Sign in to follow this  
Burt

Iraq-Iran War: T-55QM

Hello everyone. I have been learning to model in O2, and I decided that I am going to make my first real addon. I have been thinking of making an Iraq-Iran War addon pack. If I get good at it, I will try to turn it into a large mod.

Anyway, for now I am working on a Iraqi T-55QM tank. It's main gun fires 105mm NATO rounds and it has a mounted 12.7 anti-air gun. I am still learning, so this will probaly take a while. I just wanted to see what people thought of the idea.

Very rough WIP of the hull. What do you guys think?

ArmA2008-05-1011-18-53-81.jpg

Iraq T-55QM

What I need:

-High resolution blueprints and technical specifications

-Someone who can texture(just not right now, once I have a model)

I hope these links will help you out for the model.

Blueprint 1

" 2

" 3

Thanks man, those pictures are great.

But be aware: the pictures/blueprint do not show a T-55QM.

Right, but it seems like the only differences between the T-55 and the Iraqi T-55QM is a 105mm main gun rather than a 100mm gun, and a laser range finder. I was planning on doing to hull first and then adding the turret once I do more research. Is this possible to do in O2?

A copy of the Russian operator's manual for the T-55 is

available from the "Snickers" website (there is a competition

going on just now to win a ride in Mr. T's T-55 tank).

(in Mr.T's voice) Download it here, sucker!

It has some interesting drawings of the interior, ammo

stowage, optics, various parts etc.

Sounds good!

But remember if you're going to make this Iraq specific, you'll need to make everything else to go with it, ie Iraqi crew, other Iraqi vehicles, then Iranian opfor too, there is an Iraq/iran border map though, I think.

An Iraqi tank all by itself might not see the usage it deserves.

I imagine a few variants would be easy enough to make, once the basic model is done? Then you could perhaps have a generic guerrilla version, SLA version, Soviet version etc that would definitely see a lot of use.

RHS did a great job with their T-55 pack in OFP.

Well that's my 2 cents anyway. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. smile_o.gif

Edit: spelling

Really nice initiative!

Good luck and good inspirations! wink_o.gif

Iraq had a T-55 variant that used 105mm NATO ammo?  Didn't know that.  Interesting. However I don't think that was a common tank in the Iraqi Army. I would suggest that you also make the standard T-55's as well as the uparmored variants (The Engima) that were more common.

The good thing about doing such a model is that it can easily be converted into the other Iraqi variants as well as an Iranian T-55 variant...The Iranian version just needs the original 100mm cannon put back on and a bunch of ERA packed on it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Iraq had a T-55 variant that used 105mm NATO ammo?  Didn't know that.  Interesting.   However I don't think that was a common tank in the Iraqi Army.  I would suggest that you also make the standard T-55's as well as the uparmored variants (The Engima) that were more common.

The good thing about doing such a model is that it can easily be converted into the other Iraqi variants as well as an Iranian T-55 variant...The Iranian version just needs the original 100mm cannon put back on and a bunch of ERA packed on it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

They did have a T-55 variant using the 105mm (T-55QM) NATO ammo as well as one with a Russian 125mm (T-55QM2) both which you pointed out wasnt very common and i dont know how many they had to be exact but i wouldnt have thought too many.

I imagine a few variants would be easy enough to make, once the basic model is done? Then you could perhaps have a generic guerrilla version, SLA version, Soviet version etc that would definitely see a lot of use.

I remember last year Torni was making a T-55 pack for ArmA but it never was released (thread here). Maybe you could team up or check out his work or something like that?

I'd imagine that Iran would have operated some of those

too. Iran had the Royal Ordnance L7A1 105mm gun as

a legacy of Britain's support of the Shah. Britain sold them

a lot of essential military stuff in the late 70s like ships,

guns, tanks (Chieftain! ), electronic equipment, Mars bars

and Rolos.

What practical difference would there be in the game

between a 100mm and a 105mm gun, though? A few more

or less "hit points"?

I'd imagine that Iran would have operated some of those

too. Iran had the Royal Ordnance L7A1 105mm gun as

a legacy of Britain's support of the Shah. Britain sold them

a lot of essential military stuff in the late 70s like ships,

guns, tanks (Chieftain! ), electronic equipment, Mars bars

and Rolos.

or less "hit points"?

Iran did operate modified T-55s that they had captured from the Iraqis.

I was planning on making the main gun more powerful.

or less "hit points"?

Range, firepower, muzzlevelocity, reliability.

or less "hit points"?

Range, firepower, muzzlevelocity, reliability.

Yes, those are factors pertaining to the real guns. How many

of those are significant, or even simulated, in the game?

Sounds good!

But remember if you're going to make this Iraq specific, you'll need to make everything else to go with it, ie Iraqi crew, other Iraqi vehicles, then Iranian opfor too, there is an Iraq/iran border map though, I think.

An Iraqi tank all by itself might not see the usage it deserves.

Well that's my 2 cents anyway. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. smile_o.gif

Edit: spelling

@Chops,

I want to do a full Iraq-Iran War Mod, but before I commit to that, I would like to put out at least one good addon.

If it turns out well, you can plan on other variants.

I actually saw one of these tanks. The guns are actually chineese copies of the L7 gun. If there are any troops on here stationed at Taji get a picture of the last T55 from the back row next to the wall in the boneyard. I crawled all over that thing. (then they warned us about DU). Its real alright. But the majority of the T55 and Type 69 tanks with this armor package had the 100mm gun.

Do you have any pictures of it? That would be great.

its a east german T-55AM2

Range, firepower and muzzlevelocity.

Dont forget accuracy! wink_o.gif

Each and every gun in Arma has a certain dispersion, you can even give different firing modes (semi, burst, auto) different dispersions.

This might be of use if you want to build a T55 "Enigma".

Well, I'm thinking of scratching the "T-55QM" idea, and just making an Iraqi or Irani T-55. I might add Soviet skins later. I am planning on doing the Enigma as my second addon. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Quote[/b] ]very early WIP

gonna be a new forum record rofl.gif some wierd deformed shape that is already called tank wip...