Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

ArmA Editing Guide - English Version

Hello all,

The ArmA Editing guide is the advanced and totally updated version of the old OFP editing guide, which was written by Mr-Murray. This guide contains nearly all the information which is needed to create a great mission, whether you want to create a single-player or even a multiplayer mission. This guide has received the nickname editing bible, because the German community has used it as the same. With the German ArmA release in 2006, the ArmA Editing guide SE 1.01 version has been released as well....but in the German language only. That's why we decided to translate the whole guide into English.

Because I was already a translator for the German ArmA community website Mapfact.net, Mr-Murray came to me and asked me to translate the guide. I already did some work for him and so he knew that he could count on me. I said yes and this was the beginning of a very interesting period of time. While I was translating I decided to get a friend of mine on-board who lives in the USA and would be a great help for me. His name is Metal0130 and he´s living in the federal state of Oregon. His job was and is to check my translations. Then we met in Team Speak and went over it again. Because we already know each other, the work was and is very fun...hard but fun. Metal0130 did and still does great work, so I will use this post as well to say thank you....and I am looking for the guide of Game2.... biggrin_o.gif

The translation process began in the middle of 2007. While the translation was in progress, Mr-Murray decided to add a lot more information to the book to create an advanced version of the already existing 1.01 Version, called ArmA Editing Guide - Deluxe Edition. This new version contains exactly 335 pages of editing information. The special features of both versions are syntaxes which are explained by using examples, tables with class names for all weapons, units, vehicles for all parties, animation commands and action commands aso, aso, aso. The Deluxe Edition also has a syntax index and some more nice features.

But that version is unfortunately still a work in progress.....

The reason is that Mr-Murry has finished this guide only a few weeks ago. It hasnt been released in Germany yet. Most of the parts are already translated but some points are still missing. That´s the reason why we´re about to release the small book, aka SE 1.02 version, in the English language, soon. We hope that we can offer it within the next 2 weeks. Metal and I are checking the whole guide again for grammatical errors or other issues. Because I have a family and Metal has his own life next to ArmA as well, we just need that time.

You can download the German version, to see what is expecting you.

Download German ArmA Editing Guide

I will keep you posted about the final release date.

Regards,

MemphisBelle

Hi all

I have to say thanks to MemisBelle and Metal0130 because it

was and is a very heavy job to transalte such a book in English.

The small English build of the current available German build

1.02 will come within the next days. We only want to ensure

that everything is ok so that you´re be able for making great missions.

Both versions (German/English) will have the same

guide  version status 1.02 based on the game version status 1.09!!!

The forthcoming Deluxe Edition with exactly 335 pages

includes ALL patches and official Addons(Queens Gambit, etc).

You will find every class name of all weapons, units, vehicles,

animals, bullets, grenades, objects, plants, houses, ..., ... , ...

And a lot of more great features and knowledge.

Four indexes will help you to find answers for your questions.

- Big Guide Index

- Subject(Word) Index

- Syntax Index

- Chapter Index on every chapter start

Every page has a black chapter marker on the right side.

If you have questions don´t hesitate to ask wink_o.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Woohoo, I seriously cannot wait for this. This is great news! A massive thank you to all those involved in this project. notworthy.gif

Mmmmm, nothing like finding a good reason to get out of bed within 10 minutes of waking up (Coffee aside) thumbs-up.gif

I've been waiting for this.

Its not easy to build a mission using only trial and error.

I must admit that I've only been "playing" the editor, rather than the game itself and that for only a couple of months.

My favorite phrase is  'type anything expect nothing'.

Thanks, this is good news for beginners like myself...

Incredible job !

I've quickly read the german version and must say it's a real gold mine ! Now, waiting for the english version...

Thanks for your hard work !

Malick

Excellent work guys.

Thanks for all your time and effort on this. I know certainly it will make my life easier and help new players into ArmA.

Again thanks for your spare time.

Hi all

Thanks for your feedback wink_o.gif

You should see the big one(Deluxe Edition) it really great and

espacially complete! It includes nearly everything and I´m

looking forward to make it final for the English community, too.

But at 1st comes the "short one" 1.02.

Btw.: The fourthcoming release contains a lil´surprise wink_o.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Will the new release also contain descriptions of the new commands introduced in recent ArmA versions (such as toArray, toString etc.)?

@MadDogX

I´m afraid not, but a lot of other things.

We have a lot of commands in ArmA, so that it is very lavish

to consider each of them. But you can be sure that the most

of all will be available. Additional to that you´ll find a syntax

list with all (in the guide) used commands.

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Btw.: The fourthcoming release contains a lil´surprise wink_o.gif

Please tell us it's not THAT photo of you on holiday with the hamster?

Wtf is holiday? I´ve never heard about it. Is it something like vacation or an other word for hard work wink_o.gif

While the sun is shining is sitting in the office to make this guide final wink_o.gif

Surprise... hmm... it´s not a picture of me and my hamster wink_o.gif

can't wait for it! smile_o.gif yeah im in school sweeting it in a small room with 10 people working out graphics.. it hurts sometimes that the air gets so hot my brain can't think good sometimes tounge2.gif

Hey guys

Now we have reached the promised release week of the guide.

Everything is good and we are looking forward to release it during the next day!

Metal0130 and Matt Rochelle have nearly corrected 85% of the guide. The last 15%

will be done maybe today or tomorrow! All what I have to do is to add the last 15 %

to make it final.

We decided to involve Matt Rochelle into the correction progress to speedup the finalization.

Thanks a lot Matt for joining our team!

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Thanks Mr. Murray, I cannot wait. I've been waiting since the day you announced the guide. I've always failed when it came to editing and hope to reignite that spark that once made me want to learn.

Does anyone know if the scripting will be identical in Arma2? Reason I ask if that I don't know if I'll be willing to learn this 300 page guide just to have the knowledge lost in Arma2.

Thanks Mr. Murray, I cannot wait. I've been waiting since the day you announced the guide. I've always failed when it came to editing and hope to reignite that spark that once made me want to learn.

Does anyone know if the scripting will be identical in Arma2? Reason I ask if that I don't know if I'll be willing to learn this 300 page guide just to have the knowledge lost in Arma2.

Take a look at this thread.

The way I understand it, ArmA2 scripting should be pretty much the same, except that you must make sure you initialize your variables.

It may also be possible that .sqs scripts are completely dropped in favor of .sqf.

Edited by W0lle
url fixed

Hi all

I´m very buzy to make it final wink_o.gif

Please note!

The BIG one already includes the complete 1.14 content!!! tounge2.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Mission accomplished!

Yey \o/

I just want to say on behalf of Mr-Murray that this guide is Fantastic!

Ive even learnt alot from it and im sure many mission editors, begginers and advanced alike will also learn alot too..  notworthy.gif  thumbs-up.gif

Mission accomplished!

Erm, am I missing the download link or has it not been released yet, just finished? confused_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Mission accomplished!

Erm, am I missing the download link or has it not been released yet, just finished?   confused_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

i'm assuming that he meant that he finished the super large german version. i'm sure that the smaller english version is near complete and hopefully the translators will start on the larger version.

nevertheless, it's good to see mr. murray accomplish his goals. 'gratz bro!

No, it´s final! I am still waiting that Cervo of ArmedAssault.info will post it in his news.

I´ve sent him all what he need to release it.

Yours,

Mr-Murray