Sign in to follow this  
monty67t

Game Froze

also random freezing problem here too.

Asus Striker II Extreme

2 gigs ram

Intel E8500

Asus gx2 card

Game will play for 30 minutes, sometimes 1 hour then freeze solid requiring hardboot. Noticed it can be dependent on addons. Tried the HIfi sound mod and it froze consistently until removal. Thinking it may be sound issue.

I have the issue where it freezes for 30+ seconds and sometimes goes crazy (white, scrambled textures, tree or bush texture repeating 4 times)

I have XP32, 4gb Ram, E6600.

The issue seems to be the video card. If I have a 7950 in it, it doesn't happen, solid as a rock. (can play for hours) If I put in a 8800GTX or 9800GT, the problem occurs. (30-60mins) I think its either Nvidia drivers or some compatibility issue with the latest GPU architecture.

If I press alt-tab while its locked up, and wait like 60 seconds, sometimes it will go back to windows ok and then I can get back in the game. But once it occurs it seems to get worse and more frequent. Also, after I have exited ARMA, even my 3d pipes screensaver is locked up if it comes on. So to me, that would imply a problem with the latest drivers. A reboot is required to 'right' the video card again, before it will run anything 3d correctly. Not even ARMA should cause anything like this effect.

I thought it was my power supply not giving enough juice for the larger card, but upgrading that didn't help. Crappy ass NVidia drivers.. banghead.gif

I got PC frozen too, windowed or not, using -flush or not. It happened after some random time, let say one o two hour of game. GPU temp under 60 Celsius (with a Rivatuner fan mod).

I've now switched to nVidia drivers 175.80beta from 175.16 stable and the problem (until now) has nearly diseppeared. Just some little slowdowns and low LODs happens, but no PC hungs anymore.

8800GTS512,E6850,4GB,XP32SP2.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using @ECS.

Edit: June 23: It doesn't work. Drivers still freeze, you can see it in task manager with 'Show Kernel Times' (until the whole PC freezes too).

Its been happening to me too,

MSI K9n sli mobo

xfx 8600gt

onboard sound

the only difference is I never get any graphics corruption. but after it happens none of my games will work until I reboot.

Also I never had this problem until 1.12 and with 1.14 its gotten really bad.

I get freeze, and then graphic corruption.   If I switch resolutions on the Options screen it seems to reload the textures and things look.

A lot of time after this has happened when I exit to desktop I get a black screen that only can be fixed with a reboot.   You can tell the black screen occurs while windows is shutting down Arma and reclaiming resources.

Well, Ive replaced my power supply to a more powerfull and better one. (Replaced old one since a connector was burning in it.) Tried more drivers....

Still get these same problems.... mad_o.gif

May have found a possible fix/reason for the freezing.

Well I read on an Americas Army forums, where someone was getting freezes, and someone told them. They were also getting freezes and what they did to stop getting freezes was disable cd/dvd rom.

So I decided to give it a try. Disabled my dvd burner, and floppy drive for the hell of it, through device manager.

Played about 7 hours tonight without a problem. Maybe just a fluke again, but I'll keep playing. I'll try BF2 tomorrow, I had got a CTD when I tried it. Though I dont know if I'll be able to do that since it requires CD. I used to play BF2 without a problem.

If this is related to cd/dvd rom, Im thinking its possibly related to Securom. Which is what comes with the Atari version right?

Even thought its disabled in the patch, the software, registry and whatever should still be there....shouldn't it?

Edit: Well after about 6 hours today I got another freeze, but I did reapply my overclocks, and alt+tabbed several times as well.

I get freezes on the european version.

Seems to be pretty random sometimes i can play for minutes sometimes hours. Not sure if its my hardware or game issue. For me it freezes I can alt tab out and end the Arma process i can then restat the game and resume the mission. weird!

Ever since 1.14 I've had freezes (or ever since I got my nVidia 8800GT), not sure which prompted the change.

EVERYONE:

When it happens, hit ctrl-alt-del.

Are you able to bring up task manager about 30 seconds after you ctrl-alt-del?

I've been able to bring up windows with that, and then clicking on ArmA again (which is still running) brings me back and then I can resume play.

Edit/Added: I had an ATI x800xl before this, and NEVER had this problem. Might be nVidia related, then....

Yes, that works along with Alt-tab too.. both methods will seemingly freeze.. but when you regain control you can get back in. However it usually occurs again.

After you have experienced the problem, try exiting the game and loading something else that uses 3d, like the Pipes screensaver or the Nvidia settings preview.. On my system, that causes it to freeze and act erratically too. (pipes will take a long time to come up or go away after you move the mouse, nvidia panel will lock up, etc)

I just ordered a 4850, screw it. Nvidia drivers suck. try getting an nforce motherboard! (no really, don't) banghead.gif

I also had this problem after installation of 1.14. I could play for one hour max (often just a couple of minutes) and then the picture got black and the sound just repeated itself.

