Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

DediCated Servers Crash

My dedicated server crash all the time playing the Evolution maps, ill say that players are very lucky if they gets the whole map before crash. First i thought that my hardware couldnt handle it. (server on xp, p4 3200mhz 2gb ram,

25/25Mbit cnx), used to get the out of mem error, but after 1.12b it have gone, and i only get the windows "arma have stopped working bla bla bla.. I bought a new server (e6600 dual core 2gb ram) and still the same. I played other servers and they seem to crash too when 4-5 towns are taken. I removed all addons from server, but same crashes. Are Arma simply not up to the task of playing large maps/missions like evolution ? How about linux servers do they suffer as well ?

Your not the only one having this problem. We are having it also.

I can confirm that linux version is a bit unstable too.

1.09b (windows) was more stable than 1.12b.

Our server has the same problem also, mostly happens when someone activates a second town.

So try not to activate two towns at the same time.

Signed,

It seems now that when server crashes all clients also crashes at excact same time. I can see this as my dedi-server is just beside my client (on a different isp) and i asked players and they say that their Arma also shut down. If this is a client mod that can cause this its very bad, only option i see then is not alowing any mods on server, thus hardly any players will join server. Does any have any hints for bad mods that could cause this? Any one running a dedi not alowing any clients with mods to join, that also crash ?

By the way its now on 1.14 but happened also on 1.12.

Our dedi has crashed a lot playing warfare. We are starting to use other maps to see if its the Server 1.14 patch or the map its self.

I can confirm this but it happens on other missions too (about 7 or 8 crashes in 24 hours).

I've spoken to another person who also runs an ArmA server and he has the same problems. Seems that it is related to non stock addons but I'm only guessing.

What also happened yesterday was that a guy with SLX connected and shortly after he was in the game multiple clients (funny enough not all) crashed but not the server (my ArmA crashed too, SLX knife was the problem).

Xeno

How many players have you guys been running in your servers?

We played for over an hour in the warfare mode in the 16v16 mission with 10 players vs AI. No crashes.

So is it because you guys had more players than our server test session did?

This is very disturbing to hear.

Our dedicated server crashed yesterday when there were around 20 people playing (including entire OPFOR side of my guys) - yes, we were playing Warfare on S.Sahrani.

It has crashed when we took BLUFOR base and suddenly huge lag appeared. Its still offline sad_o.gif

But we didn't have any problems playing our MP coop campaign on island of Barbuda before for more than 2 hours.

Our dedicated server crashed yesterday when there were around 20 people playing (including entire OPFOR side of my guys) - yes, we were playing Warfare on S.Sahrani.

It has crashed when we took BLUFOR base and suddenly huge lag appeared. Its still offline sad_o.gif

But we didn't have any problems playing our MP coop campaign on island of Barbuda before for more than 2 hours.

So you played for 2 hours (assuming 20+ players) for 2 hours. That is encouraging. The real test will be when the IC-Arma, the largest tournament plays it. And Theatre Of War (AToW) the 2nd largest tournament plays it for 3 hours on Saturday & Sunday respectively.

So you played for 2 hours (assuming 20+ players) for 2 hours. That is encouraging. The real test will be when the IC-Arma, the largest tournament plays it. And Theatre Of War (AToW) the 2nd largest tournament plays it for 3 hours on Saturday & Sunday respectively.

Yeah we will then know if its the mission or the patch. smile_o.gif

there is also server setup that may be an issue and settings, also there are some bad maps floating around, we found a good one and stuck it on most of our servers

could it be peoples Addons?

It seems so for me. I had several crashes too, mostly a short time after a player using a lot of addons connected.

Since I enabled signature checks and the server is kicking for unsigned data, it didn't crash anymore.

I am allowing only few mods like ArmaEffects or some sound mods.

The downside is indeed that the server isn't as crowed as before. confused_o.gif

Hopefully it's not the lower player count which prevents the server crashes huh.gif

Even since the early days of OFP, clientside mods have been able to crash servers....

It is very clear that this is happening now in ArmA, and the main way of stopping the crashes is to use the "verifysignature" method.

You should also install the extended event handlers serverside..

I still cant believe the amount of mods some players are using especially the full mods in conjunction with other mods ie.....SLX at the same time as Sixth_Sense and extreme Arma even ECS....all full mods in their own right and shouldnt be used with other mods for starters.

Players should just reduce the amount of mods they are using to play online down to 1 full mod, and maybe one or 2 smaller client side mods for sound or FOV maybe.

They could even connect without any mods at all to a new server, until they find out what mods are allowed to be used!

I have - in my opinion - proven, that client side mods are responsible for server crashes.

