Sign in to follow this  
Mateck

Mateck's M1A1 (HA)

Something that bugs me:

The dark angles making up two squares on the front of the turret are velcro for the IFF panel you've stuck to the right side of the turret. Why did you decide to put it there?

Hrm..well I'm impressed with the FLIR ability in Arma a bit more now to say the least, I'll gladly take a few extra textures to have that effect, how is it done exactly anyway?

Hmm, isn't it just a great big white texture that shows up only in FLIR more? It certainly looks good. thumbs-up.gif

I'm wondering how far it can be pushed without trashing performance? Like say, realistic heat signatures for vehicles - cooler hulls, warmer suspension, hot engine block only visible from certain directions etc. Obviously it'd be over the top to make a full IR system with all the terrain and objects showing up at different temperatures (which would dramatically go up and down like a tank's will as they heat up and cool down), but some sort of way of making the IR signatures of vehicles blend in better might be cool, people are generally big white blobs but vehicles all have hot and cold bits that you can use to identify them. Course SF forces with IR blocking skin paint might also be a good idea. smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh yah, also at the moment do vehicles show up when their engine is off?

Hmm, isn't it just a great big white texture that shows up only in FLIR more? It certainly looks good.  thumbs-up.gif

It looks like a lightsource to me. You can still see the original textures there. And the ground is lit up a bit. It's not the first time I've seen that method.

Using a texture would create some complex problems that are not worth working around.

You will never see realistic FLIR in ArmA or even anything matching the VBS2 FLIR done in a way that is useful. Yes, I am that confident about it tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I'm wondering how far it can be pushed without trashing performance?

Not very far wink_o.gif

Anyway, I'm sure people will enjoy it the way it is. That's about as realistic as FLIR will ever be in ArmA smile_o.gif

The tanks are looking good there.

Well since the white image is what we see the most and this would mostly be used at ranges..why not make the white textures half the size of their originals or even less to save on performance?

Maddmatt is right. It is light source. The same method was used in XAM. We used some scripts from that mod, without permissions at this moment wink_o.gif

Scripts needs to be optimized as FLIR is a bit laggy. At this moment we just focused on making it work.

Defining white textures for different parts of the vehicles would be best way to have FLIR in ArmA. I think it is possible with use of setObjectTexture command, but it would required modifications in all game models.

Hmmmm....each method has its quirks though personally I would look further into the light source method and see if its possible to make it run smoother as it would bring out the most vibrant effect.

Otherwise you would have to darken and brighten the white texture accordingly which I don't think everyone would be up for. Plus that would cause some problems for default destruction models since a damage texture is used and not a "different" texture if you get my meaning.

is this flir only going to be for the tanks? cause it would be very nice to have it in all vehicles and specially the fight helicopters. i really do hope it will be for all vehicles

Very great work from you guys, i really looked forward to this, a few people who know what to do.

It would be great to have this FLIR thing in as you already done, the modern tanks. Also in the helis, aint sure if any of the helicopters in ArmA not equipped with it for real.

Then it would be great to have it in the TOW system, not sure about the colours but for the swedish system Rb 56, not TOW, we have red and Black for thermal sight.

For tanks and helis it is like you done, white.

Everything that makes the game more realistic are more then welcome

FLIR looks absolutely amazing guys smile_o.gif

Any ETA for the next release? (a matter of weeks, or several months?)

Will the next release both include the custom texture feature, as well as the FLIR system? Oh, and the fixed replacement pack?

Can't wait thumbs-up.gif

FLIR looks absolutely amazing guys smile_o.gif

Any ETA for the next release? (a matter of weeks, or several months?)

No ETA on release date. We want this addon to fit multiplayer standards so good config is essential.

Quote[/b] ]Will the next release both include the custom texture feature, as well as the FLIR system? Oh, and the fixed replacement pack?

Answer is: Yes for all tounge2.gif

Sounds great T_bone, It's really apreciated that you put in much work to ensure a solid config and multiplayer compatibility thumbs-up.gif

This looks superb with FLIR too ... nice thumbs-up.gif

BTW: T_bone .. every time I see your name I think of food and bacon crisps wow_o.giftounge2.gif

I hadn't checked all the replys but will the T72 be comparable with the M1A1 in terms of the armor and hit values? The reason I ask is because I'm working on a Wafare edit and would like to implement your next version of this into the mission but want to be sure the sides a have equal chance of taking eachother out.