I have changed the graphics settings to high performance. After this I have never experienced any freezing. (I did enable a few settings in the Nvidia control panel after this but I do not sit by my computer now).

8800 GTS 640MB - v175.16 driver. Windows Vista x64 (2MB Ram).

Installed 177.70 and tested for my 8800 GTS 512.

Changed the Nvidia settings for arma.exe to (translation attempt):

* AA gamma disabled * AA controlled by application * AA multisampling for transparency * Triple buffer enabled * Texture High quality (means no optimization) * No thread optimization * Force V-Sync * Two other filters I can't tranlate, disabled both.

My ArmA settings are * Terrain normal * Objects Very high * Texture normal * Shading normal * postproc low * asintropic Very high * shadow very high * AA normal * no blood.

Now RivaTuner Hardware monitoring shows me local videomemory usage quite constant, neved reached 512MB, but more surprisingly non-local videomem never goes over 20MB!

In past, a sign of an incoming crash/freeze was the non-local videomemory going over 246MB.

I had the same problem, I think it's nvidia driver problem which they can't be arsed to fix.

I don't have it anymore since installing a HD 4870. Also the mouselag was gone too.

I can second that, no problems whatsoever after switching to a HD4870.

With my 8800gt the game was unplayable, it would lock up my comp after a short while.

I've had the same problem in some games, but mostly in ArmA, with any 17x.xx series driver. I randomly received the message "Driver stop responding", or without any mesages games have crushed to desktop with graphics frozen.

Just updated drivers for my GF 8800GTS 512 to 177.79 (WinXP 32bit, WHQL candidate). No freezes since yesterday... Overall time played - about 5 hours.

My system: Athlon 64X2 5000BE@3000, Biostar TF570SLI, 3Gb (2x1024 and 2x512 dual channel) DDR2 PC6400 (Samsung), Gigabyte GF8800GTS 512Mb, 2xNEC 7203S DVDRW, HDD Seagate Barracuda-II 400Gb SATAII, Hiper 580W Power supply. 2x120mm and 4x90mm coolers inside the case smile_o.gif

I recently started having crashing problems as well.

Running Vista64 with a 8800GTS 640mb.

I am an ARMA admin over at Tactical Gamer, and found this thread while looking for a cure. I have also been talking to other TG players and it looks like a ton of them are having crashing problems with Nvidia cards. Mostly 8800's, but one guy is running a 9600GT.

I updated to the newest official drivers last night to check them, and have had 2 crashes since. At first I thought it might be heat related, but I have an Antec p182 case (best case there is, if anyone is looking at cases) and it has awesome airflow. Everything is running cool. This just started about a month and a half ago, and seems to have become more frequent. Some nights no crash, others 3 crashes.

I am also getting an windows error report that points to Nvidia driver failer when it reboots.

By the way, my crash is like this. Playing anything, nothing really going on in particlular, and the screens (dual monitor setup) kind of flicker for a moment, then main one goes black, and the other has some random bands of stuff on the screen. Sometimes sounds keep repeating themselves over and over, or I can still hear comms like nothing is wrong.

It then goes black on both screens, and will stay that way till blue screen of death after a few mins, or I just have to hard crash the system.

There are supposed to be new drivers released in the next couple of weeks that include the physiX stuff, and I guess I will wait and try them out. If that doesn't work I am really thinking about going ATI. It really sucks as admin to keep crashing, and even worse when you are flying a blackhawk full of troops and you crash out. Guys in the back are not very happy. banghead.gif

Article about the new drivers:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15261

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and fixed it?

I started getting these freeze ups / Crashes a while back. I built a new computer, and everything seemed to be fine. But as I was playing for longer periods of time >2 hours or so at a time, I would get a freeze / Crash and sometimes I couldn't recover without a reset.

I checked temperatures and everything was normal. I searched the forums and found a few things, however I really never saw a fix.

I started playing around with the settings in the NVidia Control panel and I found that if I turned Threaded Optimization off, I was able to play for a solid 3 hours without a freeze. This used to happen every time I played longer than a hour.

I've been running XAM 1.5 and this seems to cause the problem more rapidly than if I just run stock setup. I'm sure this isn't a problem with XAM, but just more demanding.

I'm wondering if this is really a driver problem that is associated with multi core processors?

My new Computer-

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Asus P5QL-E Motherboard

3 Gig Corsair 1066 Mhz memory

PNY 9600GT 512MB Video PCIE