bugs though :

- no glasses at the windows in the cockpit

- the actions (such as lower or raise the bay) should only be available to the pilot, when he's in. At present, anybody can do it from outside the helic, and from quite distance of the helic.

- no damage/destruction texture

Good work.

yay.gif

Is it possible to make the choppers sounds louder, to me it sounds too quiet. Also, can there be a sound for the rear ramp when it is lowered and raised?

Great work btw.

Is it possible to make the choppers sounds louder, to me it sounds too quiet. Also, can there be a sound for the rear ramp when it is lowered and raised?

Great work btw.

I second these two remarks too.

I had the same feeling.

Few bugs though :

-

- the actions (such as lower or raise the bay) should only be available to the pilot, when he's in. At present, anybody can do it from outside the helic, and from quite distance of the helic.

Good work.

yay.gif

Actually the cargo ramp can be lowered from both inside and outside the chopper.  On the real Chinook there is a actuating lever at the aft right location inside the cabin (crew compartment).  So the crew chief/Flight engineer can raise and lower as he sees fit...there is also a panel that can be opened from the outside so as the reach the lever as well.  However there is a switch in the cockpit that allows the pilot/co pilot to raise/lower the ramp...but it is very seldom used...the crew chief/flight engineer handles that portion...at least in the US Army anyway.  wink_o.gif

Few bugs though :

-

Good work.

yay.gif

Actually the cargo ramp can be lowered from both inside and outside the chopper. On the real Chinook there is a actuating lever at the aft right location inside the cabin (crew compartment). So the crew chief/Flight engineer can raise and lower as he sees fit...there is also a panel that can be opened from the outside so as the reach the lever as well. However there is a switch in the cockpit that allows the pilot/co pilot to raise/lower the ramp...but it is very seldom used...the crew chief/flight engineer handles that portion...at least in the US Army anyway. wink_o.gif

Okay, thanks for the info.

That was one of my hypothesis... biggrin_o.gif

I love this big bird hammering around the Afghanisatan map - insertions are cool again!

I just tried out the helicopter on the same map.

And I must say it fits very well.

But the flightmodel is good, but there is still some work needed. The rudder doenst really work very well when flying. Also when the helicopter is tilted to the sides more then 45 degrees it does strange things, and wont respond properly to the controls.

Perhaps a bit of tweaking is needed. It does feel like a heavy helicopter. But the Mapfact Apache feeling, which is too heavy for

the apache would be perfect for this bird.

Perhaps a armed version? huh.gif

And now Im going into details, the ET markings arent right, but that is so tiny detail.

Very very nice addon again, and it looks very good. Only point I have to say again is that the flightmodel could use a bit of tweaking.

Also on the next release could you make the windows a little clearer rather than the smoky texture you have them set to? Espectially the pilot side and chin bubble windows.

Thanks

I spent a good hour and a half flying this baby. It handles really well but there are a couple of quirks that I'm not sure are right.

1st is that if you bank more than 45degrees, the aircraft stops turning, in fact it's quite possible to fly straight and level in this attitude if you make no control inputs, and if you pull back on the cyclic you end up actually yawing away from the line you should be heading.

2nd is that in a dive it is incredibly difficult to pull out. I went nose first into the ground a fair few times when attempting to pull out from a dive about 80-100 feet up. I know its a heavy A/C but that seems a bit wrong.

3rd is that as much as I hate the BIS, "Hit the ground slightly hard and the rotor's stop working" method, this bird seems overly survivable. I actually bellied into a mountain at 150 and flew off A/C unscathed, but I was actually wounded.(Was playing with SLX mod at that point, but I did similarly when testing it originally in vanilla)

This is a great aircraft and I can see it popping up in many missions. It would be great if you could pop a armed version in, with the gunner on the tail ramp! yay.gif

Would it be possible also to have several textured versions ? I know it is RAF, but this is the only one Chinnook available that's that well made, so.

How about a standard US version, so everyone can easily integrate it in missions ?

Thanks.

Good work Nick!

Nice to see my stuff flying in ArmA! For a quick armament-fix someone could add two m134 miniguns (like the one on the uh60), one to the right door and one to the left window. And perhaps if there's a model around, a M60d for the ramp.

Thanks afro, all the hard work goes to you mate.

Regarding everyone’s posts. I’m a huge fan of the Chinook, and back in ofp me and afro were quite enthusiastic about making it best it can be.

Times have changed, but I’m willing to put this little bird under a "pet project" for arma.

Here are my plans

1.) Add new WSO position at the rear of the aircraft

2.) Add a variant with a MG on the ramp

3.) Walk’able Ramp

4.) Fix Damage textures

5.) Change Rotor Blade directions

6.) Increase the sounds

7.) More sfx for ramp,incargo and warning systems.

8.) Look at implementing some sort of cargo system

9.) Fast rope options, and sea based insertions

10.) Lighten up the window glass

11.) Increase damage to rotors when hit on ground

12.) Edit flight dynamics and pitch

What I have done since the first release

1.) Moved Union Jack to rear Engine section, with correct flag

2.) Fixed the texture paths, no more errors

3.) Edited the colouration slightly (more olive green now)

4.) Changed sides to "WEST"

5.) Lowered Armour values

6.) No extra markings, call signs or numbers

I’m not sure how long all this is going to take me, not too long I hope.

Cool...looking forward to the next release...in your post you said you made it more of an olive drab color...does that mean it wont look at shiny when the sun hits it? (I hope) smile_o.gif