Sign in to follow this  
SaOk

SP Fly Like An Eagle

It is just great!

This mission brings the OFP soul back!!

I advise to everybody to play this mission.I spent my two evenings for completing this mission.

Thank you for this great mission!!

- I managed it to get to the point where after clearing the compound I have to clear the defensive position in Eponia (which I did) and then to wait for air support. So Seize and hold Eponia. I seized it and there happens nothing for about 90 min now. sad_o.gif

- So i took an UAZ and drove around to see what happens around:

- I drobe to the Evac zone but nothing happend

- I found near Mercalillo a BMP and two trucks and blew them up

- Then I drove in he direction of Tandag beyond the barrier (of course killing first the guards) and something very strange happens there:

On passo San Andres artillery is shelling the top of the hill all the time (permanent). There is a wreck of a vehicle (maybe a Shilka) I mean already for more than 60 min!! Is this a bug?

- Why doesn't the mission go on when I seized and hold Eponia? What is supposed to happen to go on?

Of course I'm running a lot of addons like SLX and ECS (SLX with no manoeuver, so units don't call other units, so the mission should not break)

Any idea why I can't go on? I think I first have to get the order to get to the Evac zone, right?

PS. Besides this, marvelous mission, with full freedom of movement and tactics!

Sometimes the evac chopper dosent arrive. It could crash to trees on the way or it possible that I have added some new bug to updated versions. I try to fix it (or get it better) in next version - 1.5. Before the evac chopper arrives. There should be airsupport choppers and a enemy counter which "unlock" the evac chopper when it goes to three or less.

BTW. There shouldnt be any artillery in the mission. I have no idea what is happening at San Andres pass. :S

Ok, I found out that it is not artillery but simply the vehicles that exploded once, explode permanently, this happens with all the vehicles in Eponia...But it didn't happen before in this mission it started after the satchel charges have been blown up by the engineer. The air support doesn't come. I had a radio message that some armor is moving north, and I should wait for air support. It never comes...

In Eponia there are definitely no enemy units, I blew up everything, (including the houses) and still no evac chopper is coming... weird.

PS. I blew up an UAZ in the prisoners camp, and it explodes normally, doesn't explode permanently...

...mission wont end here. Everything was destroyed in eponia with zero enemies remaining, then the evac chopper arrives as expected but the command allowing my team to board the chopper never comes and if I give the command myself and we enter the chopper and start flying away the mission says we're not allowed to leave the area and we are instantly killed and the mission ends as a loss.

Not sure if this helps you or not but the satchels which were planted by the engineer were never actually detonated after we first arrived at eponia...I figured that was ok and meant to be since it left us the fenced in area to use as a defensive barracade...if they WERE supposed to be detonated then maybe thats why the mission never ended...also before I made it to the end the mission was reloaded several times from a "save"...i know sometimes missions break after loading from "saves", not sure if thats whats happening here though.

Other than it not getting the "ok" to enter the evac chopper and ending, everything else seemed to work just fine though and I thought it was a nice mission...a fresh and simple idea wth a short and to the point storyline which didnt detract from the action. The only bad point is that the friendly AI isnt much help at the end in eponia as they get themselves killed so easly and do stupid things but thats an Arma problem and has nothing to do with your work itself. I had to just leave them all in the fenced in area while I ran around getting 80% of the kills myself. If it werent for that it would have felt alot more realistic...again not your problem there...hopefully the AI in Arma 2 will make single player experiences alot better :-)

...nice mission, thanks for the work!

Kroky, did you complete the task to secure position in Eponia? It requires to kill all few enemies in the town. There is small 1-2 man outpost on both roads leading out (not to the mountain road) and two small squads patrolling streets. And there is some men usually in inner yard near medic tent. After you have found all of those then a counter should appear showing 9 minutes time for big enemy assault.

BigShot, when the evac chopper (UH60 with rockets - not the first one with mgs) comes and lands then you need to order group in yourself (a hint displays). You could leave sf members out but all alive pows, gunny, grim and you have to be in the chopper before mission ends with evac chopper still on ground.  

Satchels never explode. If engineer dies and it orders you to do it then you just have wait 40 seconds and mission continues even if you didnt set any satchels.

I am finishing 1.5 version. I will upload it soon after testing if all goes good.

the evac chopper never landed on its own, it just keeps circling around the area while we wait for it to land, but it never lands by itself. The only way i could get it to land was to give my troops the order to board it, then it landed, we got it and it took off.

Choppers that have to land on their own in missions for getin commands can be pretty buggy at times in Arma...for whatever reason they tend to be unreliable...you might want to change the criteria slightly for the mission ending trigger so its not relying on other triggers...dunno if it is because i havent unpacked and looked at it...but theres definately something up with the UH60 and getting it to land on its own accord

...it may be an idea to set the ending trigger more simply by having the mission end when the chopper flies away and crosses over a trigger area and have it tied to either the group leader or all members of the group if you prefer. If you really want to make it easier for yourself you can make it end as soon as the player boards the chopper...but make the trigger independent so its not relying on other triggers...this is ok because the chopper doesnt come until the mission is theoretically over anyway.

...just trying to help because the first mission i ever made for Arma had the same sort of ending where all members have to enter a landing UH-60 to get the mission to end...and i cant tell you how many hours i had to mess with it to get it all to work ok...its a very buggy Arma routine...or at least it was way back before version 1.05, lol...i got it to work and it still works to this day but i had to come up with some inventive ways to make it more reliable.