Tricky question ;p Old M1 will be pretty much equal with T-72. T-72 AV will be something between M1 and M1A1 (HA) in terms of armor (There will be no IP M1 yet). M1A1 (HA) will be the most powerfull tank in this pack since there is no T-72B.

But im sure that these differences wont be as big as in the last pack since we will base on BIS values.

And you have to remember that replacement pack will use normal config of BIS M1A1 and T-72.

So if I got that right, the old M1 from your first version will be pretty much equal to the T72 in this version?

Ah.... So as I then understand it, the T72 that is included in the newer version of the pack is much weaker than the M1A1 including firepower and armor? If so, I guess I'll just have to find a different M1A1 as I'm going for balance in this MP mode and don't want East players getting all mad because their opposing team has better everything.

Ah.... So as I then understand it, the T72 that is included in the newer version of the pack is much weaker than the M1A1 including firepower and armor? If so, I guess I'll just have to find a different M1A1 as I'm going for balance in this MP mode and don't want East players getting all mad because their opposing team has better everything.

Might be hard to find... sad_o.gif

The US-tanks of the same time period are usually regarded as heavier armored and equipped with better ammunition. confused_o.gif

I tried to counter Mateck's first released M1A1 (HA) with my T-72 ERA, but a M1A2 style tank would stay the king of the battlefield smile_o.gif

So the east tactics include flank manouvers, supporting arti etc, while a west tank is able to attack head on without additional support... in game wink_o.gif

I usually equip the AT-infantry with RPG7V instead of the normal RPGs. They give a better punch than the west AT4's.

So the infantry might equal the lack of the tank's amour / ammunition.

i like the addon but there is one thing that bugs me that is that i need to shoot 4 sabot rounds to make a t72 explode when that same t72 can take me out with one ( so much damage that my tank explodes after awhile ) same thing with javs i need 2 to shoot t72 and they need 1 for me. this is because they dont have the addon. i really like the addon but is there a way to remove that ?(even manualy perhaps ) it is realistic that sabot doesnt destroy the full tank but only the part that it hits but it gives you a disadvantage i think that that would only be nice if everyone had it

hope the post is understandable

Version 0.95 is not optimized for ArmA version 1.14. Especially the armor values.

Also replacement pack is bugged and shouldn't be used in multiplayer game wink_o.gif

I'm working on new version but that may take some time sad_o.gif

Could be too busy working on things to post any updates, or maybe there are no updates right now. Real life, vacation, family, work--all possible reasons for no word from their front. As any moderator will tell ya, if there are any updates, they will post them as the updates come in. smile_o.gif

While I'm at it posting in this thread, I was watching a pretty neat video from OFP of a M1A1 (or was it A2?) that had some nice interiors and such--I think KingHomer or something along those lines made it. I was wonder if it would be something that could be considered in the future? I could only imagine all the complexities involved, but figured I'd take a wild stab in the dark and at least ask. <hides under desk>

*edit* Found the video I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridctOCD1iA&fmt=18

Did this Project Die huh.gif??  ....... Been a while since anything new..

Just check Mateck's last post just above yours.

I'm working on new version but that may take some time sad_o.gif

"may take some time" is probably a bit more than a 3 weeks. Just a thought.

I doubt he's left, especially with out hearing so from him or others. He's helping on other projects so that news probably would've gotten here by now.

Between this, other ArmA projects and most of all life, it's probably safe to assume it's alive. Maybe not active, but alive.

He's been around, I believe. Maybe this might catch his eye and he can assure you it's still a WIP. Otherwise, I'm only speculating so I could be wrong. I wish I could tell you otherwise. sad_o.gif

As a betting man though, I'm pretty sure.  whistle.gif  pistols.gif

.....<hides under desk>

pistols.gif

Damn it. Just missed you. wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Now back to my point.

Absolutely bud! I'd love to see that as well. Christ I completely forgot about those. I think your right, it could be a bitch to do but damn it would go well with these.  thumbs-up.gif

If not Mateck, maybe one of the other geniuses around here would be up to the task. It's times like this that I wish I could do this sort of thing. It may take a good amount of free time but I'd love to have it and get it out for others as well.

Maybe I should try sometime but s#!t where would I begin? huh.gif