Sign in to follow this  
thy_raven

Multiplayers LAN Issues

Have been trying to play arma over lan with a group of friends, keep encountering the same problem tho. I host the session Using one core to run the dedicated server and the other to run the game (which still plays perfectly smoothly) my friends all join the game, but when we are playing we all sometimes get the little yellow chain in the bottom right hand corner and while the game still appears to run fine, the AI and each other all appear to start to do random things like walk through walls or drive around in circles etc. After a few seconds of this (maybe 30 or so) the game just pings back into being normal again. everything appears to work fine again for maybe 2 or 3 mins then it occurs again. the chain only appears when crazy stuff is happening, and it doesn't appears thus far to follow a pattern, it happens whether we are flying around or standing around.

its almost like each player is being desyned with each other, but surely that shouldn't happen over Lan? and presumably my rig is enough to hold its own as a server?

My system is;

2.67 Ghz Core 2 duo

2 Gig pc 6400

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Many thanks

Raven

I get that chain in the corner too sometimes but nothing serious happens.

Except of this one time when it happened and the universe split into two... and one player was simultaneously riding a bike and walking in the country side and the other player was dead and alive at the same time. Some kind of solipsism gone wrong.

It has to do with nuclear physics, dude. I would want to piss Shroendinger (sp?) off.

This guy is mean to cats.

@ thy_raven

Just wondering which mission/mission's were you in when this was happening?

we tried evolution, after it went funny we tried quarenteen as we thought it might be a little less taxing, then when that didn't work we tried a much smaller mission with only 4 of us attacking an SLA base. The randomness always seemed the same.

be sure that all your friend have a valid copy of this game ...

If not, thell them to buy it. this game worth it

What version of the game are u running I recommend if ur using 1.12 to increase the server Max Bandwidth output we had a similar problem and it seemed the default Max Bandwidth was way too low which was causing desyncing and Stuttering AI at distances

Yeah you definitely need to make sure you've set up all the server configuration stuff. There is lots of info about it in the Biki. I'll post some example configs when I get home.

Atm my arma.cfg is set up like this, it is slightly modified i think.

MinErrorToSend=0.000001;

MinBandwidth=320000;

MaxBandwidth=100000000;

MaxMsgSend=512;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=32;

MaxCustomFileSize=1600000;

I am right in thinking this needs to be in arma.cfg not in the server.cfg?

i think i've fixed the problem, i wasn't linking the arma.cfg to the server properly. it seems to have no desync now, so thats all cool.

The only problem i have now is the warping/jumping AI in the distance. doesn't really effect average play but makes life hell for snipers.

Is there any fix out there for the warping? i've tried fiddling with the minerrortosend, i've tried fiddling with the min bandwidth and i've tried fiddling with the maxsizenongarenteed. none of these seem to effect the warping at all really.

Any help on this would be wholly appreciated, as its really killing the game play for snipers and tank gunners.

Many thanks

Raven