Sign in to follow this  
rocket

New Island from USEC

I served in the U.S. Army in Alaska.

I had a friend who fell prey to hypothermia. He started hallucinating, seeing his friends having a party outside his car, so he started walking in his bare feet. Maybe you could spawn units as hallucinations? Crazy things like pink flamingo lawn decorations and garden gnomes and the like. lol As oasis with an open bar?

You'll need to be able to erect a tent and get a fire going, maybe with a stove?

You'll also need a Northern or Southern Lights script for nightime.

If it is in the Southern hemisphere, then you need penguins, don't you?

If it is in the Northern hemisphere, then polar bears.

Where do puffins live?

You need some "Oh $hit!" moments, like when your vehicle breaks down inexplicably and won't start back up.

Lots of these things could become mini-games.

Jack London's works should provide plenty of inspiration. I read "To Build a Fire" (that website has two different versions) in college.

Oh, note that "rotor wash" (prop wash, the air blowing from the helicopter) is dangerous at those cold temperatures.

Also, must drink enough water, so as not to get dehydrated.

Oh, and you need the ability to judge your hydration by the color of your urine, so a "write your name in the snow" mini-game would be cool.

And drinking alcohol doesn't make you warmer, it only makes you FEEL warmer.

And after you lose feeling in your hands (this happened to me many times after standing outside on guard-duty for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs at -20 degrees F) it should be more difficult to do things with them.

Don't forget freezer-burn from touching metal objects with bare fingers at low temperatures. That's always fun.

Yep, you guys are SCREWED! nener.gif

This looks like a really good idea for a mod. Some of the map landscapes kinda reminds me of the atmosphere in films such as '30 days of night' and 'The Thing'.

Good luck with this, i hope it evolves further.

I wonder if they will still let me use the napalm..

Looks good, its an impersive work and im still astonished by the scale, any idea how long it will take to get it to us?

First o all you got my compliments for the great job on island and custom characters.

Then I can say that it will perfectly suit a Russian artic base with my very long range Sa-5 model biggrin_o.gif

It's almost ready for release, just needs scriptings.

Gimme a call if interested smile_o.gif

Best wishes, GH.

Looking great!

Suggestions:

Loved the snow maps by FDF in OFP. However one thing that bothered me was that it felt more like hard ice, the illusion of snow was destroyed by the fact that noone/nothing sinked into the snowy ground, everyone/everything walked/drove on the surface.

Is it possible to put a texture-layer slightly above the ground so it looks as if peoples feet are "sinking" slightly into the snow?

Kinda like how on sahrani people far away have their feets "covered" by grass (using this effect also when close).

Maybee also a subtle "snow-dust" effect around the feet/lower legs when moving around.

About the "snow-layer", maybee its possible to vary the depth, harder/slower to walk in deep snow.

Maybee have some bare rock textures here and there on the mountains. Also some big (and small) blocks of rocks and ice scattered around for cover.

Would be nice to have some sort of research station on the map whistle.gif (yeah i watched and played the thing too)

would you consider a model similar to the parka wearing agamoth units from the armageddon mod....maybe a little retex......fur-lined hood and thicker clothing(limbs) for authenticity?

all the same looks great notworthy.gif

Maybe facilities such as in the thing. It would be cool to film zombie like movies in a place like that. biggrin_o.gif

Will there be dancing penguins?

Seriously though, I can see what you are getting at with the spirit of the map.

In that regards you have set yourself a very difficult balancing act between having a map that is a bit dreary and repetitive or losing all of that lovely isolation by cramming in too many features.

Just off the top of my head, and not wanting to be a fool about it.

I'd have thought that maybe you would want to go for a sparing mixture of man made items and natural features.

Maybe something like a broken coast with cliffs and islets, with a large commercial ship permanently anchored at another point on it. And then a research station as suggested. And possibly one or two small huts in the middle of large tundras.

After that there could be natural features such as icebridges, caves, crevasses, ice holes and bergs.

Perhaps you might even consider graduating the climate so it becomes less extreme at one end of the map and more rock and possibly vegetation and way stations or other signs of human infringemnt become apparent which would make it both a good objective for escape and evasion/survival treks or alternatively an atmospheric start line for that "what am I getting myself into" factor.

