A-10 Flight Model Improvement Demonstrator

Guest RKSL-Rock

Flight Model Improvement Demonstrator

Original Model Made By BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

FM Tuned by RKSL-Rock of RKSL Studios

Released 08 May 08

Purpose

======

This isnt really meant to be a playable addon.  Its main purpose is to demonstrate that it is perfectly possible to change the handling of aircraft within ArmA to produce *reasonable* flight handling.

PLEASE NOTE:  This addon is purely for demonstration and testing purposes and is intended as a learning resource for addon makers.

This version has:

- Improved Acceleration

- Reduced take off distances

- Slower more stable pitch rate

- Adjusted roll rate

- Increased Lift

- More "positive" control response

- Does not bleed speed in a turn as fast as Stock values

****  It does not replace the stock A-10  ****

This addon only adds another A-10 in the editor list.

Archive Contents

=============

README.TXT

rksl-a10.pbo - binarised format

rksl-a10 Directory containing Source files: MLOD P3D, config and model.cfg.

Installation

========

Just copy the rksl-a10.pbo file into your addons folder OR mod folder of your choice.

On load up, goto the editor then BLUFOR > AIR > "A-10 (Improved FM)"

Technical - How its done

====================

The changes are simple but require some O2 knowledge.  Essentially its a reset of mass distribution

in the Geolod and a small config change.

CONFIG Changes are:

aileronSensitivity = 1;

elevatorSensitivity = 1;

envelope[]= {x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,X,X,X,X};

Model Changes:

Reset mass to 0 in Geo Lod.

Addition of 4 "trim blocks" in the geometry.

Add total mass to all objects.

Reassign 90% of the mass to the "trim blocks".

Move the trim blocks around to place the CofG in the desired spot.

PBO and test.  Adjust the trim block positions as required.  Do NOT use the Sensitivity values in the config for

major changes.  

To increase the roll rates - move the left and right trim blocks close to the centre line.

To decrease the roll rates - move the left and right trim blocks further from the centre line.

To increase the Pitch rates - move the fore and aft trim blocks closer to the CofG.

To decrease the Pitch rates - move the fore and aft trim blocks further from the CofG.

Yaw rate/sensitivity can be affected in similar ways but generally means the AI cannot use the aircraft.

Use the geo LoD to affect the handling until you are close to what you want then

use the Sensitivity values to fine tune the handling.

I will post a proper tutorial at some point later on.

Have fun

Rock

RKSL Studios 08/05/08

WWW.RKSLSTUDIOS.INFO

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------

*********** Important Please Read and Understand ***********

This addon is released in line with the BIS MLOD EULA and Policy as it contains BIS Intellectual property and materials.  You must Respect their EULA if you want to use or modify these files.

To distribute or modify or use this particular Model in any way, you must agree to the following license:

THE LICENSE

============

1) Bohemia Interactive grants to you a personal, nonexclusive License to

open, modify and distribute the ArmA Sample Models for the purpose of

designing, developing, testing, and producing non-commercial game content

for PC game ArmA and its sequels or expansion packs.

2) You acknowledge and agree that you will not commercially exploit any

game content you may created using the models without Bohemia Interactive

prior written permission.

3) Bohemia Interactive doesn't give you permission to exploit ArmA Sample

Models in any other way, especially not to convert them for use in any other

game or engine than ArmA or its sequels and expansion.

4) If you create and distribute a work based on the ArmA Sample Models you

must license the entire work, as a whole, under this License to anyone who

will be using it. This License gives no permission to license the work in

any other way, but it does not invalidate such permission if you have

separately received it.

5) Should you derive any addon or content from this addon or information we

ask you to credit RKSLStudios.info in your documentation for helping improve your own addons.

*****Addons makers don’t get cash they get credit!  Support them!*****

Mirrors:

DOWNLOAD 1 @ RKSLStudios.info - 4,967 KB

DOWNLOAD 2 @ Armaholic.com- 4,967 KB

DOWNLOAD 3 @ ArmedAssault.info - 4,967 KB

DOWNLOAD 4 @ ePrison.de - 4,967 KB

Awesome initiative! This should be interesting.

great stuff, in the past the a10 needs to be fly careful inorder to keep it in the air, now it can finally hit a target without worring too much, it feels like a tank killer it means to be now

should be a good example on how to make plane fly correctly(to a point)in ARMA

Great work ! About to try it now. I have been waiting for something like this for AGES.

[TAO] Kremator

Can't someone send this to suma or any responsible person at bis, so we can have the improvements in the final patch for Arma?

But hurry, its just a few days off.

Best Regards, Christian

Can't echo mr.g-c's sentiments enough. confused_o.gif

Needs to be implemented as an official patch as has been said.

