Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

Grenada (OUF)

OUFLOGO.jpg

(Yes, that's our crappy logo...)

Hi folks,

NeoArmageddon and me are currently working on a mod called "Operation Urgent Fury"

This Mod is based on the US-Invasion of Grenada in 1983 (Article on Wikipedia)

This project is consists of two main parts:

The first part is the Island of Grenada which we're trying to keep as authentical as possible. Since the real Grenada has a dimension of 27x14 km, we had to scale it down to 80% of its original size, but it's still a huge piece of land and it is not possible to drive around the whole island without refueling.

By now we've already finished the main road net, and of course the island's terrain and satellitetexture.

If we keep on working with this speed, the island will be finished in 4-5 weeks. But we still have to decide whether we release this island before we've finished the campaign or not.

Well, pictures probably say more than my awkward description:

Click to enlarge (Pictures ~1MB)

Gouyave3_Kl.jpg

Inside of Gouyave

Gouyave2_Kl.jpg

In the heart of Gouyave

Flughafen2_Kl.jpg

An Airport under construction...

Flughafen1_Kl.jpg

Point Salines Int.

Flughafen3_Kl.jpg

Another Gouyave Picture

Picture of the Satellite Texture

As you may have noticed, I've created some own buildings, signs and other things. This reaches from Soccerstadiums over Tombstones to Golf Caddies...

Well, the second part is of course the campaign. Details will be announced later.

Looks nice, the airport building needs a bit of furniture or something inside but i know its Wip. wink_o.gif

I haven't been to granada but i think some of Armas buildings fit nice into the scenery togheter with your stuff and plans. smile_o.gif

About the logo you can always redo it later.

I think it's looking pretty sweet too! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to visit Grenada!

Abs

been to Grenada a lot during my travels, mostly sailing from true blue/prickly bay, north up the windwards, carriacou, union, mustique, etc.

some of the stock arma objects will fit in quite well, but St George is a very very colourful place in terms of Architecture.

photo_lg_grenada.jpg

as are a lot of the islands that make up the Grenadines. Obviously my travels were far post OUF, but I can't imagine the island has changed all that much, other than finishing the airport and 'modernising' it.

Also as I recall it, insanely dense jungle on the islands, once you get in from the coast and the plantations of various crops (mostly nutmeg as I recall)

good luck with the project, its rather interesting and something a little different.

[edit]

just looking at your early point salines picture, the coastline looks far too shallow and smooth. From what I recall sailing past that point, its all sheer rock and cliffs around that south western tip.

Hopeful you have a team that will be able to construct this island fully with "satisfiying amount" of object details. Maybe try resizing it even further?

How many (in percentage) areas are made as jungle/forest? You might try contacting other map creators for help and ideas - Nicholas made a great "bluefields" alpha map that contains great jungle and it is not that hard on CPUs. Not to mention experience with Schmalfelden map - procedure of thinning down forests wink_o.gif

Well....

Will you make Grenada and Cuban soldiers??

Seals ,USMC,ranger and 82th Airborne at that time??

And other heavy weapons??

I think it is a huge progress

"Heartbreak Ridge", with Clint Eastwood, was based on this operation, though it was the Rangers (I believe) and not the USMC that got pinned down on the top of the hill and had to call in an airstrike by phoning the Pentagon via a pirated telephone line.

Wow! Nice and surprising stuff, I'm waiting for this one! thumbs-up.gif

A lesser known fact: there was a fairly large contingent of Delta involved in the Op, operating from the Navy's Helo Carrier. They got shot up pretty bad when their Blackhawks encountered VERY heavy AAA fire whilst enroute to assault enemy positions around St. George.

As I know,Seals rescued the British Goverment leader,but were surrounded by Grenada soldiers...

Then marines came

A lesser known fact: there was a fairly large contingent of Delta involved in the Op, operating from the Navy's Helo Carrier. They got shot up pretty bad when their Blackhawks encountered VERY heavy AAA fire whilst enroute to assault enemy positions around St. George.

