Sign in to follow this  
jawk2

Aicraft fight

Why there's no Anti aicraft for the helo and the aicraft?

In a real situation of war i dont know any army aircraft that ll not have at least one anti-flying missile... and chaff too. The gun fight-only like in OPF is unrealistic at least.

i suggest:

-missile that work on lock only (2 sec delay b4 lock on)

-chaff/decoy for a locked missile or stinger

-a threat indicator (u know the biip bip biiiiiiiiiiiip)

that ll not take too much CPU-charge, and make OPF more realistic

U can get the Apache and other western helos to fire stingers - but not see then on the ship - by using depbo and editing the config.cpp file (available in the editing centre) then re-stuffing a new pbo file as an add-on. i dont seem to be able to locate the pbo for the hind helo's though sad.gif

this is only a workaround - u cant see the missiles on the helo - so it sucks really - but at least u can shoot them.

the original content isn't in the addons folder - only the Upgrade pack content (If you have American Release, that includes Upgrades 1&2 which includes the Apache)

There are hand-held Strela and AA launchers, and there is also a SAM BMP. They have to lock on a target to hit it, but all you have to do is right-click, there is no delay.

I thinks chaff and flares from aircraft could be made with a script easily, but getting them to actually effect a missile would be something smile.gif

Hey guys, I've got a question on that topic. I was searching for some information about the russian assault helicopter KA-29 Helix B. I found plenty of information about that, but the standart weapon loadouts never contained AA missiles. It contained bigger (80 mm) and smaller unguided missiles, radio guided AT-6 anti-tank missiles, several additional guns (23 and 30 mm) and a 7,62 mm gatling-style machinegun in the nose of the helicopter. But never some kind of russian air-to-air missiles.

How do the fight agains enemy helicopters/aircraft? Do they only operate in combination with accompanying (?) other helicopters like KA-50/52 that are able to fight agains airborne targets?

Thanks in advance for some answers, PSC

In fact thi primary role of KA 29 is to deliver troops to battlefield and to support them with precise fire. In that time, when Ka 29 was develoepd there was no need for helicopter aremd with AA misiles becaue this role was reserved for jets  smile.gif

if you need any further info visit Federation of American Scientist, the biggest online databse of military systems and military related things.

And No, im not working for them. tounge.gif

(btw excuse my english)

Thanks Erex! In fact I've allready spend quite some time at www.fas.org researching on several topics. But this question interests me in general, since no helicopter in OFP has AA Missiles.

What happens when let's say a UH-60 meets a MI-17 in combat? Would they try to shoot down each other with unguided rockets? Or would they simply ignore the presence of the other one?  biggrin.gif

This question really interests me. Would be nice if anyone could answer it.

Thanks in advance, PSC

Talking of the Ka29 helix I've read that it's an incredably quiet helicopter in comaprison to the Mi8/Mi17 due to it's coaxial rotor system. Just an interesting fact, probally helps to keep it alive in a situation whereby it needs to get to a hotzone attracting as little fire as possible.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 02 2002,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talking of the Ka29 helix I've read that it's an incredably quiet helicopter in comaprison to the Mi8/Mi17 due to it's coaxial rotor system. Just an interesting fact, probally helps to keep it alive in a situation whereby it needs to get to a hotzone attracting as little fire as possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats right, It's coaxial rotor system elimantes the torque created by a single helicoptor rotor, so a tail rotor is not required. The tail rotor causes a lot of noise itself. The absence of this would make it very quiet. McDonnell-Douglas' NOTAR helo uses vectored air jet thrust to counter the torque, making it quiet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Mar. 03 2002,13:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 02 2002,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talking of the Ka29 helix I've read that it's an incredably quiet helicopter in comaprison to the Mi8/Mi17 due to it's coaxial rotor system. Just an interesting fact, probally helps to keep it alive in a situation whereby it needs to get to a hotzone attracting as little fire as possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats right, It's coaxial rotor system elimantes the torque created by a single helicoptor rotor, so a tail rotor is not required. The tail rotor causes a lot of noise itself. The absence of this would make it very quiet. McDonnell-Douglas' NOTAR helo uses vectored air jet thrust to counter the torque, making it quiet.<span id='postcolor'>

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Well, you know when a rotor truns, it creates torque. That torque will cause the helicopter to turn in the direcetion of the torque. To counter this a tail rotor is used to provide thrust to counter the torque to stop the helicopter from spining.

anim04.gif

This tail rotor makes a hell of a lot of noise. The coaxial rotor system has one main rotor spining clockwise, and the other main rotor spining anti-clockwise at the same rotational speed, thus countering the torque created by each other, so no tail rotor is needed.

ka50_4.jpg