Or ... please make a mod like this that covers most aircraft smile_o.gif

Yeah this would be a nice eddiction to the new patch, also will save BIS the time and effert of doing it. Or an replacement will have to be in order.

I'm suitably impressed Rock, mate.

It's nice to have an aircraft that I'm confident wont end up going arse-first into the ground when I pull up, out of a strafing run; even with my atrocious piloting skills. smile_o.gif

I'm anxious to see how the other 30-odd aircraft you've got on the go handle. Good work!

Guest RKSL-Rock
I'm suitably impressed Rock, mate.

It's nice to have an aircraft that I'm confident wont end up going arse-first into the ground when I pull up, out of a strafing run; even with my atrocious piloting skills. smile_o.gif

I'm anxious to see how the other 30-odd aircraft you've got on the go handle. Good work!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Glad you are enjoying it.

I should point out you can use this method on helicopters too.

@Da12 ask Chris, he's got a few of them smile_o.gif The Hawk T2 MP dogfight we had was funny as f*** until he shot me down.

Its 25 fixed wing, 7 Helicopters and 4 UAVs so far smile_o.gif

I'd like to see the helo flight model improved so that you could make quick evasive actions and so that it was more difficult to balance, like in the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 or the Battlefield 2 that it inspired.

Captain Adam Moore informed me that helicopters have a moving center-of-gravity.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I'd like to see the helo flight model improved so that you could make quick evasive actions and so that it was more difficult to balance, like in the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 or the Battlefield 2 that it inspired.

Captain Adam Moore informed me that helicopters have a moving center-of-gravity.

Helicopters can benefit in exactly the same way.  Our Lynx, Merlin, Puma and quite a few others all use the same method of trim at the A-10 above, with some tweaks depending on airframe shape etc but the method is essentially the same.

As for moving CofG: I think you've been misinformed.  From my experiments and experience with our aircraft I can’t see any evidence of it.  ArmA engine appears to use the position and mass layout from the moment the addon is initialised.  Animating parts of the Geo Lod has no significant effect on handling from what I can see.

The only other possibility would be that it’s coded into the engine itself but again I don’t really see any evidence of that.

I just did the comparison test.

First the normal A-10 and flew that and tried my best to crash it.

( biggrin_o.gif haha dont) And then the improved one, and its much better,

especially the rollrate and the rudder combined is much better.

And I have to say it flies very different now. After just flying over smallfelden, its allmost lockon.

Even thoughts is a tutorial model, Im going tankhunting in a few! smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

And do you perhaps want to share a few screenshots with us in the RKSL thread of those ??

Quote[/b] ]25 fixed wing, 7 Helicopters and 4 UAVs so far
crazy_o.gifhuh.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Can't someone send this to suma or any responsible person at bis, so we can have the improvements in the final patch for Arma?

Best Regards, Christian

QFT smile_o.gif

Best Regards, Christian

QFT smile_o.gif

Ok i have now wrote him a PM. Lets see what happens...

Much better pitch/roll on it. Smooth as silk  biggrin_o.gif

Absolutely something BI should consider editing. smile_o.gif

As I send my reply originally into another related topic by mistake, I repost it here for easy navigation, together with the reply:

I tested it briefly and it seems to me the stall speeds are way too low now - with this FM the A10 now is able to take off and fly at 145 km/h (aprox. 80 kts) with no flaps extended. I guess the envelope change is perhaps a little too drastic?

In the same area, it seems to me the takeoff distance needed is now unrealistically short as well - which is perhaps caused by the same change?

Well that’s easy to fix.  It only needs a value change in the config to get to back to the right stall speed.  But to be honest the old one had a horrible tendency to stall even in basic maneuvers which was unrealistic for an aircraft designed to operate at slower speeds. The handling characteristics should remain the same even after tweaking the stall speed.

Goddamn Rocko...

Told you to stay off this...Now, dont think you can

stop here... biggrin_o.gif

(Hypnotizing) Finish youuuuur adddooooonn coooooolection

rofl.gif

PS: Will try this at home...

notworthy.gif

This sounds like a very good improvement and tech proof of concept.

However positive I may be about this idea, is BIS going to include this in any future patch ? Maybe Suma can answer ?

From experience, such modifications and what the community described as 'improvements' never made their way in a patch (with maybe the exception of the "fire over sandbags" bugfix).

I can only hope Suma will prove me wrong, but rather doubt it. The community can, on the other hand, release a complete replacement pack (very much like SLX did for vehicles with animated parts) for all aircraft. Which is, as previously noted, quite a large amount of work, isn't it ?

Malick

Great addon, BIS change with the patch 1.11 or 1.09 of the flight model airplanes, and now almost can not fly with them. This addon correcting a big mistake, thank you very much.