According to Eric L. Haney's book "Inside Delta Force" they

were sent to raid a prison but aborted when they discovered

it was abandoned. They did come under enemy fire, though.

One operator who habitually carried a toothbrush and paste

with him was hit, causing toothpaste to splatter all over the

place. It allegedly took them some time to work out what the

white goo was that was apparently coming out of his leg.

Looks good, you will have alot of fun, doing all the roads on the island. I starded grenadas, a while back, but gave up because of roads through. I collected many arials and period photos,

ive got a good areial of the radio station, were the seals landed, also ive created the whole Island based on DEM data, so height data is done.

@mpantel

We finished the roadnetwork 2 weeks ago.

@eagleusa

We are going to make new units  but first we want to finish the island.

@IceBreakr

I am making island since the early OFP days and Mondkalb and me are in touch with some other island creators. We want to make a lot of jungle on grenada. I am currently trying to place a dense jungle without loosing much performance. Mainly we will use arma palms and bushes so the VRam load will be small.

Here are some old pictures (older than 3 weeks):

Near the beach

Testing the vegetation

I was bout to say the same thing. Didn't he criticise the Blackhawk's and praise the Huey's? Or was it the other way round? It has been at least 3 years since I read it so my memory is hazy. Also, wasn't there something about a blinded soldier managing to hold off the enemy?

Anyway, it is a refreshing choice for a mod. Good luck with it.

I was bout to say the same thing. Didn't he criticise the Blackhawk's and praise the Huey's? Or was it the other way round? It has been at least 3 years since I read it so my memory is hazy. Also, wasn't there something about a blinded soldier managing to hold off the enemy?

Anyway, it is a refreshing choice for a mod. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the memory refresh... I was actually referring to Haney's book as well. I do remember it was the MH/UH-60's that got shredded on the ingress. I am fairly sure there were other casualties mentioned, more serious than the toothpaste explosion. In any case, it was one of the few documented SFOD missions that were written by one of the participating operators.

did you guys happen to find any good photos of the governor mansion? or closeups of the radio station, ? the only refrence i have for the mansion, is a rough map from a navyseal website, and try to match that with sat photos.

I believe National geographic (or was is Discovery?) did a good review of the assault. But I believe there is a satisfiying amount of info already on the www.

We have already some good material but if you have something, post it ir send me a pm... thats would be great.

BTW we will not make every building from grenada lifelike on our island. Its to much work. I think the most sahranibuildings are good enough for grenada.

I believe National geographic (or was is Discovery?) did a good review of the assault. But I believe there is a satisfiying amount of info already on the www.

one of the two, I recall watching it myself. It was rather horrendous though. I'm sure it was vaguely factual, but the actual reconstruction segments were just awful, as is the norm with these programs.

You guys might consider joining up with the Project 85 mod since all of their equipment is from that era. That way you could then contribute Cuban and Grenadan military units to the mod. Otherwise you will have ALOT of work for you to do in order to simulate all of the soldiers and equipment needed.

Anyways, just a thought.

Island looks great so far!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thats a good point Miles Tag.

@OUF Team:

My mod will cover this area and a campaign/ map of Grenada is planned. Why not joining up with me (USMC mod) and the Project '85 team.

who do i send, 100's of 1980s color photos of urgent fury to? ive got a 17meg zip file, would like to send it via email.

oh, and heres a little pic, of a test i did. had good sat map, and hight data, soon found out its gona be to much work to follow all the roads on the island, so i abandned it.

grenadatest.jpg

also incase you guys might not have known, this place has high res sat maps, of grenada, not google.

http://maps.live.com/

I tried to follow the crazy amount of roads, but thats not a good idea, it would be much better to be more creative about it. An exeption to follow sat maps is offcourse in key areas, like st george, pearls and Salinas airfiled, PRA base, Grenada radio station, ect. and also follow the main road, that circles the island.

also for good 80's highress photos, try searching here http://www.defenseimagery.mil/index.htm

"One Perfect Op" by Dennis Chalker covers the operation to defend Scoon's mansion from the SEAL perspective.

I'm not sure but I think it had some nice details if you were going to do it as a mission.