As for non military mission inspirations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_%28comic_book%29

Very interesting addon!   welcome.gif

Will you create some arctic creatures or units? There are few arctic units. Whatever, I wish to recommend this style:

castshot.jpg

camp.jpg

Imagesaucercrater.jpg

It's 'the Thing.' John Carpenter's masterpiece movie.

GREAT JOB icemotoboy! It is about time someone makes a real winter map AND units ^^ Really looking forward to run around in the snow :P Keep it up

I think it be really cool if you can make the "Golden Eye" radar dish complex to put in for mission makers. As in Greenland during the cold war a place like that exsisted in the middle of no ware land. Also be nice to remake the good old Golden Eye missions for that Nintendo 64 hit

AWESOME concept. Great work so far, the characters are sweet. Some suggestions:

- frost on the windows for all vehicles (would really add to atmosphere)

- Cars take longer than normal to start?

- A research station or two (like everybody's been saying)

- Russian base, downed satellites/aircraft

- fishing ship stuck in the ice?

Odly enough, the arctic has been the source of some international conflict recently. Canada, US, Russia, and others have been racing to secure as much territory there as they can. The thinking is that with all this global warming, a northwest passage might become a practical reality. I know Canada has just committed to greatly extending its military presence in the far north.

will there be polar bears and penguins? tounge2.gif

will there be polar bears and penguins?  tounge2.gif

biggrin_o.gif That would be awsome ^^ Did you know that The polar bears mostly live on the norhtern Hemisphere :P and Penguins in the southern hemisphere^ tounge2.gif  So basicly they would not be at the same place. But since this is a game... screw the real world stuff. I'll ask the same question. Will there be polar bears and penguins? :P  nener.gif

EDIT: And snowfall? In FDF mod they had snowfall ^^ That would be super cool. Sorry if anybody asked this already or you have written: yes, i will include snowfall. But i had not got time to read anything. I'm so excited!! ^^

Amazing, simply amazing !!!

I am a snow lover and do military operation in French Alpin troops.

Since I play OFP and now ArmA, I was looking for all addons that can take place on snow !! Your project is simply wonderfull !!

What about animals in those wonderfull landscapes ?

White wolves, ice bear, ... it will be great !

...some white nights for a white spirit...

will there be polar bears and penguins? tounge2.gif

biggrin_o.gif That would be awsome ^^ Did you know that The polar bears mostly live on the norhtern Hemisphere :P and Penguins in the southern hemisphere^ tounge2.gif So basicly they would not be at the same place.

Oh really? tounge2.gif

wow this would be really immersive. Imagine a MP scenario where you lost eachother in some crash or storm, and have to find eachother, with all the dangers of the cold.

Looking forward to this! yay.gif

OH and to add something to the list:

-really need the blood stains script on this mod (like in FDF for OFP and I think its in SLX too) Blood in snow is much more clear then normal.

-A good snow storm script that allmost blinds you.

-good wind sounds

Might have nothing to do with the island, but the atmosphere is the most important thing here.

"The Ice Hotel" is definitely a must..has to be there...

visite1.jpg

Great map btw..gj.

How about an old whaling village.

As for the atmosphere, polar bears?

Roaring wind sounds on the plains?

Northern lights?

Iglo?

Good luck

Very interesting addon! welcome.gif

Will you create some arctic creatures or units? There are few arctic units. Whatever, I wish to recommend this style:

[ig]http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/castshot.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/camp.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/Imagesaucercrater.jpg[/img]

It's 'the Thing.' John Carpenter's masterpiece movie.

The first and second preview pictures plus the picture of that icestation (the non-cartoon one) reminded me the entire time of "The Thing" by John Carpenter, and the ideas of isolation you could create. Even search and rescues could take hours and with the right croud and what not, could be great.

Its a shame sometimes you can't find those who are up for that kind of mission... whistle.gif

Wow, this looks amazing!

I think this map will help convey the sense of forboding isolation and loneliness. I've felt that a few times camping in the winter and the images do help remind me of those feelings.

I agree, if you can add a whaling station, it'd be great. Also, maybe some dead animals that have been frozen and preserved, plus a whale skeleton or two at the station would help, among the many other suggestions people have made.

Not sure if it's even possible, but I think the occasional meteor falling to Earth would complete the map. smile_o.gifnotworthy.gif