The Sahrani Life Server I'm hosting (Official SL Server #1) has been suffering from frequent crashes. It's a linux box the server runs on and due to linux' very informative nature, i've been able to find out, that those crashes were caused by segment violations.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">May 18 00:15:57 deimos armad_1.12[20984]: segfault at 305f3931 rip 83215e0 rsp ffd21780 error 4

May 18 22:03:00 deimos armad_1.12[21931]: segfault at 3d343a19 rip 8390608 rsp ffbc17f0 error 4

May 18 22:40:44 deimos armad_1.12[21994]: segfault at 3ca3d7cb rip 8390608 rsp fffcf910 error 4

May 19 17:11:00 deimos armad_1.12[22026]: segfault at 3d7df477 rip 8390608 rsp fff6b0b0 error 4

May 20 15:02:12 deimos armad_1.12[22492]: segfault at 3bbc6b40 rip 8390608 rsp ffb76cc0 error 4

May 21 00:38:55 deimos armad_1.12[25059]: segfault at 3d3852ac rip 8390608 rsp ffb0f460 error 4

May 22 19:00:28 deimos armad_1.14[27682]: segfault at 3c03132f rip 83905c8 rsp ffcfce50 error 4

May 22 20:27:55 deimos armad_1.14[27737]: segfault at 46423fbb rip 83905c8 rsp ffd92ef0 error 4

May 22 20:37:55 deimos armad_1.14[27889]: segfault at fd rip 83905c8 rsp ffdb3e40 error 4

What drew my attention was that the crashes only occured when there were several people on the server. When i checked the server's console log, i stumbled upon this (Repeated for thousands of times. Some of the logfiles were as big as 20MiB):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgMagazines.SLX_SmokeGrenadeLauncher'.

Warning Message: No entry '.picture'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: No entry '.scope'.

Warning Message: Error: creating magazine SLX_SmokeGrenadeLauncher with scope=private

Warning Message: No entry '.displayName'.

Warning Message: No entry '.nameSound'.

Warning Message: No entry '.Library'.

Warning Message: No entry '.libTextDesc'.

Warning Message: No entry '.type'.

Warning Message: No entry '.count'.

Warning Message: No entry '.maxLeadSpeed'.

Warning Message: No entry '.initSpeed'.

Warning Message: No entry '.reloadAction'.

Warning Message: No entry '.modelSpecial'.

Warning Message: No entry '.ammo'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons.SLX_SmokeGrenadeLauncher'.

Warning Message: No entry '.scope'.

Warning Message: Error: creating weapon SLX_SmokeGrenadeLauncher with scope=private

Warning Message: No entry '.displayName'.

Warning Message: No entry '.nameSound'.

Warning Message: No entry '.type'.

Warning Message: No entry '.picture'.

Warning Message: No entry '.Library'.

Warning Message: No entry '.libTextDesc'.

Warning Message: No entry '.model'.

Warning Message: No entry '.fireLightDuration'.

Warning Message: No entry '.fireLightIntensity'.

Warning Message: No entry '.muzzles'.

Warning Message: Size: '/' not an array

No owner

No owner

Since even with the - hopefully - more stable version 1.14 these crashes did not seize to exist, i decided to disallow any kind of clientside modifications.

Since that change the server has been running at capacity for 4 hours and for more than a day since its last restart.

I'd say that should definitely point out what client mods are capable of.

We have all those mods baned from our server using dooACS so players cant connect with the mods, and it still crashes, those errors there are genually mod errors.

Today i installed the XEH (extended event handlers) on my dedi server - removed the signature check 32 players on server for 9hours now with all kinds of mods - not a single crash smile_o.gif.

Think the XEH are a must to be installed on server for it to be stable with addons.

I banned all mods from our PvP server and Warfare played for hours, no crashes for 24 hours.

On our other server allowed mods but no warfare was played and it hasn't crashed for 24 hours.

Looks like Warfare doesn't like mods.

To remove Warfare from the server do i delite warfare.pbo and warfare.pbo.bi.bisign from the addons folder? is that it?

By just deleting the warfare pbos you might accidently delete the new buildings and units it brought into the game as well (See your mission editor. A bunch of new objects within a group called warfare.) and some of the maps you might play on your server in future could depend on these buildings. I'm not sure if they're really stored within warfare.pbo, you'll probably have to find it out yourself.

Well Never be too happy too early - 30 mins after i wrote my server was stable after installing XEH it crashed sad_o.gif

It seems its only crashing on the large maps (warfare, capture the island, all kinds of evolution), and when it crashed no players with mods had connected within the last 30mins.

I think there is still some kind of memory-bug (speculation).

Large maps/many players/server running long time = CRASH

Both servers running:

Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo

Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo.SLX_XEH2.bisign

plants.pbo

trees_fixed.pbo.bk

Server GamingSA.com

No Warfare but mods allowed still running.

Quote[/b] ]

0.000: NetLogger: start - Sat May 24 09:45:51 2008

0.000: Clk(1861950000)

6.716: ArmA version: 1.14

6.743: 9:45:57 Dedicated host created.

Server GamingSA.com PvP Only

Running Warfare but no mods allowed still running.

Quote[/b] ]

0.000: NetLogger: start - Sat May 24 13:35:10 2008

0.000: Clk(1861950000)

3.683: ArmA version: 1.14

3.709: 13:35:13 Dedicated host created.

We think our crashes were addon based. Our server provider put our addons into a mod folder on the server and gave us a seperate start line. We are using the base start line so that no addons are running on the server however are allowing client side addons on our server. Our server has been running with no crashes for over 24 hours now.

Knock on wood.

<S>

Knight31

My server have no probs running for 24 hours without crash.

But with 20+ players all the time its a different matter, i would say average a couple of hours with 32 players and its "game over man, game over" (crash), with or without mods. Server doesnt lag any recources cpu or ram or bandwidth. Its very fustrating with theese crashes just as a good game is going crazy_o.gif

We need help.gif BIS

Dave the warfare server u have running with no crash - how many players does i have - is it running full 32players for many hours ?