***EDIT*** - nevermind, i just realized you are saying there are 2 UH-60's...i only can remember seeing 1 show up after all enemy is dead...not sure if it had rockets or not so now im assuming there was a 2nd uh60 which should have showed up?...if so then you need to take a long look at those triggers because either theyre not triggering reliably or it's a "save" bug.

I am using "unitready pilotname"-command to check when pilot is at destination and then giving chopper "choppername land "getin""-command to land. It have worked really good

In the mission there comes first 2 AH7Z´s and 1 UH60mg to clear the town. Evac chopper (UH60 with rockets) arrives later when there is less than 3 enemies in town.

as a said already...there were less than 3 enemy left...z1's came in and killed another 1 or 2 enemy so that makes zero enemy left...a few minutes later a UH60 shows up which circles the town endlessly without landing and with nothing to shoot at...the mission wouldnt end due to this...so its not working as reliably as you might think...i dont really mind...was just trying to let you know and help out is all...

Sorry, I forgot that. Its possible then that evac chopper is crashed before arriving to Eponia or some script/trigger is corrupted. I´ve tried more to prevent the chopper crashing in 1.5 version which I am currently testing throught.

Version 1.5 is finally available. I had problems to find a host for the file before I found out that filefront is free.

Look first post for download and version details.

Awsome mission!!!

When you get shot down and the SF find you, are you suppose to go alone with your crew members, or are you suppose to go with the SF, who don't seem to be going anywhere?

You need to go near to SF leader when they arrive to launch a cutscene (he will be standing near the abandoned camp). After that SF group should move to mission area. You could follow them or find own way for your group.

I will test that part again if there is something wrong.

Edit: I tested it and all seems to work good for me.

Its really hard to say what is causing that. The script which makes the cutscene also gives SF their "move"-order. It could be rare arma bug or related to extra addons/mods (if you have some). I have many extra addons installed too but not anything that changes AI. Restarting the mission or loading a savegame before the forest could help.

great mission, well done!

i'm editing it a bit: changing everything to ACE stuff, AH-1Zs changed to HMW AH-64... left to change only bluefor soldiers to bdu camo wink_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif

P.S. can't wait for 2nd part of this mission.

@Gedis: If you get that done (ACE version) please share it! smile_o.gif

I dig this mission too. Very very nice one! Tried with ACE and it didnt work too good lol.

Thanks

/Alex

Enjoying this mission a lot, freeing the POW's

at the camp helping SF guys, no real problems

to report.

Only pickup of SF guys didn't work when chopper was

damaged, used repair truck at camp and they got in...

SF need specially cleaned and polished choppers i guess wink_o.gif

Anyway great, great mission!

Thanks

72 @ Mar. 11 2009,02:56)]@Gedis: If you get that done (ACE version) please share it! smile_o.gif

I dig this mission too. Very very nice one! Tried with ACE and it didnt work too good lol.

Thanks

/Alex

well, for that I would need to get permissions from original authors, so basically it's only for personal use...

lol, i even had to add ace chinook for last evac, since I lost only 1 soldier and ~20 soldiers can't fit in black hawk... (over 2hours of none stop saving smile_o.gif )

Thank you all for kind words.  smile_o.gif

@Getis: You may freely upload that ACE version but only link it to this forum for now (and include the orginal readme). There will be updates for the orginal mission in future.

BTW. Let me know if you have some ideas for the upcoming updates. All bigger ideas for new features are welcome too.

great mission, well done!

i'm editing it a bit: changing everything to ACE stuff, AH-1Zs changed to HMW AH-64... left to change only bluefor soldiers to bdu camo wink_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif

P.S. can't wait for 2nd part of this mission.

Wow thanks Gedis I was just about to do that one of these days. I can't wait to try it.

And thanks to saok for the mission and letting Gedis release an ACE version.

ok, here's what i have achieved in  limited time:

Fly like An Eagle (SP) (ACE+HWM) v.1.5.1

<span style='color:red'>This modified mission requires these addons</span>(FOR THOSE LAZY ONES, WHO DOESN'T READ THE README):

Lowfly's EditorUpdate v1.02 - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=953

ACE v1.04 - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki....eleases

HWM Apaches - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4990

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>All credits for this great mission and concept goes to SaOk & savedbygrace</span></span>

<span style='color:white'><span style='font-size:5pt;line-height:100%'>P.S. modified by Gedis(find me if you can ;P)</span></span>

Really enjoyed this mission!

Also have to point out the voice-acting and the military lingo, sounded authentic and professional.

Hope to see more missions from you guys.

(btw, first post, hi all  smile_o.gif  )

Thank you Gedis. I linked your modification to first post , but should it require also HWM_Units Version 3.0, HWM_Vehicles Version 3.0 and Extended eventhandlers as in HWM Apaches download link? I added those to first post just in case.

@subtee, hello and welcome to biforums. smile_o.gif

Thank you for your using our mod in creating a mission. I'll download and defenetely give a try.

EDIT.

We provide a mirror for the modifed version in HWM Webiste Download Section

Download Here

I couldn't play the mission, everything begun OK, i saw the intro video, i got my orders and boarded into chopper, but when mission started loading after the intro, i get an error that missind mercenaries_DB1.pbo. Is that Quenn's Gambit related or something? icon_rolleyes.gif

Cause i don't have Queen's Gambit. sad_o.gif